Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   windows xp and v-synce help needed (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18429)

The MiMiC 08-15-2006 04:31 AM

windows xp and v-synce help needed

Tried finding a way to do this before, couldn't, so I'm asking here I guess.
Is there any way to force v-sync on the windows desktop? Or in open windows in XP?
Using a LCD panel, and even CRT, whenever I run anything other than a DVD in a window, there is noticeable tearing and V-Sync doesn't seem to work. I've tried forcing it through drivers and through dxdiagnostic, no change. Any suggestions? V-sync works fullscreen however.

Standoff 08-15-2006 05:38 AM

Re: windows xp and v-synce help needed

V-sync is a 3d only feature and won't affect the XP desktop at all.

ertertwert 08-18-2006 10:43 PM

You could try changing the refresh rate on your monitor.

Standoff 08-19-2006 03:35 AM

I don't think that was the problem, but the question wasn't very clear on the actual problem.

Clarity. It helps me help you.

UTWarden 08-25-2006 11:38 AM

multires program?

Bare in mind peeps MiMiC's first language isn't english if I remember correctly.

Standoff 08-25-2006 03:09 PM

Well, I guess what I was asking was more whether he was doing these other things while running a DVD or it was going on all the time.

If it's going on all the time, it could be any number of problems, heat related, power management related, bad drivers, crappy software, I'd have to be at the machine to really figure that one out. Certainly can't rule out viruses or spyware problems...

Need more information to diagnose.

The MiMiC 12-04-2006 04:29 AM

I read the response from 8-15, didn't see another in the next two days, and forgot about the post since it seemed to answer my question. Today I'm reading the forums, notice the post is still here, read it, and get a smile out of it.
English is my first language btw, American English that is, hehe. I guess I didn't make my question too clear looking back on it.
Anyways, what I meant was this. I was, at the time, playing SiN Episodes in windowed mode in an effort to get the game to run a bit smoother. I tried enabling v-sync while playing in a window, and it didn't work, game still had tearing which I could only stop by putting it into full screen mode. I then tried City of Heroes in window, noticed it tore also when there was some decent horizontal movement going on even with v-sync enabled.
What I meant by the comment about DVD's was that when I watch a DVD, using Cyberlink player, I can have it either full screen or windowed and it still does not tear visually when there is movement in the scenes. This is opposed to SiN:E which did tear, or even a Quicktime movie, which can tear pretty badly with a lot of movement going on. Or, for that matter, side scrolling arcade style games. I'm thinking it might have to do with hardware overlay from my GF6800 providing v-sync only for DVD movies maybe? No idea, but the remark about v-sync only working in 3-D seemed to be the reason, at least fullscreen 3-D where the game was concerned, so I didn't bother to read the post again. In fact, I'm not even sure why I'm responding now, lol. Guess I was just in the mood to.