Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Condition Zero & CS Xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CSX question (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13609)

Rogue_Warrior 09-02-2003 08:22 PM

CSX question

Ok, so what's the deal? Is CS:CZ for X-Box going to have any kind of split screen? That'd be a real damn shame if it didn't. There aren't any good multiplayer FPS's coming out until Halo 2, and thats a long ways away. Any reponse from a Ritualistic staff member would be appreciated.

badman 09-02-2003 08:31 PM

Re: CSX question

No splitscreen in CSX. System Link, however, is supported in addition to Xbox Live.

BrushBaron 09-02-2003 10:23 PM

having split screen requires rendering the level twice. To do that we'd have to sacrifice a lot of what makes CSX unique and fun on the xbox.

ATimson 09-04-2003 02:43 AM

"Unique and fun"... Just how different is it from the PC version?

BrushBaron 09-04-2003 12:31 PM

It's not different than the PC version, but it's different from other xbox games.

ATimson 09-04-2003 01:03 PM

Okay. Now I understand. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Automator 09-04-2003 04:50 PM

I dont get how all this tech talk comes into play. Wouldn't it seem logical that you could match halo on coop and split screen. You have a quake engine based game running on a geforce 3 ti, I would expect these things.

BirdDawg 09-04-2003 05:02 PM

Quote:

You have a quake engine based game running on a geforce 3 ti, I would expect these things.

Quake engine games are PC-oriented, so they assume that they are the only game running, getting input from one player on one keyboard/mouse and outputting to one monitor. The whole engine is oriented towards that idea; adding support for 1-3 additional simultaneous players would require a complete rewrite of the engine.

Automator 09-05-2003 04:19 AM

Thank you for explaining things. I am now at peace with many assumptions i had made.

gunfu 09-15-2003 10:45 PM

Quote:

I dont get how all this tech talk comes into play. Wouldn't it seem logical that you could match halo on coop and split screen. You have a quake engine based game running on a geforce 3 ti, I would expect these things.

quake1 is a really old rendering technology. It's based on a vertical scanline software rasterizer that Michael Abrash wrote for the Pentium (1!) chipset. The 3D version of that rasterizer (which came a year later and was written for Rendition Verite and 3Dfx SST1 chipsets) doesn't take advantage of vertex shaders, pixel shaders, vertex buffers, static pushbuffers, or hardware transform and lighting. A half-life engine game like CSX is mostly CPU bound on an xbox, which only has a 600MHz *celeron* CPU.

So you can throw as much video card you want at a half-life engine game; if you're memory and CPU limited, you can't do anything else with it.

So we did some other things to eat up extra fill rate (high dynamic range light bloom, dynamic iris simulation/gamma ramp, detail textures, pixel shader water, etc) that doesn't require extra CPU. Because there's no CPU left, unless the entire engine gets rewritten. On a relatively short development cycle like CSX, there's just not time to do that.

No splitscreen. But you can play 2 players on system link and play coop against bots, or do the same on Live.

Joe

kevin442 09-15-2003 11:12 PM

HEY ZOSO HALO HAS GONE GOLD YES YES YES [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] SEP 30 ILL BE FRAGGING

Wolf8218 09-16-2003 12:07 AM

no, youll be stuttering !!!
haha if i remember correctly, your machines gonna have to run it at 640x480

zoso 09-16-2003 12:48 PM

Quote:

HEY ZOSO HALO HAS GONE GOLD YES YES YES [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] SEP 30 ILL BE FRAGGING

yeah... i can't wait.. i was talking to my friend at gearbox about it... i think i'm more excited than him!

Wolf8218 09-16-2003 09:44 PM

WOW! i just turned my AGP aperture setting to 256 and WOW what a difference!

badman 09-16-2003 09:51 PM

HALO = Miscellaneous

ildon 09-30-2003 05:49 AM

Quote:

quake1 is a really old rendering technology. It's based on a vertical scanline software rasterizer that Michael Abrash wrote for the Pentium (1!) chipset. The 3D version of that rasterizer (which came a year later and was written for Rendition Verite and 3Dfx SST1 chipsets) doesn't take advantage of vertex shaders, pixel shaders, vertex buffers, static pushbuffers, or hardware transform and lighting. A half-life engine game like CSX is mostly CPU bound on an xbox, which only has a 600MHz *celeron* CPU.

So you can throw as much video card you want at a half-life engine game; if you're memory and CPU limited, you can't do anything else with it.

So we did some other things to eat up extra fill rate (high dynamic range light bloom, dynamic iris simulation/gamma ramp, detail textures, pixel shader water, etc) that doesn't require extra CPU. Because there's no CPU left, unless the entire engine gets rewritten. On a relatively short development cycle like CSX, there's just not time to do that.

No splitscreen. But you can play 2 players on system link and play coop against bots, or do the same on Live.

Joe

http://www.fuhquake.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1686
*ducks*

(Yeah I know it only works for demos so far (so it can totally ignore input...) and that being q1 textures/polycount it isn't exactly fillrate intensive... I'm just messing with you! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])