Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Turning on Joystick causes spinning (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17820)

BadLife 05-26-2006 12:03 AM

Turning on Joystick causes spinning

I read the other thread on looking up with the joystick, but I spin. I tried the exec joy which did not do anything. I checked to see if I was calibrated in windows and everthing is OK. Joystick works with all other games. I know of others with the same problem. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

gamejunkie 05-26-2006 12:10 AM

Re: Turning on Joystick causes spinning

I'd suggest unplugging it before you play, or do you want to play Sin Episodes with the joystick? If so, I'd suggest that you re-calibrate it. What kind of joystick do you have anyways?

joje 05-26-2006 12:42 AM

Yes it seems they have borked the joystick code. I've seen it posted on another site also .IIt seems odd, since the Source Engine has perfectly good joystick code.

Parnic 05-26-2006 01:57 AM

I personally tested joysticks and the one we used, I forget which model, worked fine with the exec joy. I'll keep looking for an answer but I'm not sure what to tell you guys at this point...I've never even heard of people playing FPS games with a joystick [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

BadLife 05-26-2006 11:20 AM

Does not surprise me but, I use the joystick for movement and a trackball for mouse look. There is a small but decicated group of FPS players that play this way. A lot of us stared out with the MadCatz Panther XL and now use a joystick and Trackball. After you get the hang of it, you will never go back [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Parnic 05-26-2006 12:19 PM

Which model/brand of joystick are you using that's causing the issue? Is it an actual "joystick" or "gamepad" ?

BadLife 05-26-2006 07:22 PM

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Opps sorry I am using a Saitek EVO. It works fine in other games with joystick support. It will also work with HalfLife 2. And I can get the old MadCatz Panther Xl to work with HalfLife 2 so I know the source engine supports joysticks [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BadLife 06-05-2006 09:50 PM

Any ideas on how to fix this? I [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Greg_Sorensen 06-06-2006 09:04 AM

Hi,

I have the spinning also, but it turned out to be my Z axis being either in the down or up position. Once I centered the Z, the spinning stopped. But again, I was spinning and looking at the sky.

Parnic 06-06-2006 12:13 PM

The only other things I can think of would be try moving every control on the joystick. Perhaps, as the previous poster stated, one of your axes is controlling the looking.

BadLife 06-21-2006 09:20 PM

Is this going to get fixed in the patch????? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] And before the next one [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Sarkie 06-22-2006 06:14 AM

It may do, since they are going to be using the latest Source Engine build it may be inadvertently get fixed by the next patch.

Keke 06-22-2006 12:47 PM

I have this same problem. I'm using Thrustmaster 360 Modena steering wheel with pedals. I only use pedals to move in game. Just finished Half-Life Episode 1 with the pedals, so it should work in HL based games. But it does not work with Sin, if joystick is enabled all I see is spinning.

Shame, I would love to play this game with pedals

JoelF 06-22-2006 10:27 PM

Pedals?

Whoa, you guys are hardcore...

I've never tried anything beyond keyboard/mouse setup. The last time I used a joystick was good old X-Wing / Tie-Fighter days. I should try the trackball setup at some point, though.

When I have one handy, that is.

Keke 06-23-2006 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JoelF:
Pedals?

Whoa, you guys are hardcore...

Analog pedals are great in games like Half-Life 2, whe I press the gas pedal just a little bit Gordon moves slowly and when I press the pedal to the metal then Gordon runs like a bunny [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

frankster 06-23-2006 06:33 AM

I have the same problem.
I am using a logitech extreme pro.
I'll bet they don't address this problem valve and or steam never akknowlege problems .
Hope someone in forums can solve this problem

Keke 06-23-2006 11:38 AM

I managed to get my pedals work by using program called JoyToKey. I mapped joystick forward and back to keys like "f" and "b" by using JoyToKey and then used "f" and "b" keys in Sin to go forward and back. Then disabled Sin joystic. Unfortunately pedals analog function is gone, but now I at least can play the game with my pedals.
JoyToKey web page

Parnic 06-23-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by frankster:
I have the same problem.
I am using a logitech extreme pro.
I'll bet they don't address this problem valve and or steam never akknowlege problems .
Hope someone in forums can solve this problem

We have replied several times in this thread that we are looking at and hoping to address the problem. We're not VALVe and Steam is only our delivery service.

frankster 06-24-2006 10:13 PM

My apologies Parnic , and good peeps of Ritual.
Thanks for looking into the problem.

SlicTrix 06-27-2006 06:20 PM

Yeah I too have the spinning with a CH 568 Combatstick (USB) / Kensington ExpertMouse Pro and Belkin 19 key keypad and I looked at the cfg file and I think I can fix it, from the looks of it the mouse axis is fighting the joystick axis. Going to try changing some values in there. Reminds me of the UnReal engine based games they spun too entill ya changed the v and z axis values.

Hey Badlife hows Steveo, yes I am a former PXL user. HeHe

SlicTrix 06-27-2006 07:25 PM

Heres your QuickFix, goto

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\"slictrix"\sin episodes emergence\SE1\cfg

Or where ever your installed the game to.

Where as "slictrix" is your name that you used when you created your install.

Open the cfg folder and open the file Config.cfg with notepad and make sure "Always Open With is Unchecked" and look for these two lines

joy_pitchthreshold "0.15"
joy_yawthreshold "0.15"

Change them to this

joy_pitchthreshold "1.00"
joy_yawthreshold "1.00"

Then exit and save changes and load the game and all should work fine.

(But any changes you make to your setup within game might change it back, so you might have to redo the config.cfg file after making any changes within game)

Not bad huh 1 hr later from my first post and I find the fix and someone has egg on thier face. LOL

Hey Ritual wanta hire me, I am good with controller issues, beer and women and I even like dogs & cats.

SlicTrix 06-27-2006 09:33 PM

Update within game changes don't effect the fix, but you can only make joystick changes from the main menu and NOT from within game.

Keke 06-28-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicTrix
Heres your QuickFix

Thanks SlicTrix! That did work, your the man! :)

SlicTrix 06-28-2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keke
Thanks SlicTrix! That did work, your the man! :)

Was surprized because your using a wheel and pedals but it figured to work for all, since I stopped the spinning on my sys with tests of two diferant joysticks.

Now just have fun and enjoy

wpns 09-07-2006 02:12 PM

I also posted this in the Steam Forums, but it probably belongs here. Left-handed analog joystick for movement and right-handed mouse for weapons is such a good combination that I can't play any game that won't support it. "SlicTrix"'s fix works by essentially disabling both turn and look up/down axes in the joystick, but I need to enable the turn axis, and bind it to the correct (rotation) axis on my joystick.

/*

I've done about everything I can think of to get Sin Episodes to work properly (as it doesn in HL2) with my Siatek Cyborg Evo joystick. No matter what I do:

The twist axis looks up and down and
The throttle position sets rotation speed. This makes movement essentially impossible.

This _should_ have something to do with
joy_advaxisr and
joy_advaxisz
but changing them has no effect.

I have a separate joystick.cfg which works perfectly in HL2, but not in SE.

When I go to the console in HL2 and say "exec joystick" I see some messages about how the various axes are being mapped.

When I do the same thing in SE, I don't see those messages (and in fact see a message to the effect that joy_response_move is unsupported).

It _looks_ like SE isn't paying any attention to the:

joy_advanced
joyadvancedupdate

stuff, which is where the axes are mapped. I can still control the sensitivity (gain) and threshold (deadband) numbers, so I know joystick.cfg is working...

Any thoughts? Any workarounds or fixes?

Thanks! It looks like a really great game, but I can't get out of the first room...

*/