Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Condition Zero & CS Xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   looks like hl2 is preloading (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15685)

kevin442 08-26-2004 11:22 PM

looks like hl2 is preloading

it seems hl2 is preloading onto steam. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] could this mean that it will be going gold within the coming weeks?

http://www.gamershell.com/news/14875.html

Automator 08-27-2004 12:20 AM

Re: looks like hl2 is preloading

too busy for me, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Valve has really been smart about the whole thing. I remember thinking, why would I buy hl2 online and wait to download the whole thing with a bunch of other guys hogging bandwidth when i can buy it in the store and just install it. It is cool how they're doing it, now lets see what the price difference will be.

I think I'm gonna but it in a store and just punch in the cdkey into steam. That way I can see how it all works out over steam and if something crazy happens to either steam or i lose internet without logging in before or whatever i have a hard copy i can run. Good news though, hopefully it comes out sometime soon!

BrushBaron 08-27-2004 01:32 PM

I am one of those old farts that likes have a box on my shelves to add to my collection of games. I like the online distribution of games but I think it's better for smaller games. 2 gigs or whatever HL2 will be is a lot of data to keep on your computer and not have any CD back-up of. I always worry my net connection might go out and then I'm screwed.

Automator 08-27-2004 01:37 PM

yeah same here, when my brother got condition zero he just entered the cd key in steam and voila! cz is unlocked. he hasnt opened the cds yet, but he gets the box to put on his shelves and a hard copy in case something happens with steam.

I want to support valve and this is a good idea, it makes them independent and it's awesome. But its hard to just buy it online. If they really made bank they could distribute it themselves, that would be nuts.

kevin442 08-27-2004 01:39 PM

you know you can play hl2 sp offline through steam brush [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

plus steam makes a backup of all your games on your account so if u do lose your internet connection or your hd goes to hell all you will need to do is redownload steam and use your account to get back in the action

Xenogenetic 08-27-2004 07:51 PM

I like the good ol fashioned box {([ i want one with the G-man on the cover])} plus the box has pictures. But that is awsomeroxor and might hopefully mean HL2 is comin soon

Davido 08-27-2004 09:21 PM

W00T! Box all the way just so I can go:

"I've got a whole case full of games and CDs!!!!!!!"

Plus you would never be able to give the game to a friend and go :P Or blow the hell out of them on a small LAN thing.

Automator 08-28-2004 02:18 AM

Who wouldn't want the box when you get a collectors edition that looks like this!

Grandpapa 08-29-2004 09:50 AM

One more to boxed games [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Maybe in the future those downloadable games comes more popular, but i also prefer to original cd's, manuals and stuff that comes with special versions.

Xenogenetic 08-29-2004 05:59 PM

lol ill send you my HL boxes and then you can have a super collection

Automator 08-30-2004 02:11 AM

i'll inform the mailman their on the way

HmmBrd 08-30-2004 02:27 PM

I agree with BrushBaron that having a cd is OK in case of some screw up with the internet provider. Especially I and other 56kers downloading the game can take more than a few days.

Kalabalana 09-16-2004 12:11 AM

the stupidest mistake valve is making is not giving a discount to those who buy the softcopy.

moronic actually, valve's profit margin is at least doubled on every online purchase

badman 09-16-2004 11:35 PM

They don't necessarily make twice as much money on a copy sold via Steam, since they have to pay for the whole Steam infrastructure (servers, bandwidth, programmers etc). I do agree that games should be at least somewhat cheaper on there though.