Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Problem Starting SiN:E (steam?) (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17598)

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 11:50 AM

Problem Starting SiN:E (steam?)

I just purchased SiN Emergence and FINALLY after getting the dumb@$$ steam program to load the game I now get 1 of 2 errors when trying to load the game ::

1.) "Can't load C:\program files\steam\steamapps\ares9brkr\sin episodes emergence\bin\filesystem_steam.dll

OR

2.) The game is no longer free please purchasse a copy

I purchased my copy at Wal-mart. paid in full so WTF

I purchase a game and as many people do expect it to work once it is installed, understanding that STEAM is part of it and had to be connecgted and updated first FINE . .. but WHY cant I launch the game now what other BS do I need to go through what other hoops are required to be jumped through so I can play this game.

if I can't make some progress on this today I will never buy another Ritual, STEAM, Valve product again no program should be this difficult to load and use and this is the only one I have encountered like this to date.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

KalZakath 05-16-2006 12:08 PM

Re: OK WTF!

Hmm, you may need to speak to the Steam guys @ Valve about this. Have you tried a re-install since? Also, do you get this error every time you try to play?

I had a weird thing happening - when I launced Sin:E with the Steam Games window open, Sin:E would sometimes go back to "preoloaded" status. When that happened, I couldnt run the game anymore - and the only menu option was to buy (or view preload info). Restarting Steam fixed it every time - my copy was pre-ordered and preloaded via Steam, no retail.

Since you have retail and not Steam DLed copy, I'd recommend (ignore if you've already tried) (a) trying Steam restart and see if it fixes it (b) Ask Steam to create a desktop shortcut, close Steam, run the shortcut (c) uninstall and reinstall the whole thing from DVD.

If you still have no joy, I'm sure one of the Ritual guys can help - or at least point you in the right direction for Steam support.

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 12:17 PM

after all that still getting Can't load C:\progrmafiles\steam\steamapps\ares9brkr\sin episodes emergence\bin\filesystem_steam.dll

Game shows 100% ready but will not launch consistently getting this error.

Can't load C:\progrmafiles\steam\steamapps\ares9brkr\sin episodes emergence\bin\filesystem_steam.dll

KalZakath 05-16-2006 12:49 PM

Damn, that's a pretty weird problem - either something is wrong with the retail version that I don't know about, something is wrong with the Steam that ships with the retail version (I assume that Steam was also on the DVD with the game?), or my final option...

In your paths, I see "program files" is "progrmafiles" - is the error showing the path as it's spelled on your machine? Just a stab in the dark...

I'm afraid I've never installed Steam from a product CD - HL2 and Sin:E were both purchased online and downloaded. I'm seriously wondering if there are problems with Steam packaged with Sin:E.

I guess after all this, you could be unlucky and have a faulty DVD - still, I think you'd see errors or problems during install, if that were the case.

Oh one last thing - edit your first post, change the title to "Problem launching Steam" or similar, then post again asking badman to move your thread to the tech support forum. Support will not be scanning threads called "OK WTF", unless they're very bored [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope you get it sorted!

Tecman 05-16-2006 01:13 PM

Please try the following:

In your root directory of Steam (in your case C:\progrmafiles\steam\) you will find a file called "steam.dll", copy this dll file to your bin directory (C:\progrmafiles\steam\steamapps\ares9brkr\sin episodes emergence\bin\).

Report back if it helped.

Also, did you install Steam off the retail CD or downloaded it from the web? And is the filesystem_steam.dll file 132 KB (135.168 bytes)?

Hollow_Man 05-16-2006 01:49 PM

The DVD version works fine. Both my friend and I bought it, and while I had mine preloaded on my hard drive and simply activated it with the CD Key, my friend installed from the DVD. Once he installed, he logged in, Steam updated some files for 5 minutes or so, then he was off and going.

We both had to restart Steam a few times to get everything stable. Quite a few times my Sin (and my CS: Source and HL2: DM) claimed that it was either at 0% loaded or "preloaded".

-HM

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 01:52 PM

SiN Lauch problems

copied file as instructed -- No change

also file size is completely normal (132kb)

Further suggestions ?

Hollow_Man 05-16-2006 02:06 PM

Re: SiN Lauch problems

Do you have other Steam/Source games (like HL2)? If so, do they work?

-HM

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 02:07 PM

Re: SiN Lauch problems

nope this is the first gam I have purchased that uses steam ... so far very unimpressed ...

friends have HL2 and CS source etc ... they all cant figure what is happening here either.

Parnic 05-16-2006 02:32 PM

Re: Problem Starting SiN:E (steam?)

I'm sorry you're having this problem; it sounds like something Steam-related and not SiN:E, but let's see if we can't fix it up for you [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Can you manually open "my computer" or windows explorer and go to:
C:\program files\steam\steamapps\ares9brkr\sin episodes emergence\bin
Look and see if the FileSystem_Steam.dll file does actually exist in that folder.

You may also try right-clicking on your game in steam, selecting "properties", select the "local files" tab, and click "verify integrity of game cache".

Let us know if either of these solutions helps you at all.

Parnic 05-16-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KalZakath:
Support will not be scanning threads called "OK WTF", unless they're very bored [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well, you're half right! We're checking all threads that get posted in the tech help forum, but I personally have not been in the emergence forum much. The tech help forum alone is a full-time job! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 02:42 PM

File does exist in the the bin directory where it is being looked for.

However I cannot verify the integrity as I am in offline mode at the moment. and not in an area that I can connect to the steam servers (behind a busiess firewall I have no access to allow the connection through)

any other suggestions ?

I am getting a similar error with SiN1 which states "could not in initialize Filesystem"

I did the updates this morning via my home connection and everything seemed to be working and connected however I never launched the game from home. are there more updates that are required? can I get them without going through the Steam client ?

any help is appreciated.
thanks

KalZakath 05-16-2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Parnic:
Well, you're half right! We're checking all threads that get posted in the tech help forum, but I personally have not been in the emergence forum much. The tech help forum alone is a full-time job! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Heh, yes I've read a couple of threads in there, and noted how sturdy and flame retardent your jacket is [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Me, I'd also need some glasses that make STUFF IN CAPS appear lowercase [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Drives me nuts

Sarkie 05-16-2006 03:35 PM

Can you do me a favour,
go to Search in start menu,
select Advanced and
click More Advanced and select Search System folders and search hidden and the file is Steam.dll and report back the locations of it.

Sarkie

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 04:01 PM

C:\Program Files\Steam - size 3,216KB Modififed today at 532AM
and
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\ares9brkr\sin episodes emergence\bin - size 3,216KB Modififed today at 532AM
and
C:\WINDOWS\System32 - Size 3,380KB Modified 1/21/2004 11:03pm

Sarkie 05-16-2006 04:02 PM

close Steam and then go to

C:\windows\system32 and delete the Steam.dll

try Sin:E now

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 04:07 PM

got further this time ... but still getting an error

SteamStartup() failed: SteamStartup(0xf,0x0013e054) failed with errr 200: failed to connect to any GeneralDirectoryServer, WinSock Error 10061 "Connection refused"

Keep in mind I am in offline mode as my current connection does not support the game contacting the servers... (I am at work [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Parnic 05-16-2006 04:09 PM

Good catch Sarkie.

Ares that certainly sounds like steam failing due to not being able to contact its servers. Can you try again when you get home?

Sarkie 05-16-2006 04:09 PM

close Steam and Delete the other two.

and do a search for Filesystem_steam.dll and delete those too.

Restart Steam, ill be back later

Sarkie

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 04:13 PM

so delete all instacnes of Steam.dll and Filesystem_steam.dll and reconnect ??

I will try this when I get to a good connection thanks [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sarkie 05-16-2006 05:17 PM

ok well, since you havent played Sin yet,

Go into your Steam folder and move the .gcfs elsewhere, uninstall Steam go to the Steam folder and delete it.

Then search for Steam.dll and Filesystem_steam.dll and if they exist repost if not, go to

www.steampowered.com

and get the latest client install, then move the .gcfs back to the correct folder if you do not know where repost, then verify the cache files by right clicking on Sin Episodes, properties, advanced verify ( think ) and then try the game,

if not then it maybe due to corrupt Winsock files at a guess, just follow these guidelines.

Sarkie

Sarkie 05-16-2006 05:19 PM

also do you have an Nvidia Firewall installed?

Ares9brkr 05-16-2006 05:22 PM

Zone Alarm is what I use for Firewall ... currently disabled and I disable it to get out to get the files when I am at home.

Sarkie 05-16-2006 05:34 PM

ok try the other part and post back, cheers

Sarkie (Ritual Tech Wannabe)

CLEANER21 05-16-2006 08:21 PM

Alright, I had the same problem and I've been checking support sites to see what the answer is. I think i've figured out the solution. Did you have to enter in a cd key when you loaded the game? If you didn't, the game will continue to be pre-loaded uintill you load the CD-key. Just open the Steam program and go to the top bar were Files is located. Click on Games and the option " Activate a Product on Steam..." should be available. Follow the wizard and enter your CD key. Once you activated the game, you should be able to play. You'll have to open Steam application every time you want to play, but it will work from here on out.