Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Tech Help (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   6x FSAA? (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18144)

GeneralEgo 06-29-2006 02:14 PM

6x FSAA?

I usually hate creating threads in fear I could have missed information while searching, but I couldn't find anything about this elsewhere, so here goes:

Is there any way to play Emergence with 6x FSAA? The game apparently ignores whatever I set in my video driver (Radeon 9800XT with Catalyst 6.2), and the ingame option only goes as far as 4x (unlike HL2 where the 6x option also appears)...

Sarkie 06-29-2006 02:38 PM

Re: 6x FSAA?

Odd, well I guess when they merge to the latest Source engine, this may be fixed. :)

Zach 06-30-2006 03:45 AM

6x FSAA on a 9800XT?!? What are you playing at? 640x480? :eek: You know, you'll actually get less jaggies (perceptually anyway) just going with a lower AA setting (2x for example) and a higher resolution. Heck, @ 1600x1200, you don't even need AA. :cool:

GeneralEgo 06-30-2006 05:51 AM

actually, no

I'm playing at my TFT's native resolution of 1280x1024 and Source games run flawlessly even with 6xFSAA - I might not get 60fps but it's still very playable (the 9800XT isn't THAT old and we're not talking about FEAR or a similarly demanding game engine here).

So, you see, besides the fact that there's no way to increase the resolution on my monitor, jaggies don't go away with higher resolutions - actually I think they're more noticeable in games that look otherwise crisp and high-res as opposed to games in lower resolutions which already look a bit blocky. In fact, I rather decrease the resolution to get the performance to set at least 2x FSAA in demanding games than vice versa

Nevertheless, my question isn't how to make my game look better, I know how I want it to look, now I just need SiN Episodes to let me set 6x FSAA - I can decide myself if the game runs well enough for this, aight? ;)

Michael_Russell 06-30-2006 10:15 AM

There was a glitch in the version of the Source engine we initially received where turning on 6x FSAA would completely disable FSAA for some reason.

While the glitch is fixed in the merged codebase, there are numerous other issues that need to be fixed in that codebase before we can patch everyone up to the newest code.

GeneralEgo 06-30-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Russell
There was a glitch in the version of the Source engine we initially received where turning on 6x FSAA would completely disable FSAA for some reason.

While the glitch is fixed in the merged codebase, there are numerous other issues that need to be fixed in that codebase before we can patch everyone up to the newest code.

thanks for the info, I can wait for that, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything ;)