Ritualistic Forums

Ritualistic Forums (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/index.php)
-   SiN Episodes Editing (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help With Lights (http://www.ritualistic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18464)

Xenogenetic 08-21-2006 03:57 PM

Help With Lights

My light_enviroment doesn't seem to be working properly. I looked at what happened during the compile and I found this:

Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
Warning: Couldn't open texlight file c:\program files\steam\steamapps\NOTMYEMAILADDRESS\sinepisode ssdk\bin\lights.rad.

I am not that good with compilers, does anyone know how I can fix this?

Sarkie 08-21-2006 04:00 PM

Re: Help With Lights

not give everyone your email :) edit it. or remove.

Xenogenetic 08-21-2006 04:01 PM

That email died 2 years ago when we switched providers but I will change it anyway.

CommanderZx2 08-21-2006 04:53 PM

I don't think you need the lights.rad for light_enviroment to work, because sin episodes doesn't have one.

The only use I've ever found for lights.rad is for textured lighting, that's when you make a texture on a brush create light instead of using an entity.

If you really want a lights.rad file just create one or copy one from half-life 2, as far as I can tell it's just a text document with settings for textured lighting.

You should be able to find one in
root:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\emailaddress\half-life 2\hl2

Xenogenetic 08-21-2006 05:04 PM

If that is what lights.rad is for, then do you have any idea why my light_enviroment isn't working? I tried it by itself, then in a skybox, then in a skybox that is detachted from the map (like in the arena_office.vmf). None of those work.

Other light entities work, I am only having trouble with light_enviroment.

Shallow 08-21-2006 05:15 PM

I had this a couple of weeks back and I can't remember with absolute certainty what the problem was in the end. However I think it might have been because it was a test map that wasn't properly sealed (i.e. was leaking), and I guess that light from a light_environment can't be baked onto a leaked map, although point lights etc. can.

Of course if your map isn't leaking you can discount this straight off.

CommanderZx2 08-21-2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenogenetic
If that is what lights.rad is for, then do you have any idea why my light_enviroment isn't working? I tried it by itself, then in a skybox, then in a skybox that is detachted from the map (like in the arena_office.vmf). None of those work.

Other light entities work, I am only having trouble with light_enviroment.

The light_enviroment casts light from the skybox into your map. Thus the skybox would have to be around or over your map for it to cast light into into your map. Oh and the skybox won't work if the brush isn't entirely covered in the tools/toolsskybox texture.

Xenogenetic 08-21-2006 06:31 PM

Ya, I tried that. There is no skybox visible from inside my map at this point because it is a sewers/underground theme. And no, there are no leaks in my map.

CommanderZx2 08-21-2006 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenogenetic
Ya, I tried that. There is no skybox visible from inside my map at this point because it is a sewers/underground theme. And no, there are no leaks in my map.

If there is no visible skybox from inside your map then the light_enviroment won't light your map at all.

You'll have to use different entity lights or textured lighting.

Xenogenetic 08-21-2006 07:03 PM

:O time to add a hole in the sky