View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 02:20 AM   #18
Castle
Level Designer

Default Re: Hi All, Some suggestions for CS:CZ

AH yes
I didnít have a chance to respond to this post for awhile.
There are some huge freakin posts going these days. Maybe we should copy them and put them together and sell it as a book titled ďwhat we do in our spare timeĒ

Early on I found that complex multi layered layouts could some times agitate players to a point that they might start trash talking the level designer. Simple is the way to go for Defuse maps. Since I came from the quake 3 engine based tech in level design I constantly found myself accidentally adding too much at first. Then I would go back and take things out again later. Iím getting more into the groove now though.

I knew that if people had a certain type of sound card they could hear farther than most people in CS but I never knew that the foot step sounds would stay the same on multi floored layouts, though I already shunned the idea of doing huge multi floored layouts for other reasons. When I see levels like Italy and Dust I tend to think that is more along the lines of what people actually want to play and all though those levels have a small bit of over under fighting they are primarily flat. Thatís the style I enjoy most myself.

You have a good point about the balancing of the levels though. I never did think about that. The only way to ever create a truly even level though is to make it symmetrical similar to the style of many quake CTF levels. I donít see how you could pull that off exactly in CS though considering CTs and TS both have different objectives AND weapons. So yeah come to think about it there arenít a whole lot of even CS maps out there. Breaking down CS I seem to quickly find that itís almost a mystery on how they ďbalancedĒ the game at all. When I play I always feel like itís a fair game so I imagine the work that went into making CS fun to play must have been by some very astute and dedicated individuals. The mod community is truly a dynamic force in modern gaming.

When it comes to hostage rescue levels I tend to see more complex layouts when compared to your basic defuse maps. Hostage Rescue seems to be more about allowing CTS to have lots of choices. The trick seems to be in balancing as many of those choices against what a skilled group of TS will be able to defend against effectively. One thing that I noted about cs_italy is that the number of choices the CTS can make steadily drops as they close in on the radius of the house. There might be about 4 ways to reach the house but youíre only left with the front door and possibly a window to choose between when you get there.

VIP levels puzzle me right now. Iím currently unhappy with tundra and oilrig to examine as examples of what a good VIP level should have. Either maps seem to have anything at all in common with each other. To me that might imply that no one has ever actually tapped into the full potential of the VIP game mode. All hostage levels have 4 hostages and all defuse levels have 2 bomb sites however I fail to see why tundra has 2 rescue zones rather than one rescue zone like oil rig. Both of these levels are more confusing and winding than anything I have seen in CS. Perhaps I need to look elsewhere to find out what really makes this mode function.

Anyway to end this GIANT DAMN POST
I would like to know if there are any truly hardcore mapping forums for CS maps where most of the people who post there have released a few good maps that people have played. Either that or maybe you could bring some people here. If I have time ill even check out peoples beta maps and stuff over the weekends if the screen shots look cool enough. It could be like the counter strike equivalent of the quake 3 world forums. I value that kind of feedback because it is what has got me to where I am today.
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote