Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Condition Zero & CS Xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CZ system requirements according to Sierra, wtf? (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12445)

ShellShock 06-28-2003 07:31 PM

CZ system requirements according to Sierra, wtf?

One thing that I feel was kind of a letdown was the fact that CSX was getting exclusive graphics enhancements such as, 24-bit textures, and new lighting and particle effects.

One of Ritual's programmers, ArchV, stated that the reason why CS:CZ for PC wasn't going to recieve these graphical enhancements is because Valve required that CS:CZ support Software Rendering.

I can understand Valve not wanting to leave out those who are stuck playing in Software (would a $20 GeforceMX be so hard to purchase?).

Yet, check out CS:CZs official system requirements on Sierra's webpage http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=125

System Requirements

Minimum:
Pentium III 500 MHz
96 MB RAM
16 MB Video Card
500 MB HD Space
Win-Compatible Sound Card
Mouse, Keyboard

Preferred:
Pentium III 800 MHz
128 MB RAM
32+ MB Video Card

A 16meg Video card is required, and a 32meg video card is preferred. So what does all this mean? It means that Sierra and Ritual will only official support users who meet the games required criteria. If you have a 16meg Video card, there is no reason to play in Software mode. And if there is no reason to play in Software mode, then why is Ritual limmiting the graphics in CS:CZ to support software users!?

enfestid 06-28-2003 08:42 PM

Re: CZ system requirements according to Sierra, wtf?

I don't see what you're complaining about... The graphics will look fine on a low-end system, and that's all that matters, right? Plus, gameplay is the main selling factor of CZ. Most people won't buy it for the graphics (though I think they look good, myself).

I'm sure a Ritual employee will reply and ease your fears [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kalabalana 06-29-2003 12:06 AM

nope, the fears on this matter will not be eased. ritual was forced to cut very nice things from the game to maximise their profits. those of us who would like the new csx improvements will not get them. these fears are based on reality and are not unwarrented.

ShellShock 06-29-2003 12:07 AM

Thats not my point. My point is why is Ritual limmiting CS:CZ's graphics to support the extream low-end when the official requirments say otherwise?

I mean have you seen the screenshots for CSX? The texture detail is simply awsome with 24 bit color. The colors are bright and vivid, unlike the dull---washed out textures in standard CS. CS: CZ does look good on PC, but it could look even better.

Wolf8218 06-29-2003 12:18 AM

I really think they should stop bitchin about how some ppl's systems couldnt support it.
Im running Unreal II (possibly one of the most graphically intense FPS out yet) on that $20 GeforceMX with all details up [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
i think theyre using that as an excuse to be able to give the XBOX a lil something extra from the PC version.. NOT COOL

enfestid 06-29-2003 02:07 AM

Quote:

Thats not my point. My point is why is Ritual limmiting CS:CZ's graphics to support the extream low-end when the official requirments say otherwise?

I mean have you seen the screenshots for CSX? The texture detail is simply awsome with 24 bit color. The colors are bright and vivid, unlike the dull---washed out textures in standard CS. CS: CZ does look good on PC, but it could look even better.

That would take out probably well over half of the consumer base, however. Ritual has already adressed that matter in numerous posts here.

ShellShock 06-29-2003 11:29 AM

The system requirements already take out that portion of the consumer base! Look closely, it is reccomended that you have an 800mhz CPU and a 32meg video card! Personaly, I'd expect eye-candy like 24-bit textures if the specs for a Half-Life engine based game are going to be that high.

enfestid 06-29-2003 12:02 PM

Recommended and needed are two completely different affairs entirely.

Kalabalana 06-29-2003 12:30 PM

I was wondering if maybe modifying the halflife engine to support 24 bit rendering:
would be possible? (does csx use the same code as pc half-life engine? If 24 bit was brought to pc, what effects could it have on online gaming? Computer game setting should be the same for all gamers to even the playing field.)
would raise the system requirements a significant amount? (the xbox is a dedicated machine for graphics, it's performace would only be matched in a computer with reasonably better hardware.)
would be that great of a graphical improvement to simply increasing the resolution up to the next level? (given that 24 bit texture rendering may eat up a similar amount of cpu resources respectably to the next stage up in the gaming resolution. Keep in mind that xbox users cannot turn up gaming resolution, they are stuck at a very low resolution, and 24 bit texture rendering is in a sense a way around this resolution lock out.)

contraband 06-29-2003 04:24 PM

Actually, CS 1.6 supports 32-bit rendering. You can choose between 16 and 32-bit in the options.

So, I'm assuming Condition Zero supports it too.

Wolf8218 06-29-2003 06:39 PM

yea but how the heck would you use 24/32 bit textures if all you have are the 16 bit ones?
you would have to redo the whole game.

pycckuu_4ybak 06-30-2003 12:06 AM

well i have a friend who has an old computer and cant use internet explorer becasue his comp is like 6 years old. but i mean, who would have a crappy ass computer and buy games? if you computer is older then pentium 2, its only good for word processing. i dont like all this sierra/valve "we need to support players with old comps bs", because it is BS. make the game look atleast a little bit better and make the people want to buy it because even though its a 5 year old engine, it looks better.
ask yourself a funny question: how many times do you think you are gonna replay the sp in cs:cz?

hearst44 06-30-2003 12:37 AM

Re: CZ system requirements according to Sierra, wt

At least 5 times if there are really cool levels and im guessing there are.

hearst44 06-30-2003 12:39 AM

Also there are a lot of people who are getting it for either both or just the single player. not everybody are die hard cs multiplayer fans. It takes a lot of time for people to get into the mulitplayer of a game.

Automator 06-30-2003 04:11 AM

I'm wondering how many people is valve gonna alienate by bumping up the specs. It has always been my guess that most cs players have at least a video card that will get them out of software mode. Most my friends that dont want to upgrade their computer but occasonally play cs can run at 800x600 in direct3d on their onboard vid cards. Plus with how cheap the cards go for today its not that bad to bump up the minimum requirements.
When i first started playing half-life/cs i used a 300mhz celeron with 128 megs but with a geforce2 mx it ran beautifully. I dont want the feel of cs to go and i really only want a single player cs experience so im not really complaining. I just dont understand the reasoning.

Wolf8218 06-30-2003 07:48 PM

i dont know why but D3D looks all wierd in my PC so i use OpenGL

enfestid 07-01-2003 01:39 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering how many people is valve gonna alienate by bumping up the specs. It has always been my guess that most cs players have at least a video card that will get them out of software mode. Most my friends that dont want to upgrade their computer but occasonally play cs can run at 800x600 in direct3d on their onboard vid cards. Plus with how cheap the cards go for today its not that bad to bump up the minimum requirements.
When i first started playing half-life/cs i used a 300mhz celeron with 128 megs but with a geforce2 mx it ran beautifully. I dont want the feel of cs to go and i really only want a single player cs experience so im not really complaining. I just dont understand the reasoning.

Most people probably won't be alienated.

And, minimum system specs doesn't mean that's required. It means that all that they'll support [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I've gotten tons of games to run on lower-end systems. Heck, I've got Unreal II to run on a 700MHz machine at about 12-25FPS

blob 07-05-2003 02:36 AM

If people have lower-end sys. why cant they release a "HD Pack" like in blue-shift. Or they dont buy cz and stick to the mp.

Kalabalana 07-05-2003 03:14 AM

well cz is done, ritual is sitting back and still tweaking the game, because there really is nothing else to do until the go ahead for release is given. Why not build a high definition system? Maybe Valve will fund it? I am not familiar with this type of coding, would it be feasible to build a hd pack in a few weeks?

Automator 07-05-2003 03:39 AM

If cz is done, ritual is probably working on cs for the xbox.

MadOnion 07-05-2003 07:57 AM

Condition Zero multiplayer already contains the "Counter-Strike HD Pack." This pack upgrades the weapons and characters with far more detailed content. The difference between Condition Zero's visuals and those of Counter-Strike is a lot like how Half-Life: Blue Shift improved the appearance of the original Half-Life.

d4rksuN 07-05-2003 01:16 PM

As compared to HL: Blue Shift, that's not as much improvement as I would expect, but I have to admit, Half-Life was a lot more enjoyable playing through the second time with the HD pack. The same goes for Opposing Forces.

Kalabalana 07-05-2003 01:57 PM

Couldn't a hd pack for multiplayer easily be used to increase the graphics of most of the entities in sp?

enfestid 07-05-2003 02:26 PM

Quote:

As compared to HL: Blue Shift, that's not as much improvement as I would expect, but I have to admit, Half-Life was a lot more enjoyable playing through the second time with the HD pack. The same goes for Opposing Forces.

Really? I think the new graphics in CZ for CS look a ton better than what Blue Shift did for HL.

EDIT: These are relatively old shots of CZ, I think they look a ton better than CS, myself:

And the new weapon and player models = *drool*... So much better than CS it's not even funny [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kalabalana 07-05-2003 02:36 PM

dammit, I've never played blue shift or opposing force. It would've been great if I were able to through Steam. But I'm not.