Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Condition Zero & CS Xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   who gets the money? (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13812)

Automator 09-13-2003 08:37 PM

who gets the money?

i was thinking about the whole steam thing and how valve will make all the profit from people buying hl2 over steam. what i was wondering is if valve is going to be be like a publisher for ritual when cz is sold over steam. Is valve going to have to give ritual a chunk of the profit, or is ritual getting all of it, or valve getting it all, or what?
I'm guessing the answer will be logical but i was just wondering.

Ice_Commando 09-14-2003 12:11 AM

Re: who gets the money?

What your saying doesn't make any sense, valve payed ritual, a development team, to make the game-- how the actual game is published doesn't have anything to do with ritual. Second, valve isn't a publisher-- but steam gives them the ability to not necessarily have to go through a publisher in order to get the game in people's hands.

Automator 09-14-2003 04:36 AM

I understand that valve isnt a publisher, what i was thinking is that valve could play publisher by selling a game on steam and taxing the developer.
So what your saying is that valve payed ritual a flat payment for developing cz and is doesn't matter if it sells well or not to ritual (moneywise)? Is that accurate information?

BrushBaron 09-14-2003 02:37 PM

No one is going to get an official response on this matter. It's really no one's business.

Kalabalana 09-14-2003 02:52 PM

it's simple, no publisher = save huge money. online availability appeals to alot of people ie. more people buy game, and if price is same online, valve gets a hell of alot more money, not the game designers like ritual

Wolf8218 09-14-2003 03:10 PM

either way, there is no fu cking way im gonna buy it online, i like having a room full of boxes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

one word comes to mind: reformat....

Torpedo 09-14-2003 07:08 PM

Yeah, DLing 20 gigs of games every time you nuke your drive doesn't really appeal to me either.

Kalabalana 09-14-2003 07:26 PM

lol rgr, I think steam might offer some sort of cd package for download though
if not, [censored] them

Wolf8218 09-15-2003 12:10 AM

download a cd?
then it magically appears in your drive? what if you already had a cd there?

d4rksuN 09-15-2003 12:28 AM

I believe he's thinking more along the lines of a CD image.

Automator 09-15-2003 12:39 AM

i doubt they'll give it to you in a cd image file, but you could ofcourse burn your own back up of the cache.

Ice_Commando 09-15-2003 06:07 PM

I doubt many people are going to bother with steam when all of the games are being released in stores simultaneously-- I was thinking about using it, but after that experience with 1.6 I think i'll just stick to the boxed games.
Tycho from PA summed it up best: " That's not the future of content delivery, it's the future of [censored] pissing me off ."

Wolf8218 09-15-2003 06:45 PM

lol, have you read the gabe newell interview at halflife2.net?

"Athlon7 asks: The Steam delivery method is sure to be very popular for the nearing HL2 release. Are you confident that the server infrastructure in place will be able to handle the massive amounts of bandwidth required by the thousands downloading HL2 via steam?
Gabe Newell: This issue scares the pants off of us. Every time we think we understand the aggregate demand that can be created by the community, we find that we have underestimated it catastrophically."