View Single Post
Old 08-13-2000, 07:38 PM   #2
Foo
Fanatic

Default Re: 1st person Vs 3rd person

I have the same views; I dislike 3rd person due to the lack of control and finesse I have with FPS games.

But if you look at it, do you really want people to have FPS control/finesse in an adventure game? They're not supposed to go robotically through the levels fragging this way and that, taking the exact same path right down to the millimetre, and having surgical aim hitting baddies between the eyes (ohh I love SiN).

This is where the issue of multiplayer comes up. You sort of need the FPS functionality in-order to be competitive and have the highest performance.

With 3rd-person, there's lots of fiddling about, even with hardcores of 3rd-person.
That doesn't mean 3rd-person MP wouldn't work.

Now if a 3rd-person game is more enjoyable in other aspects such as visuals, humour, story... than people don't notice the lack of control and measily multiplayer. Most people anyways.

Take MDK2 for example. Even though it's 3rd person, I found it to be one of the top 3 SP games I have ever played, and I've been playing games for about 10 years, console and PC. Why? Because it actually made me say "WHOA" out loud... and laugh. Some scenes I couldn't believe they made... I mean like the sky diving at the beginning... and the space-vacuum/magnet-feet with the Dr. Plus huge bosses... imagine fighting something as big as a sports stadium. I would probably feel the same way about FAKK2 if I could play it at 60 and not 5 FPS.

MDK2 isn't cluttered either... a newbie could understand the HUD... and there isn't much to killing things except pointing in their general direction.

The game was riddled with humour, and it did it without resorting to sexual innuendo. Very clean in that respect, but there was no need for it.

Ritual probably wanted to do 2 things with this game:

-make money (for making more games!)
-push the field

They have succeeded. Let Q3, UT, TRIBES2, TF2 push multiplayer... there's enough competition there already.

------------------
urbanwarfare.com

[This message has been edited by Foo (edited August 13, 2000).]
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote