Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes: Emergence (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17243)

Kingofunrealuk 05-11-2006 12:26 AM

Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions

The problem with this game really seems to be the dynamic difficulty.

I've been playing FPS for years and i've never encounted a game so ruthless. At times, when i've died like 6 or 7 times the game increases the enemy count. Although i'm dying i'm trying new stratergies. I'm pretty much at the end of the game now, behind a wall with 9hp and 3 guys. I have no way of killing them and my last save point was about 10 minutes earlier.

I dunno, in this game you seem to take extreme amounts of damage... Also, the voice actress for Jessica. Isn't she the girl who does Cortana (Halo series) voice? She seemed abit flat compare to the other voice actors. Over all its a great game, good ideas and alot of physics gameplay... but good lord could you have made it any harder? >_>

ertertwert 05-11-2006 12:52 AM

Re: SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestio

Quote:

Originally posted by Moleculor:
The dynamic difficulty system does have one single very odd 'bug' to it that I dislike...

The best place to illustrate this would be in the construction area immediately before you get to shoot guns from that car: There's an area with three mutagen barrels and about four or so spawn points for enemies in this area. Yes, spawn points. I've noticed how the system adjusts to your play style... you have areas that spawn an appropriate enemy when you get close rather than having them pre-spawned. Unfortunately this means that if I fire a secondary-fire magnum round or toss an incindiary into this area hoping to flush out anyone behind any corners, it does me absolutely no good because the enemies aren't there yet.

I have to physically cross a trigger area to get these guys to spawn. And sometimes the trigger area is far FAR too close (i.e. I can lob grenades into the area they'll be spawning in) to the spawn point.

So, I would recommend that spawn points be capable of 'taking damage' and that in damaging these 'spawn points' I can trigger the spawn early. Or that you move trigger points back a bit. One of the two.

Omg, that spot was hard as [censored]! Here's how it went down. The challenge rating KEPT INCREASING as I died 20 times in a row. Why? Because I had 100% headshots in this area. I was raping them, but they were spawning over and over and then after 20 death I was like "I'm just rushing through here instead of trying to kill them all." Yeah, that part was the hardest part of the game for me.

ertertwert 05-11-2006 12:55 AM

Overall, I LOVED this game. The one thing I would change is that when you die, to make it far easier than it does now. As it stands, you can be dying over and over, yet still having it get harder (read above post). I would have liked it to scale back a bit more upon multiple deaths. This would cut down on the frustration level. However, having said that, I enjoyed the BRUTALLY hard difficulty of this game. It was the best FPS experience I've had yet. Thank you. Oh, and the length of the game is perfect.

hahnchen 05-11-2006 01:08 AM

Yeah, I finished the game in just over 6 hours. Easily worth the cash and I'll get the next episode too. Here are some feedback though, some positive, some negative. There may be some spoilers.

- I read on this thread that you could eject empty regen canisters from med stations? I had no idea, if you can, it should have been more obvious. Why don't you make it so that if a med station is empty, pressing use on it again will automatically eject it?
- I think the world needs more interactivity and breakables, it is Sin, the more the merrier! I did like the Doom3 style interactive menus though, but go on, throw some DOS promt action in. On the other hand, those white vans should not just explode when hit. After I cleared out the parking lot area, I melee attacked the rear door of a van, it blew up, I died. That should not happen. If you have a padlocked locker/storage thing, I should be able to shoot the padlock off, this is Sin, I was really expecting it to fall off and give me goodies.
- I did like the secrets, although looking at my stats, I hardly found any [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] like 7 in total I think. I did find a Super Mario style teleporting pipe though. I hope there aren't too many inexplicable teleports.
- More weapons, definitely. The 3 weapons were great, but to take multiple chaingun guys out I think we really needed something beefier. I was always skulking around killing them one at a time or sniping them off. Sin was running into the middle of a room spreading hell, and that was something I couldn't effectively do if there were multiple chaingunners.
- Armour - I want some. The game is great and didn't have any armour, but I would have liked some, and it ties in closely with the above point. With some armour, it would have been a lot easier to deliver a lot of pain.
- Fall damage - I also thought it was too high.
- Those jetpack guys - Some random comments on them, nothing too important. But how come they never ever land? It'd be cool if they'd fly around a while shooting, land to get some better aim on you, then fly away again when in trouble. It'd also be cool, if when their backpack got out of control, they could quickly eject if close to the ground and carry on fighting.
- We didn't see enough of Freeport - I thought there'd be some vehicular combat sections. Although personally, I don't like them that much anyway (so aren't bothered that they're cut) I would have liked to see more of Freeport city. With more NPCs around in busy urban areas. I was also slightly dissapointed that we didn't get to see the HardCorps HQ, but I'm sure we'll see it in future episodes.
- Some preset difficulty levels - I played the game with both gauges dead center. I was looking for a medium difficulty setting, I'm guessing the default was easy right? It'd just make it easier if you could click easy, medium, hard and for it to automatically adjust the sliders.
- We can upload our stats to Ritual so they can better tweak the game and future episodes. I'd really like the ability to upload my stats for the upcoming arena mode so I can gloat. Are there any plans for online league tables?
- Enemy spawners are bad - I remember one area, just before the aforementioned super mario pipe, as you pop up onto the train tracks, of an infinite enemy spawner. Originally I waited there and kept on shooting, but more and more just came out until I ran out of ammo. I then realised it must have been an infinte spawner and thus ignored them and carried on. Infinite spawners are not good, enemy spawning is in general not good. I know it's part of the dynamic difficulty, and I liked the difficulty. It's just that, if I scope ahead a bit and there's no one there, I don't expect any to teleport in. Also, when I quicksave for a hard part and then die, I mentally prepare for the enemies that are up ahead. But for them to spawn randomly, doesn't really help.
Overall, great game - I'm definitely going to play through it again, if only to get my skill points higher up by finding more secrets. I hardly found any, and my exploration score was way low [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ertertwert 05-11-2006 01:19 AM

You can eject empty canisters by click the button at the top.

hahnchen 05-11-2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ertertwert:
You can eject empty canisters by click the button at the top.

Yeah I know, and the symbol on it does give you some sort of clue. But I didn't realise this until I had completed it and came here. And looking at the thread, I'm not the only one. If in the first few levels, when Jessica tells you how to use one, she could have mentioned it.

guru7892 05-11-2006 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by azz0r:
+ Excellent sound, better cache than HL2, you can hear things screaming in the distance and things sound far away when they are, simply great
+ Excellent weapons
+ Headshots are easy and feel satisfying
+ Stats are awesome
+ Boob physics

- Terrible monster design
- Fall damage is too high
- Story wasnt explained to me, as Ive never played a Sin game before I was lost
- Terrible Lip Sync

+weapons: I really hope there are no uber weapons, i prefer each weapon to have a niche.
+headshots are good
+stats... bring the best parts of arcades into this game.
+personaly I like how the antagonist has a nice rack; but your side kick is more modest. They seem to balance eachother so no matter your size preferance you get the cleavage you want.
+phospherous grenades: so much better than lighing crap on fire in HL2, I acually wanted people to get thrid degree burns for my enjoyment.
+nice use of cover by the AI, although they wern't grenade happy.
+ sintek gunners... they unleash whoopass, they gib... they make me happy to be alive to kill them...
+scope on the assualt rifle was nice, (and i can just see your sniper rifle using duag rounds)

- the monsters arn't terrible but they arn't terribly unique either
-the falling damage was a little stiff
-you do need to have a little background in the story... but youll also see that most of the game you run though location you'll swear you've seen in the original sin.
-I was to high on adreniline to notice...
*-change the melee system, id like to see you be able to pull of a minor attack string and possibly hit people weapons away
*-duag rounds dont go through doors (or some)

Talyene 05-11-2006 02:20 AM

SiN Episodes: Emergence Feedback and Suggestions

"Hmmm . . . Not convinced."

I have been looking forward to playing this ever since Steam started advertising its release.

I remember seeing SiN on the shelves in the late 90s (actually Elexis' cleavage caught my eye) and thinking that looks like a cool game.

Given the chance to play it and its new installment was too tempting and so like many of you, I pre-ordered, hoping to get something to wet my appetite and see how well Ritual could flex the Source Engine's muscles.

I have to say, I am disappointed. I really was geared up for this. I read all the background material, watched all the movies put out, thinking (and rightly so) this was going to rock.

**** Warning this contains Spoliers ****

1. The opening score is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's my PC or the game, but it seems to stop short, just before the Title Screen. It would have been nice if it had played all the way through and shown you either a demo of the gameplay, or set the scene, maybe recapping for those of us who never played the original the SiN story.

2. You have to admit, the character models are impressive. Even the bad guys you initially meet, are delights to the eye and fighting them is very satifying (especially head shots). Just goes to show what you can do with Source if you put your mind to it. I disagree with anybody who says this is just an expensive HL2 Mod. The whole game, including the score, characters, story and settings have their own feel to them and are in no way similar to HL2.

3. The first few levels are great. (Up until half way through the U4 Lab). They really get you into the game, although the reason why you're here and the story i general isn't 100% clear (</font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">something about meeting someone who has some info on Radek</span><font class="post">).

4. The whole thing with the healing stations, recharging them with new canisters and being able to smash canisters and walk through the dispering cloud of Regenibiotic gas to heal damage is really well done and very convincing. </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">The Transibiotic mutagen chemical stuff is also cool in the way it slows the game down around you, allowing you to react quicker (not quite bullet time, but similar). The only problem with this is it seems to mess up the sound and make it stuttery.</span><font class="post">

5. Car scenes are cool, although shooting from the car is not easy.

6. </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Mutant bosses. Cool idea. Like them very much. Very scary. Little too hard to kill, but I can accept why they're there.</span><font class="post">

7. SinTEK Heavy Gunner. These are just unfair. How do you expect us to survive when you only give us a pistol, shotgun and a machine gun? Not only do they tote miniguns, but their hard as nails and built like brick shit houses! I mean come one. 1 or 2, maybe 3 I can handle in quick succession, but when you have to deal with wave after wave after wave, you being to wonder whether the ingenious Personal Challenge Systemô has a screw loose or is just a malicious piece of software.

8. In conjunction with the last point, there's a part of the game where you're surrounded by shelves of Transibiotic canisters and mercs keep jumping on you and in order to escape the firefight, you have to solve a puzzle. Hold on a sec. You want us to run and gun and solve a puzzle against a veritable army of SinTEK guards and heavy gunners, with a couple of mutants and A.R.C.s thrown in for fun?! Have you lost your minds. Split it down. Let us fight a bit, kick some ass and then have a breather and solve some puzzles. Otherwise we're going to end up dying lots and that spoils things.

9. Unfortunately, the game seems to continue in that vein. After that simple, but tough puzzle, you continue to be faced on masse by armies of sinTEK Heavy Gunners. The only way you seem to be able to take these guys out without them wasting you, is a can of Transibiotic mutagen and the machine gun with the scope activated (which for some reason isn't affected by recoil (?)).

10. </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Ending with destroying a helicopter (screams we've been pinching ideas from Valve). Couldn't you have been more original than that? I know this is just one of 9 episodes and that was probably equivalent to a quarter game boss, but then don't add in another mutant, or just have the mutant and not the helicopter, or have a different kind of mutant!</span><font class="post"> That just makes it impossible all over again and I'm not Tom Cruise!

In conclusion. Excellent use of all the Source engine has to offer. Brilliant faces, voice acting, music, settings, weapons, enemies, kit, friends and foes. Nice ideas with the healing and mutagen. Would have been nice to see some more of JC and have John speak more (he's not Gordon Freeman!). SinTEK Heavy Gunners need to have their kryptonite found, cause they're too damn hard and the story could have been explained a little better. The bosses could have been countermanded slightly with some heavier (and meatier) weaponry (RPG launcher, EMP rifle, flame thrower etc.) and/or armour for Blade (actually armour in general would be a good idea, like the original).

ATimson 05-11-2006 02:40 AM

I'm still early on, but I do have to say this: in media res for the win. Good idea, Shawn et al--really, this is something we haven't seen since Doom II, and it took me back. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JayShadow 05-11-2006 03:08 AM

Liked the game overall and am looking forward to the next ones.

Like a lot of other people are mentioning, the spawns later in the game are just BS. I'm not worried about the difficulty, but I worry greatly about enemies appearing out of thin air. It completely took me completely out of the world and let me know I was in a game. The first glaringly obvious one is the construction yard like people mentioned. When you walk into the area, you actually stare right at the dead end where some guy is gonna spawn out of thin air when you round the corner. Then later in a cluttered area that's obviously gonna be a combat zone, if you start lobbing grenades or using the secondary on the scatter gun, nothing gets hit because they don't exist yet...but if you walk 2 more steps 3 guys magically walk out of those dead end spaces. That area was the most obvious, but later on in the tower I actually walked around a corner during a fight and watched one of the flying security bots spawn in front of me, and it happened every time I rounded that corner because I died a LOT there [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Things were pretty difficult, but I did set the slider up a bit high so I can't complain too much. I did finish the game, so it couldn't have been too tough. Plus I think the length of the game helped because I knew even if it took long in one area, it wasn't gonna take me a month to finish the game at that pace.

Oddly enough, because I knew in my mind that it was a short game, it actually felt longer because anytime it kept going it seemed like a bonus to me.

Only other problem was lack of direction sometimes. Mainly when I jumpmed in the car the last time it's a short ride, and by the time I got to the end I still didn't quite know how I was switching seats. Went from front to back and no clue how to get to the front again.

Zinsane 05-11-2006 03:41 AM

Played through with the top bar all to the right, and the bottom at the middle. Took longer then 6 hours which was a nice suprise a company that underestimates its length. My only problem that hasnt been posted is that there is no manual html style like there was for Sin 1 (Steam) and that the various challenge ratings could be explained deeper, so me and my friends can talk smack vs eachother with confidence we actully know what were talking about. And the soundtrack isnt released retail yet.
Edit: I just remembered also, I am unable to get the logitech G-15 keyboard to detect Sin, was support dropped?

CrimsonDeathBed 05-11-2006 04:03 AM

Welp heres my feedback.

I just got Elder Scrolls Oblivion a few days ago, and I was playing it up until today. So, Sin:e totally pulled me away from it. It is without a doubt in my top favorite fps's. I have no problems with the game what-so-ever. It loaded well, hasnt crashed on me, runs smooth. Even quake 4 crashed on me many times, so thumbs up to ritual. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] One thing I'd like to see more of in future episodes, is the co-op type of play you get, like when Jessica is runing around with you. I thought that was really cool. Also, I enjoyed the music, it gave it a more "epic" feeling.

So really, my only complaint is that I have to wait for episode two. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good job devs.

CESR 05-11-2006 04:14 AM

I really liked the soundtrack for the game, but it did seem to pop up in odd places, then abruptly end... I guess I would beat certain scenes before the background music would finish.

Going back to the music popping up in certain areas, now I know the developers did that to heighten the emotional impact of certain scenes(just like HL2) but how bout having a consistent soundtrack constantly playing throughout, just like the original SiN? The big difference in this case would be that the soundtrack would be dynamic, in which there would be a different tune for each area (play Deus Ex Invisible War if you don't know what I mean). Then if trouble comes around, the music would pick up in pace and beat, then slow back down once the threat was removed, or linger around if you're not sure if there's still a threat(just play any stealth game to get what I'm talking about. MGS, SC) and finally, if there was a "cinema" then those scenes of course would have their own tune.

A few more suggestions... Make Blade talk more by having more banter between him and the enemies as well as JC, or Jessica, or whoever else shows up in the SiN universe. Blade being talkative was the only way we could get to know him and the characters... Unless you want to pull a "Gordon Freeman" esque character?

Graphics are OK. The textures on the environment and characters could have a much higher resolution. And as always, optimizing the framerate is always a plus if its possible even with or without hi-res textures.

Finally, make the grenades less bouncy and rolly, or decrease Blade's throwing distance, or both. Also maybe you could adjust their detonation time, but that could just be my preference.

For those who know.. how do you extract the audio files from the game?

TiberianFiend 05-11-2006 04:24 AM

Too much Half-Life, not enough SiN. My shortlist of suggestions:

1. More rock. The music in the original SiN was awesome. Most of the music in Episodes is boring (save for the title theme).

2. More Blade. There were several instances where Blade absolutely should have said something, </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">like when the drug dealer guy injects Jessica with the serum and throws her from the helicopter</span><font class="post">.

3. More repartee. It's ok for the game to have a more serious tone, but one of the ways JC and Blade cope with tough situations is through humor.

I'll also throw in a stealth fourth suggestion: kill off Jessica Cannon. She's too much like Alyx Vance: a generic female character with no memorable lines. At the very least, find a voice actress who's capable of making the source material sound interesting.

nba1341 05-11-2006 05:27 AM

Re: Main menu song

The game is awsome i spent about 1 1/2 hours just on messing and having fun on stuff that would take probally 20 minutes to do just running through.

Hopefully the code gets updated to the latest source engine build.

Also it does suck Blade doesn't talk at all do you ever see his model in the third person? Because It looks really cool in shots on the website but I havent seem him yet in third person which woudl probally be in cut scenes or whatever.

Main suggestions for Ep 2 would be:
Blade to talk more
Mabe a new weapon or two

Smoke39 05-11-2006 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TiberianFiend:
Too much Half-Life, not enough SiN. My shortlist of suggestions:

1. More rock. The music in the original SiN was awesome. Most of the music in Episodes is boring (save for the title theme).

2. More Blade. There were several instances where Blade absolutely should have said something, </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">like when the drug dealer guy injects Jessica with the serum and throws her from the helicopter</span><font class="post">.

3. More repartee. It's ok for the game to have a more serious tone, but one of the ways JC and Blade cope with tough situations is through humor.

I totally agree. All three of those take off a lot of the edge and personality of Sin and give the game Half-Life-ish blandness. Which isn't to say that Half-Life is bad, it's just a completely different style. I'm also not suggesting that Emergence is totally bland: the game has it's own color palette (I'm noticing a trend of yellows and oranges and reds), which gives it its own personal flair, and at least the enemies aren't as mute as Blade ("We're unstoppable!" etc).

Talyene 05-11-2006 05:50 PM

Soundtrack Released

If by retail you mean in the shops, then no, I don't think so, but you can download it from iTunes and it's pretty cool.

MadMax 05-11-2006 07:33 PM

Re: Soundtrack Released

Finished Emergence this afternoon, but before I give some extended feedback, I want to reply to some:

Quote:

Urggh, I HATE those [chaingunners]! I was almost stuck at the place with the fusebox because of them and my low health. But I definitely agree that the jump between the full-helmet grunts and them is too high. I'm decent at headshotting, but...

Quote:

SinTEK Heavy Gunner. These are just unfair. How do you expect us to survive when you only give us a pistol, shotgun and a machine gun? Not only do they tote miniguns, but their hard as nails and built like brick shit houses! I mean come one. 1 or 2, maybe 3 I can handle in quick succession, but when you have to deal with wave after wave after wave, you being to wonder whether the ingenious Personal Challenge Systemô has a screw loose or is just a malicious piece of software.

Now I don't know what I did wrong or right, but I started out the game with the difficulty slider at one third to the left, so as to say "challenging but not overly so". I wanted to give the game freedom to adjust to my skill. It started off very easy indeed, but picked up the pace with my skill very quickly. In fact the stats say I died around 30 times during all of the episode! And still, I never had any problems with those chaingunners, or any respawning enemies for that matter. I know they spawn, I absolutely hated it when I was recharging my health at a station after having killed all of them in the area... and suddenly another two were behind me. But it never got to the frustration point many here are describing, I always thought I had a fair chance against the chaingunners and the jetpack guys. Use secondary fire more often against those tougher types! You get enough ammo for secondary scatter and assault rounds later in the game.

Quote:

(not quite bullet time, but similar). The only problem with this is it seems to mess up the sound and make it stuttery.

The audio actually starts echoing, it's a special effect that was added to the slowmotion, not a bug. And a very cool effect at that.

Quote:

The textures on the environment and characters could have a much higher resolution.

Umm... I thought the textures were very high-res. I could see details (like letters in text) I never thought I'd see.

Okay, now for my personal opinion...

First I want to say that I went into it with my mind as open as possible because I was skeptic from some screenshots and a trailer. But hey, it's SIN! After seven years my favourite FPS has come back to life and of course there has been a lot of changes in seven years, and I think Ritual has captured that part of the story very well. You know you are in Freeport, you can see the buildings that you know from Sin 1, but there's also a lot of new and futuristic stuff there and this intermix is great. Same goes for the people around the area, the enemies, the tech and the mutants. All of this stuff has evolved but is still recognizable. The humor is still there; I really had some good laughs at the hazard pictograms around the labs. But one thing that's missing from this new Sin universe is the chatter between Blade and everyone else. Really, it was way too quiet during all that time, and as some have said, Jessica's VA didn't do the best job of voicing that "rookie". Yes, Jessica probably is a bit on the easy side and one to make remarks, but she was too loose in tense situations. It felt out of character sometimes. And I'll say again, without Blade saying anything except "come in, Jessica", future episodes won't be as entertaining as they could be.

As for the elements that make a game:

Story: Umm... WHERE did Elexis come from, why is she even allowed back in the city, and how the hell did Blade end up in her hands at the start of the game? There's way too little background info on that. It's great that Elexis is back, but I want to know why and how. And Blade should have some attitude about her return, not be totally silent (see above). I was also caught by surprise when the plot started moving so quickly. Jessica barely said three words and I was fighting SinTEK guys at the docks. I know we're on to chase down Radek because he has this mutagen... but what does he have to do with it all anyway? Mystery is good in a series, but this is a game and an episode runs longer than one hour, so I'd like more explanation and plot development. Also, the ending was a bit unspectacular... Loved the preview though!

Gameplay: This is Sin, I noticed that from the first shot. The weapons feel powerful and are lots of fun to use, the enemies make worthy opponents and are fun to blast away, even though they are a bit little varied. The maps are believably real-world oriented, a strength from the original Sin. The style in which the areas are crafted and the number of usable devices really give the new world the Sin touch, though some stuff could have been more interactive (locks come to mind). The SinTEK tower looks extremely cool from the inside, running around the outer walls above the water is a thrill and using secondary fire to blow the chaingunners away is just cool. The fight against the big mutant (first time) was extremely thrilling and rewarding as well.
Also, the game is hard. It's really difficult in later maps even though I never felt overwhelmed by enemies. You have to watch your health bar and use the zoom function sometimes to take good shots and stay alive. It comes all naturally to you after a while though and feels great once you get the hang of it.

Graphics: In the beginning it looked a little dated. True, the Source engine is a good engine to produce the stuff we see in Sin, but it's older than one year now and games like F.E.A.R. have shown that even the Doom 3 effects can be incorporated in a Source-like environment. Still, Emergence has lots of shining spots in the later maps and the theme is visually well produced (someone mentioned the colour tones that give the game a unique visual style).
The character models look great, I've even befriended Elexis' new look. It's too bad we never see any cutscenes from third person, so we never see Blade. But this seems to be the latest trend to generate "realistic immersion" in a game... just like missing protagonist speech [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sound: OH YES. The audio in Emergence is fine. The SFX are boomy and convincing, the mutants sound cool, the weapons pack a punch through my subwoofer and the environmental audio is chilly when no music is running. While I loved Sin's continuous soundtrack, I feel that the new approach (which seems to be another trend these days) goes well with Sin Episodes because there's enough ambient audio to create atmosphere without music. And when the music kicks in, it's just breathtaking. Man, I was so impressed when the Elexis Mansion theme came on when I met her hologram the first time! Some other areas have new musical style, but it always fits the game and the mood. Great work by Zak in that department too.

Overall: Well, is it Sin or not? I say it is Sin like it should be today. Granted, Sin Episodes now always produces that "old and classic" feeling when you replay Sin 1, so it's definitely different because it's more modern. But there is enough Sin in it to be a true Sin game, and I'm very happy that our favourite game which hasn't been recognized for so long will now be made into such a big saga. The only downside is the waiting time until episode 2 comes. But I have a feeling I'll replay Emergence very soon, because a) it can be replayed without sacrificing too much of your precious spare time (because it's short) and b) it's cooler than many other games I'd want to replay "later", like in a year or two. And I hope that Ritual come up with some improvements to Emergence before the second instalment rolls around, so to make Emergence even better and give us another reason to replay.

Some stuff I'd like to see in episode 2: Freeport CITY (downtown!), the HC HQ, JC face to face, more Blade speech (dialogue), a little more of everything (weapons, enemies, mutants, but you guys know all this), and please, more plot.

Newblade 05-11-2006 08:06 PM

I've only got to add a few things to what MadMax said:
Give us more car action and the return of ABOs... and maybe body awareness in the future (not a very important feature, but nice anyway)...

anton_es 05-11-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Talyene:
"Hmmm . . . Not convinced."

I have been looking forward to playing this ever since Steam started advertising its release.

I remember seeing SiN on the shelves in the late 90s (actually Elexis' cleavage caught my eye) and thinking that looks like a cool game.

Given the chance to play it and its new installment was too tempting and so like many of you, I pre-ordered, hoping to get something to wet my appetite and see how well Ritual could flex the Source Engine's muscles.

I have to say, I am disappointed. I really was geared up for this. I read all the background material, watched all the movies put out, thinking (and rightly so) this was going to rock.

**** Warning this contains Spoliers ****

1. The opening score is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's my PC or the game, but it seems to stop short, just before the Title Screen. It would have been nice if it had played all the way through and shown you either a demo of the gameplay, or set the scene, maybe recapping for those of us who never played the original the SiN story.

2. You have to admit, the character models are impressive. Even the bad guys you initially meet, are delights to the eye and fighting them is very satifying (especially head shots). Just goes to show what you can do with Source if you put your mind to it. I disagree with anybody who says this is just an expensive HL2 Mod. The whole game, including the score, characters, story and settings have their own feel to them and are in no way similar to HL2.

3. The first few levels are great. (Up until half way through the U4 Lab). They really get you into the game, although the reason why you're here and the story i general isn't 100% clear (</font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">something about meeting someone who has some info on Radek</span><font class="post">).

4. The whole thing with the healing stations, recharging them with new canisters and being able to smash canisters and walk through the dispering cloud of Regenibiotic gas to heal damage is really well done and very convincing. </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">The Transibiotic mutagen chemical stuff is also cool in the way it slows the game down around you, allowing you to react quicker (not quite bullet time, but similar). The only problem with this is it seems to mess up the sound and make it stuttery.</span><font class="post">

5. Car scenes are cool, although shooting from the car is not easy.

6. </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Mutant bosses. Cool idea. Like them very much. Very scary. Little too hard to kill, but I can accept why they're there.</span><font class="post">

7. SinTEK Heavy Gunner. These are just unfair. How do you expect us to survive when you only give us a pistol, shotgun and a machine gun? Not only do they tote miniguns, but their hard as nails and built like brick shit houses! I mean come one. 1 or 2, maybe 3 I can handle in quick succession, but when you have to deal with wave after wave after wave, you being to wonder whether the ingenious Personal Challenge Systemô has a screw loose or is just a malicious piece of software.

8. In conjunction with the last point, there's a part of the game where you're surrounded by shelves of Transibiotic canisters and mercs keep jumping on you and in order to escape the firefight, you have to solve a puzzle. Hold on a sec. You want us to run and gun and solve a puzzle against a veritable army of SinTEK guards and heavy gunners, with a couple of mutants and A.R.C.s thrown in for fun?! Have you lost your minds. Split it down. Let us fight a bit, kick some ass and then have a breather and solve some puzzles. Otherwise we're going to end up dying lots and that spoils things.

9. Unfortunately, the game seems to continue in that vein. After that simple, but tough puzzle, you continue to be faced on masse by armies of sinTEK Heavy Gunners. The only way you seem to be able to take these guys out without them wasting you, is a can of Transibiotic mutagen and the machine gun with the scope activated (which for some reason isn't affected by recoil (?)).

10. </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'">Ending with destroying a helicopter (screams we've been pinching ideas from Valve). Couldn't you have been more original than that? I know this is just one of 9 episodes and that was probably equivalent to a quarter game boss, but then don't add in another mutant, or just have the mutant and not the helicopter, or have a different kind of mutant!</span><font class="post"> That just makes it impossible all over again and I'm not Tom Cruise!

In conclusion. Excellent use of all the Source engine has to offer. Brilliant faces, voice acting, music, settings, weapons, enemies, kit, friends and foes. Nice ideas with the healing and mutagen. Would have been nice to see some more of JC and have John speak more (he's not Gordon Freeman!). SinTEK Heavy Gunners need to have their kryptonite found, cause they're too damn hard and the story could have been explained a little better. The bosses could have been countermanded slightly with some heavier (and meatier) weaponry (RPG launcher, EMP rifle, flame thrower etc.) and/or armour for Blade (actually armour in general would be a good idea, like the original).

hmmm.
i had no problem getting through the game.
adjusted the sliders to the middle.

maybe you should try sliding all the way to the left.

second: dont do any headshots. use only one, max 2 grenades when
there are really many grunts. use the expolding barrels.
i played around with the dyn.difficulty and above tips should
have an quick effect on which enemies and how much are spawned.

the more the sliders to the left means: starts very easy, then
adjusts to your gameplay: means: can get VERY VERY hard, but
if you change your style or die a lot, it should adapt very quickly.
remember: if you are in a hard spot: no headshots/not 2 much grenades.

when i started spamming nades in one level just for fun they started to throw back (and no bad aim !!). when i started to make headshots, they
started to shoot secondary fire and tried to make prediction shots
through crates, doors.

i like how this system plays out.

i like the ending. after the first mutant monster the second one is not so a problem. just a lot of dodging. the helicopter shootout is only the conclusion of the previous scene with </font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'"> jessica being injected. this was the real ending/cliffhanger wanting me to buy the next episode. and you do not destroy the copter, radek will stay alive for future episodes</span><font class="post">

the first monster was easy too, after i had an strategy:
(i died 4times)
shoot mutagen. wait for slowmo-meter to fill up to the top, trigger
the monster and then throw a few predicition grenades.
wait for the monster to smash the wall in front of you.
still under slomo-effect i aligned 8 headshots with the magnum-secondary.
after that only dodging and unloading shotty when close, machinegun
when medium range.

chaingun-dudes: run up to them in a circle (they will not start shootin since they are a little confused and have to start up that chain thingi)
and blast them 3x in the head with the shotty -&gt; BAAAAMMMM !
they explode (u gotta love that !)
if more than 2 chains, soften up with nades, headshot in zoom with
machinegun. BUT u have to shoot the head or your toast and they start
firing right away.

still dying:
try practicing with other FPS like doom3, cs:s or to:crossfire.

remember, this is no F.E.A.R., no hiding and planning.
run + gun + blast AWAYYYY !!!!

i even managed to MELEE an chain to death when u really are quick
and run around him ... and he's alone, of course.

Caine123 05-11-2006 08:33 PM

I want again kick ass electro, metal music ! with blade's cool sentences and no babysitter........... jessica......

nba1341 05-11-2006 08:34 PM

They should have used detial textures because there pretty from far away but up close its a disaster. For such a nice looking game detial textures would have been really cool.

anton_es 05-11-2006 08:41 PM

u have enough explanation about the beginning in the first few minutes
</font><span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.className='spoilerhighlight'" onmouseout="this.className='spoiler'"> u learn that you WANTED to get captured by V.Radek to have him tracked to find out about his U4-labs, i think the fact that Elexis is there is surprise for you, too. and you did not expect to get injected with who-knows-what.
and u get to discover a connection between Radek and Sintek which can help you bring sintek down in future episodes.
by the way: who says that Elexis is alive ? in the rest of the game she only appears as an hologram. maybe her in the beginning is an hologram, too.
so maybe she really was not resurrected and is still in the computer [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </span><font class="post">

ertertwert 05-12-2006 02:37 AM

I already posted some feeback, but YES - add more dialgue between Blade and everyone else. This is the big difference between HL and SiN. I guess you could say this was a "test" to see if the HL version would work, and to an extent it does. But many times I felt it ws missing to have that interaction. And this is coming from a guy who just beat SIN hours before Emergence - not a hardcore fan of the series.

ralc 05-12-2006 03:43 AM

ok, i loved it
i decided to leave the sliders alone incase i wasnt up to any harder, I got through the game fine, all the levels before the high rise building were actually quite easy.
I definately noticed the dynamic difficulty kick in at the high rise, where it would replace the gunners with grunts. I can be like a lemming so if i see a nice hole ill jump down it knowing im gonna die but cant resist, unfortunately this might mean an adjustment in difficulty even though i did it on purpose lol but thats my own fault.
im playing through the game through again on full difficulty with no adjustment lol i dont expect to complete it but its a nice challege to try, im currently struggling at the U4 lab.
I played through not saving it manually, i wanted to play it like Farcry when if i die i just start from where the game chooses to save (makes things alot more fun i think) I almost made it but was forced to save twice on the end booss, that bit was just too tricky to do all at once.

The only main gripe with the game is the wall shots, the enemies defintely seem to shoot through walls, (i dont mean the wooden stalls), they seem to shoot through the edge of concrete walls and can be really annoying.
I also agree with the comments about blade not talking.

It defintely keeps the sin1 feel for shooting, the magnum is amazing.

For future episodes i would like to see the granades have more functionality, so you can decided how hard to throw them by how long you hold the button. Also would be good if you could roll them! maybe if when you crouch down and press grande button the chracter rolls instead of throws. Then we could roll em under vehicals and holes in fences :-)