View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
BishopGantry
Regular

Default Re: I think Sin II is a remake of Sin, this is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onden View Post
Man I wish I would have been right about this. Some of this I've said elsewhere, so forgive me if you're reading it twice, but I wanted to collect my thoughts on this.

I really like the Sin universe and Sin's story, but Sin is not a great game even accounting for time. The beginning is great, as area few of the levels in the middle. Howevr, the latter third of the game drags like heck; at some point the game ceases to be fun. I hate to see a promissing IP used in a flawed executaion.

I think a big part of Sin Episode 1's lackluster sales was due to the fact that it was a sequel to an 8 year old game that was never really popular to begin with. It's hard to get people to buy into sequels when they never played the original.

By starting fresh with a re-imagining of Sin Ritual would have had so much room to play. As said above they could have detailed the rise of U4 and Elexis, they could flesh so much more of the story out and drastically change it if they wish. There's no need to retain any semblance to the original Sin, just as Doom 3 is only tenuosly related to the older Dooms.

As is, with Sin Episodes being a sequel, they're tied to a backstory that no one knows unless they play a (now) poor game. They're limiting their playerbase and they're constricted in what they do moving forward by the previously established story.

Dangit Ritual, why couldn't you give us the Sin that we and maybe even you always wanted instead of a middling sequel to an old, flawed game?

You wish you where right about what?

I dont really see that since you are willing to compromise the entire story, consistency and background of Sin, I dont see how you could like Sin's storytelling since you want it reimagined from scratch only keeping vague refferences to Sin, Blade, Elexis and U4, your better of with an entierly new game not based on Sinverse...

Getting 2/3's of a game right isnt to shabby, most games today cant even achive 1/3 right.

SinE has no multiplayer, only has 4 weapons, risky episodic content and had to go up against the highly anticipated HL2 Episode1 wich was released roughly on the same time as SinE was, and Valve could and did hype HL2 Ep1 over Steam and could do so better than Ritual could.

And if they are not going to keep anything and reimagine Sin, they might aswell abandon Sin and make an entierly diffrent game not named Sin? Quite puzzling reasoning Id say. It would simply no longer be Sin.
Doom3, ID could have simply called Gloom, Broom, Room or whatever.

Ritual could add in snippets of background stories and they would have a perfect medium to distribute it JC and Blade bantering, that if Blade would stop taking speech classes from Gordon Freeman that is.

Id say "No multiplayer" has a greater effect on limiting the playerbase over following a previosly already established storyline that can easily be retold using JC's and Blade's friendship. If anything Ritual should have used more elements and content from original Sin...

To me it sounds like you want a game that isnt Sin and thusly wouldnt need to be named Sin at all.

Its discouraging to see so much missing from SinE that made original Sin stand out so much as it did and still does and that the games deviate so much in apperance and gameplay...

--------------------
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote