Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fix For Joystick Spin Found (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18123)

SlicTrix 06-27-2006 08:52 PM

Fix For Joystick Spin Found

Heres your fix, goto

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\"slictrix"\sin episodes emergence\SE1\cfg

Where as "slictrix" is your name that you used when you first started the game.

Open that folder cfg and then open the file config.cfg with notepad and make sure "Always Open With is Unchecked" and look for these two lines

joy_pitchthreshold "0.15"
joy_yawthreshold "0.15"

Change them to this

joy_pitchthreshold "1.00"
joy_yawthreshold "1.00"

Then exit and save changes and load the game and all should work fine.

Hey Ritual need any help LOL

Michael_Russell 06-27-2006 08:54 PM

Re: Fix For Joystick Spin Found

I'm glad that worked for your joystick. It sounds like "center" wasn't quite "centered" on that stick.

Does this work for anyone else?

Michael_Russell 06-27-2006 11:35 PM

We tried seven different sticks without getting a repro. The eighth stick did repro until we calibrated the stick.

We had no intention of giving joystick users the shaft. The settings that we used were the default joystick deadzone settings recommended by Microsoft.

That said, we focused the majority of our testing efforts on the control scheme that would be used by 99.99% of our customer base. Sales of PC joysticks are at a record low right now, partly because of the dearth of flight simulator and related titles for the PC, partly because the Microsoft Common Controller has been known to be coming for some time and controller manufacturers are trying to determine what to do going forward. DirectInput is effectively deprecated in favor of XInput, which is pretty much a wrapper for the Xbox 360 Controller. XInput has no support whatsoever for older DirectInput devices like joysticks. Even with the testing we did do on joysticks and gamepads, there is no way that we could test every possible DirectInput-compatible input device.

For DirectInput, all you had to do is report yourself as a joystick and you were good. There was no quality standard (dead zone, float, etc.) To be an XInput device, you have to comply with at least a base quality standard (stick stays inside a dead zone by default, etc.)

So my question would be this: Before editing your second post, you had admitted that your stick wasn't exactly centered.

Your fix does nothing to address the centering of the stick. It just grows the deadzone to the point where the off-centering doesn't matter.

Are you saying that we should grow the deadzone to accomodate people with substandard equipment at the risk of causing a less-than-ideal experience for people who have properly calibrated joysticks?

frankster 06-28-2006 03:00 AM

come on mike russell give the man some credit ,he did what you guys couldn't or wouldn't do .
and you where relying on what microsoft told you ,,lame of you, it is your game.
even i knew the prob was in joy sinsitivity ,and i never even played with programing in my life.
i have been using a joystick since doom 2 . don't have to touch the keyboard. when i shoot an enemy i am pulling a trigger not tapping a mouse button.
I aim with the mouse and strafe left and right with it ,all other functions are covered with the joystick. Firing, jumping, ducking, moving forward and backward etc.
sometimes i have to use the program "joytokey" for games that dont support joystick ,still i prefer not to use it .
anyway .

thank you so much slick ,i give you credit if mike is to difensive too .

SlicTrix 06-28-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankster
come on mike russell give the man some credit ,he did what you guys couldn't or wouldn't do .
and you where relying on what microsoft told you ,,lame of you, it is your game.
even i knew the prob was in joy sinsitivity ,and i never even played with programing in my life.
i have been using a joystick since doom 2 . don't have to touch the keyboard. when i shoot an enemy i am pulling a trigger not tapping a mouse button.
I aim with the mouse and strafe left and right with it ,all other functions are covered with the joystick. Firing, jumping, ducking, moving forward and backward etc.
sometimes i have to use the program "joytokey" for games that dont support joystick ,still i prefer not to use it .
anyway .

thank you so much slick ,i give you credit if mike is to difensive too .

Thx man, you know what it is and what it's about

badman 06-28-2006 05:48 AM

Completely unrelated to sticks of joy, there's a convenient edit button on your posts, so you don't have to have to add a new post when you think of something new 5 minutes after posting the first message. Just click the edit button on your last post next time and amend the thing.