My name is Patrick Bowman and go by the handle “Kewk”. October will mark my 4th year at Activision. My title right now is “Production Tester”. I have worked on just about every FPS game that has left Activision including EF1 and I was the Multiplayer Test Lead on the project. But most importantly… I like to strafe jump! ]:)
When I was first told I would be coming down to Texas to work with
Ritual I was quite ecstatic. It’s not every day that you get
to work with such a talented development team such as Ritual. :D
I am now on my 3rd week here (not 3 weeks straight mind you) and will be working with them until they finalize beta. I will remain on the project until it is complete but my time will be spent back home at Activision. For anyone who is going to E3 this year you can pretty much count on me being there to show this title off. :)
My Average Day At Ritual
- 8:00 – Wake up, time to use the restroom and play something on my GBA SP :)
- 9:00 – Get into the office and prepare.
- 9:15 – Get info from the team leads on which missions to work on and follow through with the tasks.
- 12:00 – Time for lunch, because Activision expenses my lunches I usually dine out at the most elaborate restaurant in the area… Just kidding PingEnvy. :)
- 1:00 – Back from lunch and back to my tasks.
- 3:00 – Finalize and review reports to make sure they’re cohesive.
- 3:10 – Send off completed reports.
- 3:30 – Meet with the team about issues in the reports. Discuss which are beta acceptable and which are not.
- 4:00 – Get updated/new game files off the network. Go over all bugs that have been fixed to ensure they are fixed and have not caused new issues.
- 8:00 – Finalize and review reports to make sure they’re cohesive.
- 9:10 – Send out completed reports.
- 9:30 – Play some multiplayer HM games
- 10:00 – Head back to my hotel after bringing the pain in HM :)
While here at Ritual my job is to find and communicate problem (bugs) areas with the game and get them fixed. Throughout the day I am given tasks by the team. Jon or Chris will generally come to me and tell me to check out specific missions. Other times some of the programmers will come over and have me reproduce bugs for them as well.
When I am done with a mission they will print out my reports. These will end up on a wall where the mappers will look at, make a weird grunt noise ;), and go back to their desk to fix the issue. If they have any problems reproducing the bugs they will come to me and I will reproduce it for them.
Working here and seeing all the progression that is made while I am here is, and continues to be, very rewarding. In the past week they have gone through every possible bug till they were fixed and then some. These guys go all out when it comes to the quality of their game. If starting at 10am Sunday morning and staying till 4am Monday isn’t all out I really don’t know what is. :) It’s amazing how devoted these guys are to shipping a polished, fun, and visually impressive game. For example, the Tetryon Gatling Gun received a new skin and it looks 100x’s better then it previously did. I know you all will be VERY impressed with the game when it ship’s out.
Ritualistic would like to thank Patrick "Kewk" Bowman for writing this article for us. If any bugs surface in the retail version, we'll be sure to contact you. ;)