View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
7o'nine
Fanboy

Default Re: All models have suddenly turned black ??? help :)

Really? I'll have to check that out [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
But, it also depends on the radius of the light. If the player is not within the radius of the light (which has NO_ENTS unchecked) they will not be affected by it.
Try this:
Type "r_light_lines 1" in the console, this will draw a line to the light that is affecting the player/model (the line will also be coloured to the same colour as the light). Set to 0 to turn it off.
Similarly, type "r_light_sun_line 1" to show any sun-lights that are affecting the models (which will only show when you're out in the open under the sky).

You can also put third person on (cg_3rd_person 1) to better see the effect of the light on the character model.

As you walk around with those two commands set to 1, you'll see the various lines connecting to you and shading the model.
So I don't know how many lights it will take before you'll start seeing slowdowns.. but I'm sure it can't be a big number..

[edit]
I should also probably note something I saw with this a long time ago.
While in dev mode I set the light_lines to 1 while checking out a map I was making. Right after that I jumped into a server to play a game (which was set to pure) and found that the light lines were still showing while playing online. (i.e. all the people in the servers had lines connected ot them from the lights) This was ofcourse because I didn't turn it off, but I guess it can be used a bit as a cheat online to see where people are.
[/edit]

[edit2]
Here's the post by BirdDawg that I read before [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
http://www.ritualistic.com//forums/s...=149688#149801
[/edit2]

7o'nine is offline   Reply With Quote