View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
DrWoo McM
Fanboy

Default Re: Censorship in the Steam version of SiN?

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega1:
I recently pre-ordered the new SiN episode on Steam and I was quite surprised to find out that the original version of the game would come with it. Even though I already have the original game installed, I was led to believe that apparantly this version was improved in some way, and if for no other reason than out of curiousity I wanted to play it on Steam.

However, it didn't take long for me to notice that artwork for one of the new characters introduced in the new SiN episode was added in a few places. I was wondering, aside from playfully plugging the new game, why this was done? A quick Google search led me to here and I read that this was apparantly due to rights issues with content in the original game. I was fairly intruiged by this and I started to poke around through the Steam gcf file's contents to see what differed from the original sin/pak file.

First I checked for the infamous nude Elexis located in the folder-x file. It's missing entirely in the Steam version. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Okay, at this point I thought stuff was just edited, not removed entirely, but I guess removing the nude skin is somewhat understandable.

Then just for kicks, since I was checking the skin files under the pl_Elexis folder, I compared the Steam skins to the originals. In the damaged versions of her skin in the original game, one of her nipples was exposed. I always thought this was quite funny to see in multiplayer. However, in the Steam version of the game, all the damaged versions of Elexis's skins have been edited to remove the nipple. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] wtf? Surely this has nothing to do with rights issues; why change it?

Out of desperation, I checked the texture for the female civilian. Her damaged texture shows a partial, partial, nip-slip that would probably get away in a PG film. It's there in the original game of course, but oddly, when I tried shooting the female civilian in the Steam version, her damaged textures becomes all messed up. Why is it messed up? Because, checking the tga skin file in the gcf, it was apparantly improperly saved for the correct format when it was edited. And how was it edited? The nip-slip was removed! Obviously this was not just a simple accident. For some reason someone deliberately went through every skin file and censored every slight hint of nudity.

This is nothing more than blatant censoring, and I don't see any reason for it. This is almost as bad as going through history books and erasing any mention of the Holocaust to deny it ever happened. Why was it done? What is it good for? Is this really just a sad reflection of our time and the fear of including any racy content in clearly aimed-toward-adult games?

Here are two comparison pictures. Hopefully which one is the censored one is obvious:

That's lame. Come on.. It's not like these are Photo-realistic images in the game. Geez!!!!!
DrWoo McM is offline   Reply With Quote