Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   SiN Episodes Fan Questions Answered (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16627)

badman 11-30-2005 01:46 PM

SiN Episodes Fan Questions Answered

If you'll remember, two weeks ago, Michael Russell's Question of the Week feature turned the tables, allowing the community to submit questions for Ritual to answer. Well, the result is this three page interview covering a wide variety of topics, including the level of interactivity in the game, the difficulty system, Elexis Sinclaire, episode 2, SiN 1 Steam and many, many more. Here's a taste to wet your appetite:
<blockquote>
In your own words, describe the most noticeable changes coming from Sin to Sin Episodes.

The game obviously looks a ton better than the original SiN, sporting high resolution textures and models, as well as more detailed environments. SiN Episodes also has a fully fledged physics engine, so when the player (or any of the NPCs, for that matter) interacts with objects or machinery, everything reacts physically correct. Compared to SiN, this takes a huge load off the level designer’s back, since this kind of stuff no longer has to be scripted. That also allows us to have many more objects in the levels, which in turn makes them more realistic.

Overall, things have definitely evolved a bit, but at its core, the game still feels like SiN. The combat is as tight as ever and our characters are still the driving force behind the story. SiN fans will feel right at home.
</blockquote>
Get reading!

CommanderZx2 11-30-2005 03:12 PM

Re: SiN Episodes Fan Questions Answered

Cool, 5 of the questions answered were from me [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One of the main things I was not expecting to learn is that all the weapons have an iron sight mode, which is really cool.

I also like the idea of the enemies adapting to where you shoot them, such as wearing Helmets if you are getting a lot of headshots.

JezzyBall 11-30-2005 04:51 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for the answers and the time.

T0ssu 11-30-2005 06:54 PM

this is nice..makes me more hungry [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Xenogenetic 11-30-2005 07:46 PM

I wish I asked a better question.

Grandpapa 11-30-2005 09:44 PM

They are happy, i am happy, cause i didn't ask anything [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But seriously, i'm sin hungry too, now even more [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ninken 11-30-2005 11:36 PM

SWEET! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm ready to play it! Gimme Gimme waited soooo long!

Apprentice 12-22-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

How heavily did you modify the Source engine to accommodate certain features (gameplay, storytelling and such) that can be found in SIN: Episodes and SIN: Source and possibly Wages of SIN: Source?

We've added a number of improvements to the Source engine to accommodate our needs for Emergence. We have the dynamic difficulty system mentioned above, but also the Context Look system, which allows non-player characters to accurately respond to what the player is looking at. There are numerous other features as well, such as damage zones for vehicles, so certain parts can be shot off, and our extensive statistics system.

Quote:

To which extent are you planning to support the SIN community with mods and other aspects that can arise from the community?

We're definitely going to support the SiN Episodes mod community in any way we can. For starters, though, Valve's editing Wiki is a great resource for modding SiN Episodes, since both games use the same technology. As noted above, releasing a SiN Episodes SDK is also on the list, and members of the team will be stopping by the forums on a regular basis to answer questions and hang out with the community.

On top of all that, one of the great advantages of episodic content is that the community will get a new infusion of assets every few months – textures, models, you name it. Future episodes might also add new gameplay mechanics and technical features. So there will definitely be plenty of content for modders to play around with.

Interesting answers. I can only hope that you remain true to your word . . .

Quote:

Will there be a separate SDK released or do you and VALVe plan to release an SDK version that can accommodate all Source based games (HL2 + mods and SiN Episodes + extensions)?

We are planning on releasing a SDK for SiN Episodes, but the timeframe for the SDK release has not been established. As for a shared SDK between all Source-based games, given that we have added additional functionality to the Source engine that is not part of the core Source engine, a shared SDK would be difficult to implement at best.

This answer surprises me, especially when I know and have seen that such a thing is possible to implement.

The developers behind GTK Radiant clearly don't see this as a difficulty, which resulted into an editor that is capable of supporting a wide range of Quake 3 based games, which ranges from Quake 3 itself to Call of Duty (2) and even the new Doom 3 engine (which is currently still in beta stages but regardless of that, I can do something with the Doom3 engine).

Seeing an answer as in "a shared SDK would be difficult to implement at best" makes me placing some (additional) question marks, since it is possible as described above unless you have ment that specific SIN elements cannot be placed within Half-Life 2 (same restrictions also go for Radiant, I cannot place Jedi Academy specific types into Quake 3), which results then into a entirely different question and answer . . .

Would you care to elaborate on this ??

Michael_Russell 12-22-2005 03:25 PM

Certainly.

First, I think we need to seperate the toolset and the SDK.

The toolset is what is used to create assets. Tools like Hammer, HLMV and Faceposer all belong to the toolset. We use slightly modified versions of these tools when creating the levels, although if we release our FGD, there shouldn't be any problem for you to use those tools.

However, the SDK is the code used to create the gameplay associated with the engine. When I say that the number of differences between the two is bordering on the extreme, I'm not bullshitting you. In addition, we've modified parts of Source itself to add functionality.

So to reiterate: Shared toolset, yes. Shared SDK, not likely.