Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Star Trek Elite Force II (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Patch availability concerns (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14746)

gameRevolt 01-03-2004 06:08 PM

Patch availability concerns

I'm a bit concerned that new EF2 players are going to be put off the game because they don't find out about the patch.

The game itself - No kind of update mechanism and completely cut off from patched servers (can't see any patched servers)
Official game site - no patch info
Official Ritual site - no patch info
Official Star trek gaming site - no patch info for EF2, but a list of patches for the other games (suggesting that there is no EF2 patch)
Activision site - nothing on any Star Trek games anymore

I think that most new players won't stumble across Ritualistic or one of the unofficial fan sites, and decide that there are very few Ef2 game servers are that the multiplayer is poor, and stop playing it. But if those same players got hold of the patch, they would see a lot more servers, lots of other players, and far better gameplay.

I know this is a bit late, but please can we have links to the patch put up on as many official places as possible, it might just get some new players. It would only take 10 minutes for someone with access to change the official ef2 site so that the patch is in the download list! And I'm sure it would be possible to knock up a dummy server that enters the 1.0 server list and is named "CRUCIAL: UPGRADE TO 1.1".

Raichu 01-03-2004 08:26 PM

Re: Patch availability concerns

How a dummy server that:
Has 15 bots to attract people
20 total player slots
Modified script for the default server map to give the "UPDATE TO EF2 1.1!!! DOWNLOAD PATCH AT ****.com" message every 5 seconds
Disabled voting so the players cant change the map to a map without a modified script
Named "Upgrade to EF2 1.1 NOW!"

15 players (but actually bots) people will come, unless they know theyre all bots...

Anyone with an unpatched EF2 can do this, or anyone whos willing to spare 1 GB of disk space to install a unpatched EF2
________
EXTREME Q VAPORIZER

Tempest 01-03-2004 09:09 PM

Thats actually a great idea, although i did raise the idea when the patch 1.1 was out.

gameRevolt 01-03-2004 11:26 PM

Well I'd do it but the linux server is 1.1 only

Raichu 01-03-2004 11:29 PM

Got windows?
________
Bdsm Painful

gameRevolt 01-04-2004 12:21 AM

Not a Windows computer turned on and connected all day like our dedicated linux server is

Raichu 01-04-2004 12:31 AM

maybe it'd be possible to mod the game source to make 1.1 servers appear on 1.0 lists.... unless this part isnt in the released game source [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
________
Maryjane

badman 01-04-2004 03:57 AM

The official Elite Force II site is no longer updated for legal reasons. Same goes for gaming.startrek.com, which I think was maintained by Activision.

The game's patch function (available from the start menu) *should* work, but I'm presently unable to verify this.

I'll see about putting a permanent patch notice on the Ritual website on Monday (it's already mentioned in the news section), as I don't have access to the server from here.

Cube 01-05-2004 06:02 AM

another idea would be for a couple of people to have a unpatched version and go into unpatched games with people in and spam download the patch links, as well as the dummy server idea

Raichu 01-05-2004 11:56 AM

You might as well ser your name to "GET THE EF2 PATCH NOW" so the players wont know your real name if they came to hate you for spam [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
________
YAMAHA DX7 HISTORY

GaSplat 01-05-2004 11:59 PM

I raised this concern as well (and caught flak for professing to care about newbies) and have a mod that is perfect for spamming the upgrade now message if someone wants it (heh, caught some flak for the mod also - good thing I like flak [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

Raichu 01-06-2004 12:11 AM

Quote:

The official Elite Force II site is no longer updated for legal reasons. Same goes for gaming.startrek.com, which I think was maintained by Activision.

The game's patch function (available from the start menu) *should* work, but I'm presently unable to verify this.

I'll see about putting a permanent patch notice on the Ritual website on Monday (it's already mentioned in the news section), as I don't have access to the server from here.

ACK! LEGAL REASONS ARE WHAT CAN RUIN A GOOD GAME!!!
and ef2 is a good example of it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
________
XXX MOVIES FREE

Final_Frontier 01-07-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

If there is no Activision/whatever server hosting the patch, then it won't be downloadable, right? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Raichu 01-07-2004 07:45 PM

Well at least they'll know, and maybe find it on whatever community site (effiles.com, etc)
________
Design Host

Xaar 01-08-2004 10:09 AM

Perhaps someone who speak german can see that with k-play.de admins, they always have at least two servers sticking with the 1.00 version and there is usually something like 4-15 players on them. It must be possible to put some automatic messages on these servers, even if that means they will lost some players by doing that (but they can update one server in 1.1 while the other in 1.0 welcome new players).