Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 07-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
MightyDingus

Default Installation from CD

I bought SiN Episodes: Emergence and went to install it from the CD. It tells me that Steam is already installed (I have Half Life 2) and I have to uninstall it to install SiN. I've already put the CD key into Steam and it's downloading the program.

Why do I have to wait several hours to download a program I have on CD? The updates I can understand, but the entire program? How do I install from CD without deleting my current Steam installation? Why am I forced to download the program if I already have Steam installed?
MightyDingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
djdoe
Casual

Default Re: Installation from CD

ok you didn't need to uninstall steam, just need to skip it, I don't know if you have done it this way, but install the game first then enter the cd key, steam will then download additional files and possible unlock game, let it finish, then you are ready to play. After you have done this there is no more waiting, except if there's patches.
djdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Sarkie
Community Moderator

Hi there MightyDingus, this is a known bug with the installation program, if I'd programmed it this wouldn't have happened

Anyway, close Steam down, go to your DVD drive, and look for some files called sin*.gcf now copy these to

C:\program files\steam\steamapps (default location)

then load up Steam it will probably download the Arena mode but not the full game, enjoy

--------------------
Sarkie
http://sarkies.blogspot.com/
Sarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
MightyDingus

Sarkie, thanks for the reply, but there are no .gcf files on the DVD. There are 1.85 GB of .cab files (sinep11-15), but not a single .gcf file to be had on the entire DVD.

Any other suggestions?
MightyDingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDingus
Sarkie, thanks for the reply, but there are no .gcf files on the DVD. There are 1.85 GB of .cab files (sinep11-15), but not a single .gcf file to be had on the entire DVD.

Any other suggestions?
I'd go ahead and uninstall Steam, then reinstall from the media.

Uninstalling Steam just removes the Steam files, but does not remove your games, the personal settings for your games, etc.

This is a glitch in the Steam installer when it encounters a version of Steam newer than itself. Valve wrote the installer for us, and since we were testing against the latest version of Steam when we ran our installer tests, we didn't see this behavior.

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote