Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Condition Zero & CS Xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Counter strike on xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11244)

fazCz8 03-21-2003 08:23 PM

Counter strike on xbox

hi.when will u think counter-strike will be out for xbox?i wish it comes out beofre sep.cause thats when will have to go back to school and i dun want to wait till then.
tell me is this version CSCZ on xbox the same on PC?or is it different.is there coup?i whish there is?tell me all the things they'll have on xbox instend of the PC

thank you [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MadOnion 03-21-2003 10:01 PM

Re: Counter strike on xbox

An official announcement is supposed to be made mid-May (at the E3 Expo) regarding the Xbox version of Condition Zero.

The Xbox version is rumored to be slated for release around Christmas time. A co-op multiplayer mode hasn't been ruled out completely yet. Castle, a level designer on the CZ team, did state previously that he had run into a "few very difficult issues with co-op mode." Keep in mind that Valve hasn't revealed who's the developer.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 10:16 PM

is it posible that it can come out in late aug. or sumthin like that?And how many players will it be?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 10:23 PM

I wouldn't expect the Xbox version to be out by September. Hopefully the PC version will be out by then.

The existing CS multiplayer maps support up to 32 players. Most maps only allow up to 20 players. No word on how many players will be supported in CZ multiplayer maps, they could support up to 64 players in a very large environment.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 10:41 PM

do u knoe when it would prob. be out?will there be a demo on it that we can try?

fazCz8 03-21-2003 10:42 PM

Also how many players will be on it for coop?And how many for the botz mode?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 10:53 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
cooperative mode? (keep in mind that Iím speaking for myself not all of Ritual or anyone else.)
Itís a pretty tough thing to add to an engine that is designed to have fairly small levels. Each map in half life is pretty small. Have you ever played Sven(sp?) coop before in half life? To me it was the most frustrating thing in the world because every time a guy turned a corner we would all end up level loading and god forbid we had a guy on the server who walked backwards and loaded the old level and we all had to then go back to the next level again. However than you can go and say ďWell lets make bigger levelsĒ Then you end up with maps that donít run very well and take ages to compile and you needed a cable modem to play because larger numbers of monsters took so much more bandwidth. There are too many hurdles to overcome to create a really good not frustrating coop experience on this engine. It just doesnít seem like a feasible option. Not to me anyway.

[Post by Castle]

[/ QUOTE ]Basically, limitations of the Half-Life engine prevent what may seem like a simple concept from being implemented.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Yes you are right that it would be cool in my opinion. However in concept the main issue isnít whether or not if it would be cool but rather the size of the levels vs bandwidth vs engine limitations. Yeah it would be cool but you might not realize that the maps in half life tend to be much smaller chunks than what you would find in many other game engines. If you play coop in half life when ever your buddy walks down a hallway all of you will be forced to load the next level. Itís not like doom or Serious Sam where the levels are actually full levels and the ending is well defined with a switch or an end boss. Take a look at half life and notice that all the levels are blended together by using nearly seamless level loading triggers. There was never one level that defined an entire section of half life but rather many smaller pieces that are fitted together to create a very effective illusion of a continuous world. So right away in concept you are hit with a very real limitation that is by no means easily overcome.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though a feature may seem simple in concept to pull off like leaning around corners you are immediately going to find that what you might think of as a small change will soon snowball. I the game design world itís commonly known as feature creep. So yes in theory being able to make the player able to lean around corners would be simple, However once that was added in then some one will say. Well we are going to need to make sure that there is animations to go with the leaning otherwise people can exploit this to see around corners with no risk to themselves. Then some one else yells out well if we are going to do that we need all the bad guys to do it too or something like that. And by all means all these new features that crop up to accommodate one new thing are usually always justifiable or even necessary.
So as you might see that little feature isnít so little anymore. When ever you think about a new feature you need to think about it as a whole package as well.

[Post by Castle]

[/ QUOTE ] This post says that co-op isn't feasible because of engine limitations, bandwidth issues and the size of levels (loading time).

fazCz8 03-21-2003 10:58 PM

how many players can be in the botz multiplayer?and how many botz can u put in it?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 11:00 PM

Right now, it's safe to say that co-op mode won't be included in the PC version of CZ. The Xbox version may include a revamped engine that is capable of supporting up to 64 players, can handle large environments with ease, won't face bandwidth limitations because a high-speed connection is necessary to play on Xbox Live, and so on. In other words, I think co-op for the Xbox is possible.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 11:03 PM

what about for offline? how many ppl can play it the botz multiplayer.And how many players can play in the coop on xbox?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 11:05 PM

I'm merely speculating. I don't know how many bots will be allowed, probably the max number of players supported by a particular map. A map's author will determine the max number of players.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 11:07 PM

when will they give u that infomation?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 11:14 PM

The same way I would bribe a toddler. I'll make an irresistable offer of sweet confections in exchange for the info or cooperation.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 11:18 PM

one more thing can u give me a guess of when will CSCZ come out on to xbox?like what month?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 11:24 PM

One acronym: E3.

Ed Fries, head of Microsoft Game Studios, mentioned in passing that Counter-Strike is going to be one of the big games announced at E3. You'll have to wait until then. Note that Valve isn't known for committing to public release dates.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 11:31 PM

will there be a demo for CSCZ on xbox?And also are there any magazines that will be talking about CSCZ on xbox or for PC? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

fazCz8 03-21-2003 11:33 PM

will there be a demo coming out fo CSCZ on xbox?and is there any magazines that talk about CSCZ on xbox or pc?

thank you

MadOnion 03-21-2003 11:43 PM

Pick up the April 2002 issues of PC Gamer and CGW. A trailer is included on the demo disc of CGW and more material is supposed to be included in the following month's (May) issue. Condition Zero and Elite Force II are mentioned in PC Gamer's preview of nearly 200 hot games in development. An upcoming issue (possibly May) of German publication Gamestar will feature CZ on its cover. This issue will include a preview, new screenshots and more goodies.

fazCz8 03-21-2003 11:47 PM

how about for xbox,?is there a mag. for that? and also is there gonna be a demo coming out for CSCZ on xbox?

MadOnion 03-21-2003 11:57 PM

You have to remember that CZ hasn't been announced for the Xbox. As soon as it's announced, you can expect previews and lots more details.

The official Xbox mag will likely include a playable demo when the time comes.

badman 03-22-2003 04:04 AM

As pointed out by MadOnion, the Xbox version of Counter-Strike will make a big splash at this year's E3 show taking place from May 14 - 16 in Los Angeles. I would guess that we will see quite a lot of previews online and in various print magazines then, including information on the estimated release date.

fazCz8 03-23-2003 07:51 PM

do u think the missions on xbox will be the same on pc
?

MadOnion 03-23-2003 07:54 PM

Most likely. Microsoft does have a tendency to request (and probably offer to pay for) exclusive levels and such. An exclusive level to the Xbox version would come in addition to the standard levels.

fazCz8 03-23-2003 08:39 PM

on xbox do u think threr whould be terroists missions?

badman 03-23-2003 09:09 PM

I doubt it.