View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
lightspeed
Rookie

Default Re: \"Memory could not be \'read\' crash\"

I get these "Memory could not read" crashes as well. I wasn't too bothered originally, because the crash only affected the game and I could just start it up again and load the latest save point. But now that I'm playing on HardCORPS it is more annoying since I have to start the game again from scratch whenever it crashes!

I only ever see these errors when the game is at a load point (I mean loading between map sections, not when loading from a saved game). And it appears to be random. Seems to crash roughly 1 out of every 10 times I go through a load point.

EDIT: Actually that is not true, 1 or 2 times it has crashed somewhere other than a load point.

If it helps, I checked the resulting errors in my Windows Event Logs, and the instruction address is always the same, and the address of the referenced memory that could not be read is (almost) always the same. This is the error message:

Application popup: SiN Episodes: SinEpisodes.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x24007107" referenced memory at "0x00ff3d60". The memory could not be "read".

I've got 10 occurrences of that in my event logs. And only one instance where there was a different memory address, as below:

Application popup: SiN Episodes: sinepisodes.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x24007107" referenced memory at "0x01853d60". The memory could not be "read".

Does that mean I have bad memory? I will try running memtest in a minute...

I've put my DxDiag.txt here:

DxDiag.txt

Is this a problem with physical memory or the paging file, or in fact a problem with the game? Is it worth trying to underclock my memory? (Note that nothing on the system is overclocked).

I already play with all settings on minimum to try to stress the system as little as possible (although having said that it still goes below 20 fps in some places). Don't know if that is to be expected or not. The machine is an Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB RAM, nVidia 6800GT 128 MB, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

At the moment I feel there is little point attempting HardCORPS any more until I get this fixed. The game's crashes now come more frequently than my deaths.

I'll send in my crash dumps as well.
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote