Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Game 'locks' at 'Loading' screen (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17905)

MrFawlty 05-31-2006 11:44 AM

Game \'locks\' at \'Loading\' screen

Whenever I play the game, normally after 2 quick loads, on the third it goes to a black 'Loading' screen and just stays there indefinitely. I have left it of an hour once just to make sure. I can Alt-tab out to windows and close the program and re-open it but it will happen again at some point. It's not always the third attempt, that's just an average. When the game loads successfully, it runs fine with no stuttering except occassionally when a new level loads, but this is fairly normal in games.

My PC specs:
AMD Athlon64 3200 'Newcastle'
1024 DDR 400
160Gb S-ATA Samsung Spinpoint HDD
ATI Radeon X1900XT 512 Mb Graphics card
ASRock K8-SLI eSATA Motherboard

All latest drivers loaded.

No other Steam game has this problem.

Any ideas?

Parnic 05-31-2006 12:33 PM

Re: Game \'locks\' at \'Loading\' screen

Did you download the game through Steam or install from the retail DVD?

MrFawlty 05-31-2006 01:03 PM

Sorry, forgot to make that clear - through Steam.

I notice steam just uses compressed files - could I just extract the files using gcfscape? Would that make it run smoother?

Parnic 05-31-2006 01:27 PM

No, actually unpacking the files from the GCF would cause the game to run slower. I don't *think* the files are compressed in the gcf per se, just contained...but I could be wrong there. Anyway, the bonus to having a lot of files contained in one bigger file is that you are actually cutting down load times created by opening and closing lots of files.

Anyway, what I was going to suggest is to verify your game cache integrity. You can do this by right-clicking the game in Steam, going to properties, clicking "local files" tab, and pressing "verify integrity of game cache." See if this fixes your issue.

MrFawlty 06-01-2006 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info Parnic, that makes sense.

I have already verified the integrity of the game caches - I've just done it again to be sure and nothing was reported. I'll try it again...

Sarkie 06-01-2006 12:14 PM

Well from the FAQ

My stats or my saves are corrupted.

Fixed in Patch 1. Some people have said that they were getting either no stats or corrupt stats in game.

A couple of people have had their save games corrupted. We received copies of these corrupted save games and are investigating.

If you load again too quickly after a load (i.e. under five seconds), the game can report that your save game is corrupted, even though it isn't. Just wait ten seconds and try loading again.

It happens to me, it is because it is multi-threading and you are going to fast, if you use net_graph 3 your FPS will going really high, since it is not loading and stuff.

It happens with me, what i do is just wait and then reload.

Cheers

Adm_Ga4 06-03-2006 02:28 AM

I have this same problem. I have posted a while ago on this without any luck as ALL my save had become corrupt for some reason.

So today i decided to start playing again when i got the same problem, My quicksave had become corrupt. If i quickload it from inside a level the screen goes black as MRFawlty posted but if i load form the main menu it shows the loading bar for 5 seconds then returns to the main menu.

I just verified my local files for the game and no errors were found.

Any help on this problem would be great as this game is really getting on my nerves for not being able to load.

Parnic 06-03-2006 04:26 AM

Some people have fixed this issue by deleting the .tga files in the save directory. Example: SteamApps\parnic\sin episodes emergence\SE1\SAVE
If this doesn't work, you'll have to delete the offending saves altogether.We're sorry for the trouble

Adm_Ga4 06-04-2006 01:54 AM

I deleted the .tga files for my save but the problem still persists.
Theres no point in deleting the saves because then ill have to start again and ill just get the problem again. I already deleted my saves when i played the game before.

IAny method of PREVENTING this problem or a way that i can fix a corrupted save would be great but just deleting and starting a new game is pointless to me because then i will never get the game finished. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Parnic 06-04-2006 02:06 AM

There are only a few more things I can think of to help this problem. Are all of your savegames corrupt right now? The game should have your 2 most recent autosaves as well as the 2 most recent quicksaves and any full saves you may have done. Can you not load any of them?

Are you having the corrupted savegame issue in the same spot every time? Where exactly have your savegames gotten corrupted each time?

Unfortunately, since we cannot reproduce this issue in-house, we are unable to provide a consistent fix or remedy to this problem. If you would like to send a copy of your savegame in a short email to crashes [at] ritual [dot] com, we can maybe find a solution from it as to why it's happening. The email can contain either a link to this thread or just a small explanation of what's going on.

I'm sorry you've had this issue with the game and hopefully we can work it out promptly so you can complete it. As a precautionary measure, you may want to try verifying your game cache through steam as well.

MrFawlty 06-06-2006 06:40 PM

Well, I tried again and no joy. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but I got hooked on another game and have only just got back to trying this one. My problem is not with corrupt save games, just that it just halts when attempting to load ANY game, including Auto saves and quick saves. If I jump out back to windows and end the program using Task manager, I can reload it and then maybe the first 2 or 3 loads will work but then it will happen again. By the way, I'm re-loading so many times because where I am in the game is so DAMN HARD, I keep dying! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Just so you know, I build PCs for a living, so I'm confident it isn't my RAM and I have made sure all my drivers are up to date and installed correctly. In fact, since my last post, I have changed my graphics card driver to the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI (v 6.5) and have changed my CPU to an AMD Athlon64 3700.

MrFawlty 06-09-2006 12:10 PM

Is anyone there?

Sarkie 06-09-2006 12:30 PM

Have you sent the save games to the email provided?

Parnic 06-09-2006 12:48 PM

Aside from sending your savegames to our email address, there is nothing further I can do to help you with this problem at this time. We are releasing a patch as soon as we can with the latest version of the source engine that will most likely alleviate most or all outstanding issues with the game. The only other thing I can tell you at this point is to wait for that patch. Sorry you've had these problems with the game and we hope we can alleviate them shortly.

MrFawlty 06-12-2006 08:06 AM

OK, I'll wait for the patch. No, I haven't sent you my save games as I'm positive that I don't have corrupt save games as this has happened from the word go and when it does load, it plays fine.

here's hoping for a successful patch! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maniac 06-12-2006 04:41 PM

From what I read about savegame corruption the likely cause of it is a virus scan in real time mode interfering with the file as its being created. If you're running an antivirus, disable it while playing. You'll also see a dramtic performance increase.

-Maniac

Grandpapa 06-12-2006 07:32 PM

What he said, i had that issue myself with some virus scanners, when set to realtime scan.

MrFawlty 06-14-2006 08:24 PM

Woohoo! That did it! I didn't even consider that it might be my AV interfering. I'm using Kaspersky so all those with that just right-click the icon by the clock and choose 'pause Protection' - that way it's easy to re-enable it when you finish playing the game.

As it happens, I wasn't far from the end - I guess that's why it seemed so hard. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for everyone's help.

Sarkie 06-15-2006 05:16 AM

I'm sure there is a way to exclude that .exe from scanning or the folder, so you don't need to worry about it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]