Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes: Emergence (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17243)

IcemanSimo 06-14-2006 12:49 AM

Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestio

hey one thing i would like is smarter emeny AI it was a challenge and a rather enjoyable one at that. I am yet to beat hardcorps mode but yeah they were so predictable in there movement i could snipe em with ease using the handgun and that was on hard difficulty.

Blade Being a bit more Chatty with JC and jessica a silent hero kinda sucks u getting lectured by radek and elexsis and u just go ....... , finaly Evloving Mutants as you fight then thats a kool feature to have means u cant piss fart around and have to get the job done quick smart or it gets harder (an advanced otion for advanced players maybe).

thats all i would like to c added to the next installment of Sin Episodes other then that it was a very enjoyable game and it will only get better.
GREAT job by the guys who put in all the hours u created a kickass product.

Lethos 06-14-2006 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PizzasRgooD:
I just played HL episode 1 ... I didn't really like it that much but it has a lot more ambition than sin. Ritual needs to see things BIGGER [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I agree. The storyline needs some serious rewriting... monsters breaking out into the city... a bit oldstile!

Lethos 06-14-2006 04:22 AM

I'm sorry if this is a bit of the topic but when i downloaded the fansitekit i noticed that there are screenshots of parts of the game that werent there...
Some other wierd monster and the trunk full of guns... that never happened! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

IcemanSimo 06-14-2006 04:48 AM

yeah i saw that aswell but i never asked the question so ill wait and c wat happend to em but i cant help ya there its strange tho y publish the screeny if its not in the game i dunno.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Danial 06-14-2006 07:57 PM

The trailer for Half-Life 2 had whole stages that didn't make it to the final game. If things get cut late in the process you can't go and un-release something [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JKCarrier 06-15-2006 12:13 AM

Enjoyed the game overall, but I really could have used some kind of tutorial level to get me oriented -- explain the controls, the difficulty sliders, the HUD, alt-fire modes, the first aid stations, etc. I went through most of the game not even realizing I had grenades, since they weren't part of the regular weapons rotation. Reading some of the threads here, apparently you can shoot while riding in the car? This is news to me. Next episode, please give us a little more info to go on!

JKCarrier 06-15-2006 03:11 PM

Huh. Now that I'm playing through a second time, I see that there actually are a few instructional messages that pop up during the first section. They went by so quick I didn't notice most of them the first time (plus I was a little distracted, being shot at and all!).

m72 06-15-2006 04:09 PM

What about a in-between mission in HardCORPs HQ, there you can select your weapons , meet up with your subordinates and receive your briefing there. And Blade IS NOT Gordon Freeman he needs to speak more and more banter please

JoelF 06-15-2006 09:14 PM

Hey! Just wanted to comment on Emergence, having just beaten it.

In short, I had a blast!

It seems many of my feelings have already been echoed, judging by the text I skimmed from reading this thread. Things like...

Blade's lack of speech (remember the original SiN? some hilarious lines in there.)
Linear nature
Length?
Chaingunners!

All these are minor gripes to me, seeing as I enjoyed the game a great deal. A former owner of SiN (I lost the CD some time ago), I knew what I was going to get... some sweet old-school action, without the massive 'reinvention' that Doom 3 went for. Basically, if I want Half-Life... I'll play Half-Life. SiN is SiN, and that's the way I like it!

As for the linear nature, that was probably the most major gripe of mine. I'm the kind of person who tries using the use key on most everything... which is why the original made me grin so much. Sure, there are continuity issues, and I understand that it's impossible to make every door open and what not, but I don't think a single door opened unless I needed it to. With respect to the action-determined outcome of the original, I wasn't expecting the same sort of approach, but when something is really interactive, I want it to be a bit more useful. No worries, though.

I always enjoyed laying the smack down on the grunts, as wasting cannon fodder with brains is great fun to me. The chaingunners got on my nerves, though. Their armor is just too damn thick, and even headshots don't seem to do much to them. Unless that's just me, and my aim sucks or something...

I am glad that each of the weapons remained useful throughout the game. The alternate fire button always came in handy... I often fired off a secondary round when my clip emptied, and that usually ended whatever conflict I had in quite short order. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The only time I felt the need for another gun was during the final rooftop battle. (I tried to make that comment as spoiler-less as possible, but I assume most of you have beaten it already.)

As for length, well... I probably only noticed because of the linear nature. I'm going to play through at least a couple more times to get a better score and be less conservative with my ammo... (Played too much HL, I guess.)

I liked the adaptive challenge. It wasn't really annoying at any point, and seems to work well. Of course, I'm operating post-patch, so any of those problems are out of my way.

Anyways, I had a blast! Those few things held it back slightly, but those are the kind of gripes that tend to keep greatness just out of reach.

(I hope this ends up having some sort of impact for Episode 2! I'm excited... and despite the fact that it may end up being a costly venture, I'm pretty sure Ritual's got my money...)

My score for it hovers between 76% and 83%... I wanted a few more inventive, iconic battles. (I loved the jetpack grunts, and the scene when you're in the box of the crane made me smile; also, I enjoyed busting through a window and dropping a grenade into the lap of five grunts. Neat, non-derivative situations do wonders for gameplay. Even if its derivative... as long as there are inventive ways to lay down the smack, I'm happy.)

Few gripes aside, I do not regret my purchase at all!

(Out of curiousity, why is the retail box so thick? There's practically nothing in it... just the quick reference card and a massive spindle for one dvd-rom... and no, I don't have a credit card for Steam.)

Sorry for the rambling...

I enjoyed Emergence, and I await the next installment!

SkyBard 06-15-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JoelF:

(Out of curiousity, why is the retail box so thick? There's practically nothing in it... just the quick reference card and a massive spindle for one dvd-rom... and no, I don't have a credit card for Steam.)

I wondered that myself, actually. I also wonder if the spines of the boxes are going to form some sort of awesome picture when set side by side on my shelf.
I got the retail version because I prefer hard copies of my software.

JoelF 06-15-2006 10:35 PM

I prefer hard copies as well. As much as I understand e-business is the wave of the future, blahblahblah... Nothing will change that inherent human need to behold something in person and touch it.

If they hadn't released it to stores, the chances of me buying it were nil... I don't have a credit card, and as much as I don't want to believe my dad's paranoia... the internet really isn't that secure.

And yeah... Spine artwork is always cool. Heh.

SkyBard 06-15-2006 11:25 PM

Buying off the interent is more secure than giving your credit card to a waitress, or the counter person at the local Quickie Mart at 3am. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But yeah, I like hard copies myself. Gives me even more stuff to clutter up the house with and complain about when I lose it.

taker 06-15-2006 11:29 PM

I'm happy that I got the retail copy of Emergence myself as well, and would love to have Episode 2 in physical form too. Unfortunately, I suspect I won't be able to resist pre-ordering and pre-loading the next episode as soon as it's available on Steam come next time.
The only reason I was able to resist it this time is that my Windows PC was out of commission when Emergence was released.

For me, an ideal solution would be if you could download it online and start playing the moment it's released, but still receive a physical copy in the mail later on.

m72 06-16-2006 02:46 AM

Yup, hard copies still rulez.

IcemanSimo 06-16-2006 07:36 AM

i was told by eb games in aus that oh no sin episodes its steam only and when they had it in sotre i said yeah steam only they did the exact same thing for Counter strike source it took em 9 months to get it and thats after i mentioned they could they didnt even knoow about the retail releases. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but i have a hard copy so it rocks

JoelF 06-16-2006 10:07 AM

I understand that the internet is more secure... It's just that my dad has this kind of mental block about it. He's an engineer, no less, and I tried to explain to him that the encryption they use is pretty high grade... After all, it's in the credit card industry and selling company's interest to provide quality service.

Plus, you're protected from fraud and theft up to a point, I believe.

The concept of Steam is growing on me, somewhat. I don't need to have the DVD-ROM in the drive ever since it's all loaded on. The only problem I've had so far is the upload/download speed.

More things I like!

I cranked up the difficulty, and since I have a good feel for the weapons now and know when to use them, my rank has gone up a fair bit. I can headshot with the pistol so much easier now!

Is it just me, or do melee attacks not do enough damage against the harder enemies... I'd like to see it do more (since you're at risk from being so close), but meh.

I'm a fan of the opening sequence at the docks, the</font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'"> chase scene in the car</span><font class="post">, and especially </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">the fight up the SinTek building</span><font class="post"> at the end.

Oh, and I'm really happy at how well the game scales down. I'm running the bare minimum of the recommended specs, and there isn't much slowdown. Sure, loading times are a bit slow and the sound loops a bit... but I'd expect no less from a three and a half year old PC.

My vital SiN specs are...

P4 2.4 GHz
512 MB of RAM
nVidia Geforce 4 ti 4200 w/ 128 MB onboard

I'm getting a laptop for university this summer, and it'll easily stomp the slowdown issues. (Asus S96J, most likely. Anybody run SiN on a laptop or ATI x1000 series cards?)

I'm also really happy that they're adding stuff on like Arena mode. Fun little diversions.

Morry 06-16-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

My vital SiN specs are...

P4 2.4 GHz
512 MB of RAM
nVidia Geforce 4 ti 4200 w/ 128 MB onboard

I'm getting a laptop for university this summer, and it'll easily stomp the slowdown issues. (Asus S96J, most likely. Anybody run SiN on a laptop or ATI x1000 series cards?)

I'm also really happy that they're adding stuff on like Arena mode. Fun little diversions.

I'm running on a 2.6ghz, 1.5gb ram, 9600xt and the game runs well at 1024x720 2xAA. Your laptop should run the game fine then.

Bill_Buchanan_from_CTU 06-16-2006 01:47 PM

Hi there!

I played Sin 1 in 1998 and I still consider that it is one of the top doom-like of all times. Why? Because of its fun:

- Interesting and useful dialogs between JC &amp; Blade with a lot of humour.

- Interactivity with the environnement (using DOS commands to shutdown turrets, hack a bank, stop a launch missile sequence, wire funds from elexis to blade account...)

- Action with limited time (get out of a trap while clock is REALLY ticking).

- Large and coherents levels with differents ways and ends.

- Primary and secondary objectives.

- A lot of ester eggs, secrets and SECRET LEVELS!

- A training area.

- A good story.

- ACTION-BASED OUTCOMES !!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Quote:

Sin Episodes FAQ:
Will SiN Episodes feature action-based outcomes like the original SiN?

Action-based outcomes (ABOs for short) were one of the main features of the first SiN. They are basically "decision points" for the player that have several different outcomes, directly affecting what the player experiences in the game. They can be as insignificant as opening a valve in one level, causing an area to be flooded later on, or as significant as being able to visit different locations depending on your actions.

Emergence is quite a good game if you consider it as a typical doom-like. BUT it can't be compared to Sin1, it has nothing to do with it!!! All the great features above have been deleted!

Quote:

Sin Episodes FAQ
For SiN Episodes, Ritual is implementing several episode-spanning ABOs, meaning

that your actions in one episode affect what happens in the subsequent installment.

Is it a joke? Emergence doesn't allow you to take decisions! You just "follow the only road" killing everybody. Interactivity is reduce to "I take the canister and I drop it there"! Awesome! (Where is the sarcastic Smiley?).

Also, there is no story and no end. I don't want to spoil people but the end of the game is just a (bad) trailer of the next episode! No story, no cliffhanger... the pilot of the serie did not convince me at all!

Quote:

Originally posted by Talyene:
SinTEK Heavy Gunner. These are just unfair.

I totally agree with you..

Quote:

Originally posted by Moleculor:
Voice audio needs to be louder, especially from phones and the occasional notice from Jessica/JC. I can almost NEVER hear the voices from the phones over background noise

I agree with that too. Also subtitles are not always available. It is a problem, especially if english is not your mother tongue.

Also, people who bought the game have to pay extra to listen to the soundtrack!!! You should be ashamed.

Anyway, there are also good features in Emergence. I like textures because they are very coloured as they were in Sin 1. Stats, dynamic difficulty system, HARDCOPS mode, Source engine, the fact that you can kill anybody at any time in the game with one bullet in the head... and... that's all!

So... really disappointed!

m72 06-16-2006 02:12 PM

You forgot this is the first episode, those features might be added in the next episodes if there are enough demands for it.

BishopGantry 06-16-2006 03:59 PM

Id like to be able to lean around corners and take potshots at the enemy.

Total melee, holster your weapon and whip out the Kung fu Blade style punches, kicks and headbutting, sneak up on someone from behind and snap their neck then haul them over your shoulder and carry them away.

Definatley want to see the old Sin1 armor system return.

More banter and badass oneliners.

PizzasRgooD 06-16-2006 11:01 PM

I want less infinte enemy spawning ! Everything starting from that part in the tower where you have to replace the fuse (way too hard.. I'm never going to get past there on hardcorps) till the end, the chaingunners keep coming if you don't rush forward fast enough..

Venom 06-17-2006 06:14 AM

First of all, i very much liked Emergence. It had:
- good gfx
- nice pace in action
- superb voice acting

but i've got a few suggestions:
- as said, it could use some more interactivity
- (maybe it's just me) the models look generally nice, but the hands are somewhat strange, they look a bit pointy and the texture quality seems to be lower than on the other parts.
- the spawning in the last levels (on the eges of the sintek buidling) went a bit sloppy, sometimes enemies appeared suddenly from nothing behind you.

Also, seen the course of the storyline, the mutants running around in freeport city, wouldn't it be fun to make (like in sin 1) a helicopter level (with cannons instead of machineguns) in which you'll be taken across town as a first line of defense or something...

And if i understand it correctly, blade, being injected with some kind of (green) mutagen, he'd be vulnerable for the blue (anti-?) mutagen?
So what about a level in which you'll be wearing a protective suit (and gas mask) and you'll have to make it out of a level (filled with the blue mutagen) in time... (before it explodes for example)

JoelF 06-17-2006 01:09 PM

Bishop, I know exactly what you mean. Took me back to the days of Thief and System Shock 2... I was wanting that when the SiNtek chaingunners were coming out the woodwork... Lean, Blade, lean!

It seems to me you want something along the lines of what F.E.A.R. had. Not that I've really played it... My system can barely run the demo, and it looks really bad, which totally detracts from the atmosphere it's supposed to project. Plus, SS2 totally made me a pansy when it comes to shooters. That game scared the living #$% out of me.

Is it just me, or is the melee in Emergence simply too weak after you get going in the game? I want to be able to stun some of the baddies... If I get that close, I expect to be doing some good damage to balance out the risk of being a foot away from an armed grunt...

BishopGantry 06-17-2006 07:25 PM

Quote:

Bishop, I know exactly what you mean. Took me back to the days of Thief and System Shock 2... I was wanting that when the SiNtek chaingunners were coming out the woodwork... Lean, Blade, lean!

It seems to me you want something along the lines of what F.E.A.R. had. Not that I've really played it... My system can barely run the demo, and it looks really bad, which totally detracts from the atmosphere it's supposed to project. Plus, SS2 totally made me a pansy when it comes to shooters. That game scared the living #$% out of me.

Is it just me, or is the melee in Emergence simply too weak after you get going in the game? I want to be able to stun some of the baddies... If I get that close, I expect to be doing some good damage to balance out the risk of being a foot away from an armed grunt...

Just want to see Blade go loose with his fists again alltough I wouldnt mind seing him able to use kicks, headbutts, throws and chokes aswell:p

FEAR is awsome IMO it was worth getting a new computer for it alltough there was a couple of more games worth getting it for [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...

Morry 06-17-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PizzasRgooD:
I want less infinte enemy spawning ! Everything starting from that part in the tower where you have to replace the fuse (way too hard.. I'm never going to get past there on hardcorps) till the end, the chaingunners keep coming if you don't rush forward fast enough..

They weren't infinite for me. Sure there were a lot of them, but it stopped after a while.