Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Editing

Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Tyrant9
Experienced

Default Building GTA size map: Possible?

Is it possible to to create a huge, open ended map with S:E's SDK or the Source Engine? If yes, what are the caveats if one should endeavour such task?
Tyrant9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default Re: Building GTA size map: Possible?

Go into 2D view and zoom out until you see the whole grid, that is how big your map can be. To make something the size of a GTA city you might have to link multiple maps together through level change triggers at the edge of each piece of map. Even if there was a map like that it probably wouldn't be as fun because mutants don't drive cars you can steal and no homeless person in SiN has beaten me up yet.
If you wanted to start on a big project like that you should take some graph paper out and plan the whole city to scale first before going into Hammer.

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Gantrithor
Rookie

Yeah; Source only supports a map size of 819.2 x 819.2 x 819.2 (metres). Also, a map that size takes an extremely long time to compile if you have RAD enabled. If you want to make a large map like that, I'd recommend using a different engine unless you can live with many level transitions.
Gantrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

I've played some pretty huge 3rd party maps in counter strike source, so big that even though I'm on max settings I cannot see the other end of it and it runs smooth with 64 players.

The biggest I've played is a part of a city that has jail, where the terrorists start, and two bomb sites one is an apartment building and the other is a bank. I guess it runs smooth, because you cannot enter the majority of the buildings.

Still there are so many different routes you can take between the many buildings and their back alleys etc.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Short answer: Yes, but you'd probably run into entity limits long before you ran out of geometry, and the time to compile the map would probably be measured in days.

--------------------
Michael Russell
Coder who tests; Tester who codes
http://www.romsteady.net/
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Russell
Short answer: Yes, but you'd probably run into entity limits long before you ran out of geometry, and the time to compile the map would probably be measured in days.
yeah, but you can have a destroyable envrioment and make certain areas inexessable all of the time, allowing you to clean up enties.

this trick is used in HL2:ep1 by closing off places to backtrack, thus making the player unafraid to go forward and allowing for things to get cleaned up.

you could also be smart with the AI and make them chase the player/have choppers pick them up and try to head them off, all sorts of things.

it could be done, but you have to be smart with the limits, I think.

Last edited by guru7892 : 08-13-2006 at 03:33 AM.
guru7892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #7
ripper_hugme
Regular

Send a message via AIM to ripper_hugme

Whats HL:E1, did you mean HL2:EP1(BTW valve gets name of the queer for such an idiot-proof and confusing at the same time name, hl2:ep1)

IMO a map this size in source would be impossible even if you used models for everything (even the ground) let alone the fact that it would have interactivty = 0 (which = suckiness = 100 to the power of ten)

--------------------

Last edited by ripper_hugme : 08-13-2006 at 12:25 AM.
ripper_hugme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
guru7892
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper_hugme
Whats HL:E1, did you mean HL2:EP1
sry for confusing you, i'll make the necessary changes
guru7892 is offline   Reply With Quote