View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
Castle
Level Designer

Default Re: new abilities for players + other suggestions

Woah I saw this post here ages ago but I never had a chance to respond to it because its sooooo huge! Hehehe
Keep in mind that even though I donít mind reading huge posts or chatting with people on the forum it is time that I could be spending doing level design instead! =P
Also keep in mind that Iím speaking for myself not all of Ritual or anyone else.

Anyway I think ill respond
#1 (keep in mind that Iím speaking for myself not all of Ritual or anyone else.)
Half life already has the ability to break windows when you run into them and such. In fact all these things you mention can be done or faked already. We donít need to make changes for this you already have them!

#2 (keep in mind that Iím speaking for myself not all of Ritual or anyone else.)
This is similar to the jump kick you can do in the action mods. What it allows you to do is hit some one for like 30 damage and knock them back a good 50 units away and yes off the roof of a building. Itís a cool idea however I could imagine it being criticized for stealing from the action community. And I donít think that jump kicking or pushing fits in the CS universe at all. It also feels really strange when you are hit and suddenly knocked off a ledge. Most of the time you donít even know what happened and you suddenly end up falling to your death. I find it frustrating most of the time. Its one of those ideas that I feel is cool sounding but after itís added all people do as soon as the match starts is kicking other players around while they attempt to buy stuff. How would you like it if you got kicked out of a buy zone by your own team mate? Also as you may know something like this would change a great deal of the core mechanics of CS and that is a bad idea in and of itself imo.

#3 (keep in mind that Iím speaking for myself not all of Ritual or anyone else.)
I like the idea of looking around corners quite a bit. Iíve have played stealth based games in the past and being able to peek around a corner always helped me so much, Though on the other hand itís not something that you can do in CS. Itís a tough call and my guess is that it wonít ever be added. In my opinion itís hard to work in these types of features so late in a projects development. It may seem like a small change however it changes the flow of game play considerably.

Im going to skip around a bit now

Cooperative mode? (keep in mind that Iím speaking for myself not all of Ritual or anyone else.)
Itís a pretty tough thing to add to an engine that is designed to have fairly small levels. Each map in half life is pretty small. Have you ever played Sven(sp?) coop before in half life? To me it was the most frustrating thing in the world because every time a guy turned a corner we would all end up level loading and god forbid we had a guy on the server who walked backwards and loaded the old level and we all had to then go back to the next level again. However than you can go and say ďWell lets make bigger levelsĒ Then you end up with maps that donít run very well and take ages to compile and you needed a cable modem to play because larger numbers of monsters took so much more bandwidth. There are too many hurdles to overcome to create a really good not frustrating coop experience on this engine. It just doesnít seem like a feasible option. Not to me anyway.

Damn
This post is HUGE.
Anyway I thought I would respond on at least some of this stuff. I donít mean to shoot your ideas down or anything. Most people wouldnít even bother to respond I imagine. So I thought I would post feedback at least what I ALONE feel about some of these ideas and maybe explain why or why not they would be added.
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote