Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Suttering in docks area. (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17576)

CamperJoe 05-15-2006 05:07 PM

Suttering in docks area.

Okay its like this, i get loads of stuttering in the docks area, wich is quiet anoying and its.. to say ruining the game for me basicly, i can run all source game no problem, this is wierd, is this a game issue?

ATI radeon 800 pro 512 mb
1,7 Gig Ram DDR3
3,4 Amd Xp 64 -bit

I expected to see it run perfectly.

Parnic 05-15-2006 05:12 PM

Re: Suttering in docks area.

Are you having video stuttering, sound stuttering, unplayable framerates? What specific sort of issues are you having here?

Also, is the card you listed a 9800?

Finally, what graphics/sound settings are you playing the game at? Have you tried lowering these to gain some more performance?

CamperJoe 05-15-2006 05:18 PM

No its a 800X pro, iam getting alot of FPS trouble, iam playing the game full out on max, Half-life 2 can handle it, Day of Defeat : source can handle it, The Half-Life 2 : Lost coast with HDR can handle it perfectly aswel.

Parnic 05-15-2006 05:20 PM

Ah, an X800. Have you tried lowering some of your settings just to see if that solves the problem?

Have you verified that you have all the latest drivers for your hardware?

CamperJoe 05-15-2006 05:22 PM

Ye, its all up to date, and i just tried medium textures, same thing, turning AA off did not work either.

Parnic 05-15-2006 05:24 PM

We have some changes coming into Wednesday's patch that should help alleviate this framerate issue. Please wait until Wednesday and let us know if you still have the problem after the patch. Thanks.

CamperJoe 05-15-2006 05:26 PM

I think it could be that source code problem, i had these simmilair problems when valve made that awefull update to the source engine, were the sounds stuttered and the framerate suffered, i hope it does fix it, its currently the only thing between me wanting to play the game over and over if you get what i mean.

Sejefar 05-16-2006 07:16 AM

I have the same problem. My system is high-end and runs Doom III, Half-life 2, F.E.A.R, Quake IV etc. etc. on high settings and no problems at all. But Sin Episodes causes a lot of troubles! Unless some serious action is taken I really hope that a lot of customers will Boykot the next episode!

DI_MeisterM 05-16-2006 08:00 AM

It simply has to do with the map. On my dualcore 3ghz intel d830 with 2gb ram and geforce6800gt it's exactly the same in that part of the map. Source Engine or not, it looks like because of too many details on the map.

Sejefar 05-16-2006 08:17 AM

It is not only that map. It happens at severel points in the game and allways at the same locations. But i really don't care what the reason is. When I buy something for money I expect it to work. This product has obviously not been tested properbly. Until it is fixed it is not worth the price. Nevertheless I'm quite lucky I can play most of the game. If you look around in this forum, you'll find that many can't play it at all because it crashes all the time! Such a product should not have been released...

CamperJoe 05-16-2006 10:55 AM

Thats harsh, but i seriously want that map to be optimised, it can be done, speaking as a rather good mapper

Parnic 05-16-2006 12:55 PM

The game was tested as thoroughly as we could - a small testing staff is no match for thousands and thousands of people playing a game. Please wait until wednesday's patch and see if this issue persists.

There are many many people who are quite pleased with their experience, they just don't come to the forums to post about it. We thank you for purchasing SiN Episodes and for being patient with us while we work out the issues that some people are having with the game. Your continued support and input is helping us to find and fix problems in the game.

Superfly 05-16-2006 01:03 PM

Quite pleased is an understatement, there are thousands of people who are having a ball with Episode One, keep up the great support and great games!!!

most users here are mature enough to realize these issues cant be helped and will be fixed soon.

good job.

Parnic 05-16-2006 01:05 PM

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just trying to let everyone know we are listening to them and working hard to fix their issues. Thanks superfly!

Sarkie 05-16-2006 03:45 PM

When I first had a problem with HL2 if you use a huge paging file, when playing SIN:E load a task manager click View, Update speed and select performance, play the game and it will say the peek.

Then I made a paging file static just loads more than the Source engine needed and the stuttering went down a lot, maybe a reduction in Thrashing and such.

Sarkie

ATimson 05-16-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sarkie:
Then I made a paging file static just loads more than the Source engine needed and the stuttering went down a lot, maybe a reduction in Thrashing and such.

Hmm. I'll have to try that. Currently, I'm actually running with no paging file; while it's fine for most of the game, with 1.5 GB of RAM, the docks are FPS-drop heaven. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sarkie 05-16-2006 06:19 PM

No page file are you mad! ha.

Sarkie

Parnic 05-16-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

No page file are you mad! ha.

Sarkie

QFT! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sarkie 05-16-2006 06:30 PM

From my guestimate, Source needs more than 1.5 gig of Memory, so when it runs out it is stuttering by Thrashing pages in an out of memory.

Sarkie (thanks for the Moderator post)

ATimson 05-16-2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

From my guestimate, Source needs more than 1.5 gig of Memory, so when it runs out it is stuttering by Thrashing pages in an out of memory.

Maybe. Most of the game, it was content with ~750 MB of memory, but I never actually looked during the Docks portion--pretty much, I was only looking when the game crashed and I needed to End Task it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]--so it could be using significantly more there.

So. I now have a page file, since I'm not trying to be nuts. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Time to see if it improves anything....

EDIT: Alas, no noticeable improvement. Still getting an average of about 10 FPS on docks_02. And memory usage stayed under 500 MB.

CamperJoe 05-17-2006 02:55 AM

I have 1,7 gig of ram, and still getting it.

wenjon 05-17-2006 06:51 AM

Just like to chime in here.

I have 2gb of ram - nvidia 7800 GTX

I had the sound stuttering really bad while playing and reduced the ingame audio settings down to medium, and it helped reduce the stuttering.

I will grab the patch & see if that helps to reduce it a tad further?

Loving the game though.[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers Wen

ertertwert 05-17-2006 06:58 AM

Meh, might as well. I have a 6800gt and 2 gigs of ram and the game runs fine, aside from a few hitches (stuttering) when loadings sounds up for the first time. It's not a big deal as it's been a plague of every source game.