Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Editing (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Changing the main menu character? (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17667)

ebola9717 05-18-2006 04:18 AM

Changing the main menu character?

Has anyone figured out how to manually change which character is displayed at the main menu? It sometimes seems random, and sometimes it's always the same character. I thought maybe it was in the config file, but I had no luck finding it.

WhoZeDuke 05-18-2006 07:22 AM

Re: Changing the main menu character?

Blade seems to appear alot less than everyone else. I dont know how to choose.

KalZakath 05-18-2006 07:27 AM

When I first installed I had Jessica most of the time - after I progressed through the game I saw only blade. Now, after the patch, I have an error on startup in the console and a screwed-up menu with *no* character, and huge text [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Need to report that but @ work atm... got screenies of it last night after patching. I'm guessing I could be the only one, since I see no other mentions of odd menu behaviour... meh [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

he_the_great 05-18-2006 10:59 AM

I think as you progress through the game it chooses the character that is displayed. Then when you beat it, it would just randomly choose. I haven't been able to beat it yet to test that theory though.

Embryodead 05-18-2006 06:15 PM

This was bothering me also so I went looking into the config and checked the console upon loading of the menu/game.

This is what I have seen for various characters:

Spawn server background* and * being 01-04 when you check the console, this command does not work though and it is very frustrating.

03 is jessica and I just want jessica on the damn menu screen, I am so sick of looking at Radek and JC, seen Elexis once and Jessica first time I loaded the game. I hope someone figures out how to "spawn server background".

wisecode 05-18-2006 07:45 PM

These are done with Source engine background maps.

To see Jessica open the console and enter this:
map background01

Options are background01-06

You can also create this as a launch option for the game with a parameter line from the Steam Game Launcher.

The NPC actions are done with VCDs, essentially text files that contain Face Poser script commands.
(Part of the Source SDK)

Lord_Rick 05-18-2006 09:07 PM

ive seen blade just the once, i was starting to worry that ritual may not have actually given the poor bloke his own model :P

programmer2 05-19-2006 11:27 AM

wisecode almost got it right, the correct command would be "map_background", which loads the map while still showing the menu items on top of it.

This means that you can right click SiN:Emergence in your Steam games list, choose properties, click "Set launch options" and write "+map_background background01" (without the quotes) if you only want Jessica on your menu.

There are actually backgrounds for 01-06, but it seems that both 05 and 06 show Elexis (altough I can almost swear that it showed me Jessica the first time I loaded 05... weird).

If you really want some control, you could make yourself several shortcuts to start Emergence, each with a different character on the menu. Just ask Steam to create a desktop shortcut for you, and then edit the target line by appending the "+map_background background01", then make another pointing to background02 and so on.

wisecode 05-19-2006 11:41 AM

In my erratic head I did get it right.
Reason being, I like it that way, the menu hidden.
Simply press Esc to pull up the menu.
For me it seems better that way, works as a kind of desktop show.

I was even able to use Camtasia Studio to record a video I can watch at anytime, by using the hidden menu option.

Final line, it is subjective, the players have options.

anton_es 05-23-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KalZakath:
When I first installed I had Jessica most of the time - after I progressed through the game I saw only blade. Now, after the patch, I have an error on startup in the console and a screwed-up menu with *no* character, and huge text [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Need to report that but @ work atm... got screenies of it last night after patching. I'm guessing I could be the only one, since I see no other mentions of odd menu behaviour... meh [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He, i have this problem, tooo.
BIG, BIG menue letters and NEVER EVER ANY background characters
displayed. dont know if the patch did alter this, i think it was like this
always for me.

did you post that problem on steam ? what was the response ?

thanks, toni