Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
zichzich

Default Blade\'s \"Skateboard\" movement makes Sin unplayable

Okay I've never had this in FPSs before, and not in Half Life 2 either. Why does it feel like Blade is slipping on ice whenever I try to move? This makes the game totally unplayable and my normal (not so) l33t dodging skills impossible to pull off. I've tried different graphics settings (lower/higher res, AA, filtering etc), with no change at all. This is running on a 6800GS so my PC is NOT underpowered!
zichzich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default Re: Blade\'s \"Skateboard\" movement makes Sin unplayable

Is there any particular surface where he seems to be "skating" more than another? Blade does move faster than protagonists in other games...
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

You can also try turing off "Always Run" in the advanced keyboard options menu.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Maniac
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Maniac

Upgrade your mouse drivers and turn off mouse smoothing.

-Maniac
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
zichzich

Default Re: Blade\'s \"Skateboard\" movement makes Sin unplay

Thanks for the replies... Michael, it seems to happen totally at random, and often. For example, I can tap the left or right strafe key and Blade will just glide for 3 or 4 seconds before I "regain" control of him. On quite a few occasions I've been making regular movement changes across one surface, and Blade will just glide sometimes. Erratic is the word here!

I haven't had this problem in ANY other game. Also, Maniac, it isn't the mouse aiming that is the problem, it is the _character_ movement.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Quote:
Originally posted by zichzich:
Thanks for the replies... Michael, it seems to happen totally at random, and often. For example, I can tap the left or right strafe key and Blade will just glide for 3 or 4 seconds before I "regain" control of him. On quite a few occasions I've been making regular movement changes across one surface, and Blade will just glide sometimes. Erratic is the word here!

I haven't had this problem in ANY other game. Also, Maniac, it isn't the mouse aiming that is the problem, it is the _character_ movement.
Are you having framerate hitches as well, or just the movement issue?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
zichzich

Michael, I don't believe so. I'm playing at 1440x900, and it's not quite as smooth as, say 1280xetc res's but I certainly don't get anything like frame rate "glitching".

Running Sin in Win98 compatibility mode brings up the message "HL2 Demo cannot play mods". :P So scrap that idea.

Edit: After a little more playing, I have to take back a previous comment: the movement "ice-skates" ALL the time, but Blade moving in one direction, out of control, only happens occasionally.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Have you tried turning off "Always Run"?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
Maniac
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Maniac

I've seen the problem in early builds of the source engine. I had the same problem you did playing "Vampire Bloodlines" but for HL2 and past the problem was fixed.

If you want to know what did it for me, I ran the game in win 98 comptatibility mode.

-Maniac
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
BioWeapon

I have this same problem. It was only after I downloaded the patch. It's not just with movement. It's like the keys are getting stuck, except they're not physically stuck. When I'm firing for instance, sometimes it won't stop shooting and I'll waste an entire magazine. My view also gets stuck in one direction for a moment or I'll move in a direction. It's just REALLY glitchy.
BioWeapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
MogWaEE

I am experienceing the exact same problem: ever since the game was patched, my keys seem to stick, and also my mouse... the game is unplayable for me now.
MogWaEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Hollow_Man
Casual

I now at least once, when I started CS: Source, I would have this sort of behavior. I would press a key, it would take a smidge before I would start to move, and when I let go of the key, I would continue to move for that extra smidge. A reboot of PC/restart of Steam solved the problem.

I would make absolutely sure that there are no weird programs running that are taking up valuable CPU cycles.

-HM
Hollow_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
rtpHarry

Yes me too... I have a 6800gt, the game is not freezing as other elements of the game still move normally but it seems to be both my inputs (keyboard and mouse) that get stuck.

Sometimes it will keep moving forwards in a certain direction (a keyboard press) and sometimes it will keep shooting (a mouse press) and in during the lockup further mouse and keyboard does nothing, but the baddies carry on shooting me.

I am on a ps2 keyboard (only realised this when i swapped out the keyboard to test a different one) and a microsoft intellimouse usb (tried two of those as well) but it seems as im not the only person it wont be the actual input devices at fault.

I dont run xfire, and I always close down any programs that could cause spikes in my system such as torrents or whatnot. Im running avast antivirus which is still running in the background.

Also only exprienced this since the patch was released, and its now totally unplayable.. is there a way to remove the patch because i wasn't even having any problems before this! :P

I dont know if its because I'm just sensitive to it now that i cant play sin but I also play DoD source a hell of a lot and i am noticing a very minor version of this bug in that. It only happens for a very short time compared to sin, and the game is still quite playable. Its more like a hiccup, I'll swing the mouse round to shoot somebody and it doesnt respond but a second flick of the mouse (if im not dead) will work. I havent tested any other source engine games (unless shadowgrounds demo is source engine in which case it runs fine).

Also I like the description of the bug lol, i was having trouble explaining it to my friends who dont have it happening to them, but skateboarding is very accurate!
rtpHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #14
Parnic
Programmer, Gearbox Software

Can you guys add "-mode2" to your game's shortcut either in steam or on the shortcut you made for the game?
Parnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
rtpHarry

i just tried it and i thought you had fixed it! I started at the bottom of sintek towers where i was when the game started bugging out, and loaded the game up and got to play most of the way through the carpark when i *ahem* got killed :P

after i started the level again it was back to normal stutters so i thought that maybe this mode2 status was being reset so i restarted the game and the jitters are back.

one thing i noticed was that my audio was crackly, and i have a ac97 onboard sound card so i check the audio menu and quality was on high. i hadn't changed any settings in this screen, i dont know if mode2 alters this but i put that down to medium audio quality and the sound stopped crackling.

seconds later i died for the first time as listed above, so thinking it was that i turned it back up to high quality audio but the input jitters continued.

one combo i havent tried is starting the game from already being on high quality audio mode with -mode2 enabled... i'll give it a quick whirl now.. you could have told me what mode2 actually was because im probably wasting my time right now :P

nope still sticks and same if i start a game from the beginning

i wonder why it worked for a whole life's worth now sticks like crazy?!
rtpHarry is offline   Reply With Quote