Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   EF2 Editing Forum (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Thoughts on starting to make maps for EF2 (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12469)

Final_Frontier 06-29-2003 11:14 AM

Thoughts on starting to make maps for EF2

I don't know if this thread should be moved to the editing forum or to somewhere else but I'll just post it here and see what happens. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I am thinking of starting to make maps for EF2 and I have a few questions. You should know that I am completely new to this (map making of ANY kind), so I'm a complete n00b. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Thinking of that last scentence I just wrote, maybe it's to hard for me to start making maps with such complex tools as the first thing I do. Well, that's what I intend to find out. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Right, the questions (some -all?- are directed to those with a bit of experience in the subject)!
What experience does it take (what things should you have done/tried before you get into map making)?
Do I need programming skills (what language)?
Any other tips or help is extremely appreciated (I'm sure that I have forgotten at least a dozen questions).

I hope to be an experienced mapper some day, and I hope this post is the start! I know that I sound like the most naive person in the world but I have to start somewhere.

KevinUK 06-29-2003 11:51 AM

Re: Thoughts on starting to make maps for EF2

Just learn the software that will be released, thats all you need really. You could go on to learn to make textures and stuff but you can avoid that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just get the editor and play about [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Once you know what to do then try designing maps and work on the layout...thats all I can think of [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Atolm 06-29-2003 11:51 AM

Don't be afraid!
You don't really need any previous experience. And coding certainly is not part of the job description.

All you need is a creative mind and lots of devotion.

Final_Frontier 06-29-2003 12:07 PM

Well, I sure have a creative mind! And the devotion... well, when I start something I kinda have to finish it although it may take some time as I want everything to be perfect. It's probably like short stories. I've started writing a science fiction trilogy (first part complete sorry it's in swedish but for those who want it just e-mail me) and I've written a few pages on the second part. But right now I've stopped writing as I simply don't have the... you know. Hope to get it finished this summer though. I guess it's the same thing with making maps. If you have an idea and start to realize it you want to get it finished. But maybe the most important thing is to not make a pause, because that's when there _might_ take VERY long time until you start again. I'm quite sure that I have the proper devotion for making maps. I have always liked creating things.