Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 08-27-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
kevin442
Fanboy

Default looks like hl2 is preloading

it seems hl2 is preloading onto steam. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] could this mean that it will be going gold within the coming weeks?

http://www.gamershell.com/news/14875.html

kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
Automator
Veteran

Default Re: looks like hl2 is preloading

too busy for me, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Valve has really been smart about the whole thing. I remember thinking, why would I buy hl2 online and wait to download the whole thing with a bunch of other guys hogging bandwidth when i can buy it in the store and just install it. It is cool how they're doing it, now lets see what the price difference will be.

I think I'm gonna but it in a store and just punch in the cdkey into steam. That way I can see how it all works out over steam and if something crazy happens to either steam or i lose internet without logging in before or whatever i have a hard copy i can run. Good news though, hopefully it comes out sometime soon!
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
BrushBaron
Level Designer

I am one of those old farts that likes have a box on my shelves to add to my collection of games. I like the online distribution of games but I think it's better for smaller games. 2 gigs or whatever HL2 will be is a lot of data to keep on your computer and not have any CD back-up of. I always worry my net connection might go out and then I'm screwed.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
Automator
Veteran

yeah same here, when my brother got condition zero he just entered the cd key in steam and voila! cz is unlocked. he hasnt opened the cds yet, but he gets the box to put on his shelves and a hard copy in case something happens with steam.

I want to support valve and this is a good idea, it makes them independent and it's awesome. But its hard to just buy it online. If they really made bank they could distribute it themselves, that would be nuts.
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
kevin442
Fanboy

you know you can play hl2 sp offline through steam brush [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

plus steam makes a backup of all your games on your account so if u do lose your internet connection or your hd goes to hell all you will need to do is redownload steam and use your account to get back in the action
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #6
Xenogenetic
Addict

I like the good ol fashioned box {([ i want one with the G-man on the cover])} plus the box has pictures. But that is awsomeroxor and might hopefully mean HL2 is comin soon
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Davido
Veteran

W00T! Box all the way just so I can go:

"I've got a whole case full of games and CDs!!!!!!!"

Plus you would never be able to give the game to a friend and go :P Or blow the hell out of them on a small LAN thing.
Davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
HmmBrd
Regular

Send a message via MSN to HmmBrd

I agree with BrushBaron that having a cd is OK in case of some screw up with the internet provider. Especially I and other 56kers downloading the game can take more than a few days.
HmmBrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 AM   #9
Kalabalana
Veteran

the stupidest mistake valve is making is not giving a discount to those who buy the softcopy.

moronic actually, valve's profit margin is at least doubled on every online purchase
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:35 AM   #10
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

They don't necessarily make twice as much money on a copy sold via Steam, since they have to pay for the whole Steam infrastructure (servers, bandwidth, programmers etc). I do agree that games should be at least somewhat cheaper on there though.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote