Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Blade's "Skateboard" movement makes Sin unplayable (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17706)

zichzich 05-19-2006 07:47 PM

Blade\'s \"Skateboard\" movement makes Sin unplayable

Okay I've never had this in FPSs before, and not in Half Life 2 either. Why does it feel like Blade is slipping on ice whenever I try to move? This makes the game totally unplayable and my normal (not so) l33t dodging skills impossible to pull off. I've tried different graphics settings (lower/higher res, AA, filtering etc), with no change at all. This is running on a 6800GS so my PC is NOT underpowered!

Michael_Russell 05-19-2006 08:00 PM

Re: Blade\'s \"Skateboard\" movement makes Sin unplayable

Is there any particular surface where he seems to be "skating" more than another? Blade does move faster than protagonists in other games...

Maniac 05-19-2006 08:00 PM

Upgrade your mouse drivers and turn off mouse smoothing.

-Maniac

Michael_Russell 05-19-2006 08:01 PM

You can also try turing off "Always Run" in the advanced keyboard options menu.

zichzich 05-19-2006 08:05 PM

Re: Blade\'s \"Skateboard\" movement makes Sin unplay

Thanks for the replies... Michael, it seems to happen totally at random, and often. For example, I can tap the left or right strafe key and Blade will just glide for 3 or 4 seconds before I "regain" control of him. On quite a few occasions I've been making regular movement changes across one surface, and Blade will just glide sometimes. Erratic is the word here!

I haven't had this problem in ANY other game. Also, Maniac, it isn't the mouse aiming that is the problem, it is the _character_ movement.

Maniac 05-19-2006 08:06 PM

I've seen the problem in early builds of the source engine. I had the same problem you did playing "Vampire Bloodlines" but for HL2 and past the problem was fixed.

If you want to know what did it for me, I ran the game in win 98 comptatibility mode.

-Maniac

Michael_Russell 05-19-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zichzich:
Thanks for the replies... Michael, it seems to happen totally at random, and often. For example, I can tap the left or right strafe key and Blade will just glide for 3 or 4 seconds before I "regain" control of him. On quite a few occasions I've been making regular movement changes across one surface, and Blade will just glide sometimes. Erratic is the word here!

I haven't had this problem in ANY other game. Also, Maniac, it isn't the mouse aiming that is the problem, it is the _character_ movement.

Are you having framerate hitches as well, or just the movement issue?

zichzich 05-19-2006 08:49 PM

Michael, I don't believe so. I'm playing at 1440x900, and it's not quite as smooth as, say 1280xetc res's but I certainly don't get anything like frame rate "glitching".

Running Sin in Win98 compatibility mode brings up the message "HL2 Demo cannot play mods". :P So scrap that idea.

Edit: After a little more playing, I have to take back a previous comment: the movement "ice-skates" ALL the time, but Blade moving in one direction, out of control, only happens occasionally.

Michael_Russell 05-19-2006 08:58 PM

Have you tried turning off "Always Run"?

zichzich 05-19-2006 09:00 PM

Yes, Blade moves slower - of course - but still "skates". If I take my finger off one of the strafe keys, Blade does not immediately stop moving. It's as though he's permanently being affected by some inertia. :P

Michael_Russell 05-19-2006 09:04 PM

Do you have any gamepads installed? Are you using a USB keyboard? If so on the USB keyboard, is it attached to a hub? Are you using any high-traffic USB devices?

zichzich 05-19-2006 09:17 PM

No to all of those, BUT... I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard going through a KVM. So I tried a wired keyboard briefly, and that does seem - strangely - more stable. All other FPSs I've tried with this setup seem fine though. :P

I'll try playing a little more with a wired keyboard and mouse and see if it really is much different.

zichzich 05-19-2006 09:34 PM

Turns out it is, but also Ritual have decided to make Blade's movement unnaturally smooth. I'm used to UT2004 style "trudging". It still feels like skating, and is making it harder to make precise movement. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

UTWarden 05-20-2006 04:54 PM

out of pure curiousity KILL Xfire from running. try it again.

BioWeapon 05-21-2006 02:27 PM

I have this same problem. It was only after I downloaded the patch. It's not just with movement. It's like the keys are getting stuck, except they're not physically stuck. When I'm firing for instance, sometimes it won't stop shooting and I'll waste an entire magazine. My view also gets stuck in one direction for a moment or I'll move in a direction. It's just REALLY glitchy.

MogWaEE 05-21-2006 09:36 PM

I am experienceing the exact same problem: ever since the game was patched, my keys seem to stick, and also my mouse... the game is unplayable for me now.

Hollow_Man 05-22-2006 09:59 AM

I now at least once, when I started CS: Source, I would have this sort of behavior. I would press a key, it would take a smidge before I would start to move, and when I let go of the key, I would continue to move for that extra smidge. A reboot of PC/restart of Steam solved the problem.

I would make absolutely sure that there are no weird programs running that are taking up valuable CPU cycles.

-HM

rtpHarry 05-23-2006 05:04 PM

Yes me too... I have a 6800gt, the game is not freezing as other elements of the game still move normally but it seems to be both my inputs (keyboard and mouse) that get stuck.

Sometimes it will keep moving forwards in a certain direction (a keyboard press) and sometimes it will keep shooting (a mouse press) and in during the lockup further mouse and keyboard does nothing, but the baddies carry on shooting me.

I am on a ps2 keyboard (only realised this when i swapped out the keyboard to test a different one) and a microsoft intellimouse usb (tried two of those as well) but it seems as im not the only person it wont be the actual input devices at fault.

I dont run xfire, and I always close down any programs that could cause spikes in my system such as torrents or whatnot. Im running avast antivirus which is still running in the background.

Also only exprienced this since the patch was released, and its now totally unplayable.. is there a way to remove the patch because i wasn't even having any problems before this! :P

I dont know if its because I'm just sensitive to it now that i cant play sin but I also play DoD source a hell of a lot and i am noticing a very minor version of this bug in that. It only happens for a very short time compared to sin, and the game is still quite playable. Its more like a hiccup, I'll swing the mouse round to shoot somebody and it doesnt respond but a second flick of the mouse (if im not dead) will work. I havent tested any other source engine games (unless shadowgrounds demo is source engine in which case it runs fine).

Also I like the description of the bug lol, i was having trouble explaining it to my friends who dont have it happening to them, but skateboarding is very accurate!

Parnic 05-23-2006 05:23 PM

Can you guys add "-mode2" to your game's shortcut either in steam or on the shortcut you made for the game?

rtpHarry 05-23-2006 06:02 PM

i just tried it and i thought you had fixed it! I started at the bottom of sintek towers where i was when the game started bugging out, and loaded the game up and got to play most of the way through the carpark when i *ahem* got killed :P

after i started the level again it was back to normal stutters so i thought that maybe this mode2 status was being reset so i restarted the game and the jitters are back.

one thing i noticed was that my audio was crackly, and i have a ac97 onboard sound card so i check the audio menu and quality was on high. i hadn't changed any settings in this screen, i dont know if mode2 alters this but i put that down to medium audio quality and the sound stopped crackling.

seconds later i died for the first time as listed above, so thinking it was that i turned it back up to high quality audio but the input jitters continued.

one combo i havent tried is starting the game from already being on high quality audio mode with -mode2 enabled... i'll give it a quick whirl now.. you could have told me what mode2 actually was because im probably wasting my time right now :P

nope still sticks and same if i start a game from the beginning

i wonder why it worked for a whole life's worth now sticks like crazy?!

rtpHarry 05-23-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rtpHarry:
i just tried it and i thought you had fixed it! I started at the bottom of sintek towers where i was when the game started bugging out, and loaded the game up and got to play most of the way through the carpark when i *ahem* got killed :P

after i started the level again it was back to normal stutters so i thought that maybe this mode2 status was being reset so i restarted the game and the jitters are back.

one thing i noticed was that my audio was crackly, and i have a ac97 onboard sound card so i check the audio menu and quality was on high. i hadn't changed any settings in this screen, i dont know if mode2 alters this but i put that down to medium audio quality and the sound stopped crackling.

seconds later i died for the first time as listed above, so thinking it was that i turned it back up to high quality audio but the input jitters continued.

one combo i havent tried is starting the game from already being on high quality audio mode with -mode2 enabled... i'll give it a quick whirl now.. you could have told me what mode2 actually was because im probably wasting my time right now :P

nope still sticks and same if i start a new game from the beginning

i wonder why it worked for a whole life's worth now sticks like crazy?!

woops being a bit vague in some places there.. just to clarify - paragraph 2 "restarted the game" means closed it, opened it, and loaded my savegame.

para 3 - "hadnt changed any settings" means it was whatever the game sets itself up to from install

Parnic 05-23-2006 06:06 PM

Well I wanted to see if it would fix your problem before explaining it. -mode2 disables the "stutter fix" that was put in with patch 1. The stutter fix was taken directly from Valve because the stuttering is part of their engine's problem. However, the stutter seems to fix some people, do nothing to others, and break still others. The only other thing I can think of to help you is to try some of the solutions listed here:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Stuttering

10Stars 05-24-2006 02:14 AM

I had this problem in Source when i first played the game. What was happening was i was recieving CPU lag, and the movements were stopping late. It wasnt the game itself for me, it was my old computer itself lagging. if your CPU USAGE is bouncing from 20-100 when you are moving forward, if you release it you will continue to move forward until the CPU lag goes down. This was the problem i was having with my old computer. I have a new fast one and havent had the problem since.

dunklezhan 05-24-2006 12:54 PM

You bought a new computer to play Sin Emergence? Speaks highly for it! I think it rocks. But that's another story.

I too have the problem where he doesn't quite stop moving the instant I take my finger off a key. Its no more than a split second, so I thought it was designed in, sort of an attempt at realistic movement. Then I thought - but then you'd bob up and down too, like in the first one, so I came to the forums and lo! here is a thread. Not had ANYthing as severe as it refusing to stop at all, its just more of a glide as if on a slippery surface. Assumed sewers and office floors were both just slippy at first! I'm about half way between middle and recommended spec for the game so I don't think its my CPU necessarily - but it could be, its about the one part of my spec that is actually minimum for the game. Its not enough for me to stop playing though, I just try to compensate for it. Doesn't matter too much when you've got the slider set all the way to 'help faster'!

I'll try some of the suggested fixes when I get time, see what happens. Not going for upgrading my CPU though - I'd have to upgrade the motherboard. So then I'd also have to upgrade everything else...

Edit - forgot to say that I had quite a number of problems with the game before the patch came out, and that fixed everything else except the occasional sound stutter at loading screens, which I consider a big win for the first patch! I'd only just twigged this evening that the 'not always stopping when you wanted to' might be a 'bug' and not a 'feature'!

MogWaEE 05-24-2006 10:25 PM

No luck, mode2 didn't fix it... still unplayable...

all drivers up to date on a:
AthlonXP 3000
7800GS OC
1.5GB of ram

worked fine befoer the patch, aside from the insane difficulty, but at least the controls were responsive...