Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   SiN Episodes Pre-Start Checklist (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17226)

Michael_Russell 05-08-2006 12:13 AM

SiN Episodes Pre-Start Checklist

Okay, you've got the game preloaded. What can you do to make sure you have an ideal gameplay experience when you start?

First, exit Steam, make sure you have 15% of your hard drive free, then run DEFRAG on your hard drive. DEFRAG will not defrag your GCF's while Steam is running. Having your GCF's defragmented won't make the game run any faster, but will slightly improve load times.

Second, make sure that you have the latest and greatest official drivers for everything. Video, sound, everything. Older sound and video drivers were causing issues earlier in development, and the first thing I'm going to tell you to do when you ask for help is update your drivers.

Third, make sure that you have all Windows Updates installed.

Fourth, if you are running on a low-end machine, please make sure that the game is completely preloaded before you start playing. On minimum spec machines, we've seen a 3-4fps boost by waiting for the preload to finish.

Fifth, make sure you do a full virus scan before you start the game and exit any unnecessary applications.

Have fun, and good shooting!

Xenogenetic 05-08-2006 12:18 AM

Re: SiN Episodes Pre-Start Checklist

I am also connecting my computer to my TV so I can play in widescreen HD. I love new TVs.

motoko2030 05-08-2006 12:28 AM

Thanks Michael for the checklist, I will perform all of the steps on my PC.

ATimson 05-08-2006 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Russell:
First, exit Steam, make sure you have 15% of your hard drive free, then run DEFRAG on your hard drive. DEFRAG will not defrag your GCF's while Steam is running. Having your GCF's defragmented won't make the game run any faster, but will slightly improve load times.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this best be done after the unlocking? Otherwise, the decryption process will just fragment the cache files again....

Michael_Russell 05-08-2006 01:08 AM

The decryption seems to be done in-place (sector overwrites), but the amount of additional fragmentation from the additional files coming down is negligible compared to the initial fragmentation seen in our tests.

he_the_great 05-08-2006 01:08 AM

For those with GeoShell before launching the game, logout and hold down SHIFT when you log back in. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Though that is probably just me.

RatherDashing 05-08-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Russell:
The decryption seems to be done in-place (sector overwrites), but the amount of additional fragmentation from the additional files coming down is negligible compared to the initial fragmentation seen in our tests.

And the careful user knows that a good defragging is a must every two weeks anyway.

Maxey 05-08-2006 09:42 AM

And don't forget the obligatory can of soda and pack of kleenex. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RatherDashing 05-08-2006 10:05 AM

Not bypassing the meat feast pizza delivered from the local Pizza Hut.

MadMax 05-08-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

And the careful user knows that a good defragging is a must every two weeks anyway.

Last I heard, the NTFS file system doesn't actually fragment files unless it runs out of sufficient disk space, so it starts filling the gaps between files with parts of new files. So unless you're running low on disk space, there shouldn't be much fragmentation...

DI_MeisterM 05-08-2006 03:20 PM

I never defrag my harddisk. Would take ages for 200 GB, and I don't have time for this. Anyway, my rig will be ready, it's only the Source Engine, not Oblivion [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

he_the_great 05-08-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DI_MeisterM:
I never defrag my harddisk. Would take ages for 200 GB, and I don't have time for this. Anyway, my rig will be ready, it's only the Source Engine, not Oblivion [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Load times man, not run-time performance.

Rob0 05-08-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MadMax:
Quote:

Last I heard, the NTFS file system doesn't actually fragment files unless it runs out of sufficient disk space, so it starts filling the gaps between files with parts of new files. So unless you're running low on disk space, there shouldn't be much fragmentation...

That's a myth; it's more resistant to fragmentation than, say, FAT32, but it's not invulnerable, and I don't find the disk space thing to affect it: I've got 50% of my HDD free but it still gets fragmented.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/relFrag-c.html

RatherDashing 05-08-2006 04:05 PM

I can tell you, the one time I forgot to defrag for a couple of months, by HD was far from perfect.

helious 05-08-2006 07:01 PM

Its really too late now..

Im sitting with 6 terabyte harddrive space, and its gonna take much longer than a day to defrag that, if not a week..
And im running out of space [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Rob0 05-08-2006 07:04 PM

Though some times it's a pain, I'm glad I've still only got one 80GB harddrive. Defragged from 34% fragmentation to 0% in under an hour. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

he_the_great 05-08-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rob0:
Though some times it's a pain, I'm glad I've still only got one 80GB harddrive. Defragged from 34% fragmentation to 0% in under an hour. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ha, I beat you, mines 60gig. partitioned at 27, 27.

BloodShed 05-09-2006 08:00 AM

It's allso a good idea to validate your .GCF files, just in case

http://www.blooddawn.dk/?Steam_suppo...Party_Products

ArchV 05-10-2006 12:54 PM

Also if you're using any wireless input devices (keyboard, mouse) make sure they have good batteries or charged up. Nothing worse than your mouse dying in the middle of a game [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Blade_cop 05-10-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ArchV:
Also if you're using any wireless input devices (keyboard, mouse) make sure they have good batteries or charged up. Nothing worse than your mouse dying in the middle of a game [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good point, even though I don't have those type. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mercurius420 05-10-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ArchV:

Actually, I have killed more players in WoW's MC with my wireless mouse dying then with it working, 238 souls and counting, its great fun for me, not so much for them [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RatherDashing 05-10-2006 02:29 PM

Make sure you have a working monitor.

Engelus 07-22-2006 07:11 AM

make sure you have $19.99