Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Editing

Old 05-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
SplitSoul
Rookie

Default Installing skins.

I'm curious, how do I utilize skins once I've edited them? I tried placing the .vtf and .vmt files in the "materials" folder with the same folder structure found in the GCF, as was the proper procedure with HL2 skins, but it's not showing up in-game. What am I doing wrong?
SplitSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Default Re: Installing skins.

Would that happen to be a nude skin perhaps ? :P Well because she still has a bikini over the skin when in the dream scene therefore you wouldn't see it anyways.

If not, it's either not in the right directory or something's wrong with it.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
SplitSoul
Rookie

It's just a recolour to test things out. It's in the right folder and it's not working. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Hmm, what are you trying to recolour? I'll give it a go as well to see if I can get it to work.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
SplitSoul
Rookie

I just changed the colour of Jessica's suit to see if it would work at all, but the game is still using the one in the GCF. I've matched the folder structure right down to capitalization to see if it would make a difference.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
wng
Casual

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitSoul:
I'm curious, how do I utilize skins once I've edited them? I tried placing the .vtf and .vmt files in the "materials" folder with the same folder structure found in the GCF, as was the proper procedure with HL2 skins, but it's not showing up in-game. What am I doing wrong?
afaik, you have to make a separate mod using the Source SDK, set up the gameinfo.txt file in the mod folder to use SteamAppId 1300 instead of 220 or whatever it is, change the Game value from hl2 to SE1, save the file, put your textures in the directory structure you used in the original SE1 folder (materials/models/characters/*model name*). then launch the mod and you should see the changes. I had some troubles getting the mod to work without crashing before the main menu in the game, though. I solved that by moving everything in the mod directory to some other place, only leaving the gameinfo.txt file and the materials folder there.
wng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
SplitSoul
Rookie

Does the mod go in "sin episodes emergence\SE1\mods" or "SourceMods"? And how do I launch it from there?

Also, in GameInfo.txt, do I need to put anything in place of "|gameinfo_path|."?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
wng
Casual

the mod goes in SourceMods. when you've created the mod using the Source SDK, the mod will automatically pop up in your "My Games" list. Nah, leave "|gameinfo_path|" alone.
wng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
SplitSoul
Rookie

Finally got it working. Thanks a lot. Too bad I have to start a new game, though.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #10
gothcelt
Rookie

Just a snippet - I found that once you have a skin mod running, I just plonk any future skins in that folder, and they work fine. I started with an Elexis mod, and now I'm fiddling with jessica, using the same folder.
gothcelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Catsimboy

Are you talking about the "Skip intro cutscene" option being disabled? Just copy your .cfg from SiN:Ep1 to the mod and it will take all your controls and info about if you completed the game.
Catsimboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
putorican

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitSoul:
Finally got it working. Thanks a lot. Too bad I have to start a new game, though.
any way you could post how you got them to work and wich directories they go under?
putorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Omega1
Regular

I'm having the same problem with my custom skins. I know the material paths I'm using are correct because I tested skin in HL2's model viewer; it's just not appearing ingame.

I thought perhaps custom content had been disabled, like Valve has done with their version of Blue Shift on Steam. However, out of curiousity I tried using some custom sounds in SiN: Emergence and they worked. So custom sounds work, but custom skins will not for some reason. If I had some custom models I would like to see if those would work too.

Anyway, I think Ritual has to enable/disable some setting to allow us to use custom materials.
Omega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
SplitSoul
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega1:
Anyway, I think Ritual has to enable/disable some setting to allow us to use custom materials.
I doubt it. Somebody already got a skin into the game.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:29 AM   #15
Omega1
Regular

I'd sure like to see it, then. Where might this skin be found?
Omega1 is offline   Reply With Quote