Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Condition Zero & CS Xbox (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   func_train stopping (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15721)

Grantax 09-20-2004 12:56 PM

func_train stopping

I've made a func_conveyor map, in a tunnel, then i placed lights (texture light), as func_train, so i tested it, but suddenly it stops for about 2 seconds, then it keeps moving..

I have 4 corners (i don't know what the entity is called) where the light goes, all of the is outside the tunnel..

Ok, heres the tunnel, 1, 2, 3 and 4 is the path_corners, the S is where the light stops
is goes from 1 to 2 with a speed on 1000, and it goes from 2 to 3 to 4 to 1 in 9999, then it starts over.

Edit: I didn't mean that it just starts moving again after 2 seconds, it jumps to path_corner 2..

Michele 09-20-2004 02:07 PM

Re: func_train stopping

Just two quick things:you can put your map on the TWHL site, in the Map vault->problem section:
http://cariad.co.za/twhl/index.php?start=0
if you wont to people download your map to help you better.

Otherwise you can take a look at Kiltron's map Swamp (that has the source .map released) or, if you have QuArK, you can see how Trainrun (by Kiltron) work.

http://collective.valve-erc.com/inde...ent=func_train
here is the tutorial on the func_train

Grantax 09-20-2004 04:59 PM

I replied to this a long time ago but it seems like my post has gotten deleted, anyway: I've uploaded the map now, i named it Underground, if you didn't understand the tunnel picture, the it's a "picture" from the side...

Michele 09-21-2004 05:27 AM

Maybe it can be the same problem that i found. How long is the tunnel? It goes from one side of the map to the other? In that case, the "error" is done that the func_train entities must be placed in the middle of the used map space.

But, i'll download the map and i'll try.

Michele 09-22-2004 06:51 AM

Downloaded and tried the map.
Yes, i was right. The problem is that the func_train light is placed near the end of the tunnel; you must place it at the middle of the map and it work right.
Just two small suggestion. the compiler log says that some path_corner are outside the world and hlcsg cannot compile.
Ensure to put the entities first inside the world space.
Another thing, is better if you build brushes using the grid, and, generally for walls, with a thickness of 16 units.

Grantax 09-22-2004 11:40 AM

I'm not going to put the path_corners inside the tunnel, but something outside them..

But where does the light start, does it start where i place it, or does it start on the first stop target?

And what do i have to do when i want to place lights light the whole tunnel?

Michele 09-23-2004 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grantax:
I'm not going to put the path_corners inside the tunnel, but something outside them..

I've said this because the compiler don't run the map for this thing (in fact i've said "put entities first inside", eventually outside the map).

Anyway, yes, the func_train, at the start of the level, spawn where the first path_corner to reach is.
But, fot the thing that you are making, the func_train lights have to be placed in the center of the map.

If you wont i.e. four ceiling lights; you have to make four func_train, and put enough path corner to ensure that the light spawn in the right position.

here is a quick image:

http://www.image-dump.com/image.php?...n=example1.jpg

P1, P2 P3 P4 P5 are the path_corners
If you have four lights; put in the target of the first P1, in the target of the second P2...; just, no func_train spawn where P5 is.

I suggest you to read a tutorial that explains how func_train work, surely better than i did.

Grantax 09-23-2004 10:34 AM

I've already done that with the path corners, i've placed all lights in the middle, and the path_corners. How am I going to get the 4 other path_corners to work, because i have to place them outside the tunnel, but then i get a leak.. (I've removed the things i put outside the path_corners, because i got a brush outside world..

Grantax 09-23-2004 11:48 AM

Doesn't belong in this post, but do anyone know about a good fgd for DS?
Aaron's fgd is good, but some things are wrong, and he doesn't have monster_tripmine (or monster_mine, i don't remember)
I'll try to add them to my fgd after i've compiled my map if it's not to advanced to do it..

Aaron should have most of the credit for this, but i've added all weapons to the Drop thing (What weapon monsters drop) but i've not tested anything, and i've added monster_tripmine, monster_miniturret, monster_turret and monster_sentry.. And i looked in cz_trainrun, and in the turret, i found a key named maxsleep that i guessed was the time it searches after you before it deactivates..

I'll upload the fgd HERE

HmmBrd 09-26-2004 07:32 PM

So Grantax, when's your mission going to be ready to download?

Grantax 09-27-2004 11:27 AM

Hehe, i didn't think about releasing it, because it's my first DS map, else than that i've only made 3 maps.
And i it's not finished yet, because i have to find out how to do things first, like yesterday i just found out how to make a bomb, a place to use fiber optic camera, and how to make a lock on a door..
But i'll upload it when it's finished..

Does anybody know why func_breakable isn't in the entity list, because it is in the fgd.. (In aaron's fgd)
Edit: I think it's something about BaseClass Breakable..

Michele 09-27-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know why func_breakable isn't in the entity list, because it is in the fgd.. (In aaron's fgd)
Edit: I think it's something about BaseClass Breakable..

Probably because Aaron's .fgd is unoffcial and unsupported, so there are some errors. But since CZ support all of the func_entities from regular HL you can use the latest HL .fgd for those entities.

Wait a moment; on my pc at home, i have another .fgd where are more entities (even if also those are not perfect). I don't remember the author , but i think that i've found it in this forum.

Grantax 09-27-2004 12:11 PM

I've removed everything but the:
@BaseClass = func_breakable : "Breakable Object"
AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK?!?
(I didn't expect any values in it, but it should be in the entity list when i've done what i did)

HmmBrd 09-27-2004 05:55 PM

That's OK! Grantax, it's worth the wait... Wish I knew where to get other missions. Does anyone have a link to other great DS missions.

kevin442 09-27-2004 06:48 PM

if you havnt gotten these yet . . .search the forums for them

Bloody Rubble
Runaway Trains
Terrorist Retaliation
Swamp

Grantax 09-29-2004 10:40 AM

Hehe, you must be desperate after missions for DS, because you don't even know if i can make maps [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And you're asking when it's ready, anyway, don't expect something big.
If i haven't mentioned it, i'm making a train, like on Runaway Trains, but this is underground..
I have problems with 'AllocBlock: full' if you know what that is. (The error i hate most) But i'll get rid of it..

Edit: (Off-Topic) Didn't notice before today that the onlydamagedby is what weapon you hold when the breakable gets damaged, like if you throw a grenade, then fast switch to blowtorch (and it's only damaged by blowtorch) then the grenade will blow it up (If it does enough damage)

HmmBrd 09-29-2004 09:35 PM

Not really despert Kev, I just like DS missions...

Grantax 09-30-2004 04:05 PM

I have a problem: When the bombs in my mission is defused, how do i stop the timer? (From the seq file) I've tried to trigger it again to stop it, but then it just restarts..

Michele 10-01-2004 05:21 AM

If you tell to the bomb entity to "killtarget" (using the Smart Edit button) the counter, you probably solve the problem; since "killtarget" is a field that allow the elimination of a specified entity.

Grantax 10-01-2004 11:12 AM

so in trigger_relay i should have the bomb_timer (trigger_sequence) on KillTarget.
I thought if i killed that entity it will just prevent me to use that entity again, not to stop it, because it's already triggered.. But i'll try, thanks

Edit:
1. What program do you use to get text to speech?
2. The bomb's have an ambient_generic with a sound that lasts 6 minutes and 6 seconds, is it possible to make it play until it's finished, because it doesn't...
3. in env_missionfailure, i chose 174 0 0 as color (Blood Red) when the screen fades, why is it still black?
FX Amount at 255 and Opacity at 0

Michele 10-01-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

so in trigger_relay i should have the bomb_timer (trigger_sequence) on KillTarget.
I thought if i killed that entity it will just prevent me to use that entity again, not to stop it, because it's already triggered.. But i'll try, thanks

Edit:
1. What program do you use to get text to speech?
2. The bomb's have an ambient_generic with a sound that lasts 6 minutes and 6 seconds, is it possible to make it play until it's finished, because it doesn't...
3. in env_missionfailure, i chose 174 0 0 as color (Blood Red) when the screen fades, why is it still black?
FX Amount at 255 and Opacity at 0

Well, killtargeting an entity remove it permanently from the game, and there is no way to "recall" it. But, who cares, when the bomb is disarmed you don't need anymore the counter, right?

1-Freeware/shareware good programs for sound editing are Goldwave and Cool Edit, search with google (because i don't remember the website).

2-You have a sound that has 6 minutes and 6 seconds of duration? Or you wont the sound wil be played for this time?
(sorry but i don't understand english very well)

Anyway, if you go to the Verc site, you find information on almost all the HL related entities.

http://collective.valve-erc.com/

Grantax 10-01-2004 01:43 PM

No i don't need it anymore
2. It's duration is 6 minutes and 6 seconds..
3. i can't find env_missionfailure on that side, not on google either

Grantax 10-03-2004 05:37 PM

I can't find the text to speech effect in goldwave, where is it?
Does anybody know where i can find a list of all animations like crouch_rollout_corner_L/R?

Edit: I've fixed func_breakable, func_door and func_pushable and some more..

Michele 10-04-2004 05:34 AM

If you wont the sound to be played only one time, you have to check the "not toggled" flag of the ambient_generic, and give a specific name (targetname) so it can be triggered at a specific moment.
Note that the "not toggled" flag tells that the sound is not looped.

With Jed's HL Model Viewer you can see HL models and you can see also all the animations.

Sorry, but i don't have understanded what you have to do with Goldwave. Can you explain better?

Grantax 10-04-2004 07:04 AM

I asked where i could get a text-to-speech program, and you said goldwave, do people use text-to-speech program, or do they just take sounds from the GCF files?