Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 04-29-2003, 06:28 PM   #1
dark
Casual

Default Just curious about play options...

Can we play from the terrorist perspective in any mode? I enjoy gunning down cts in Counterstrike and i know that ppl might say " well u support terrorism". nah, i just like to feel im getting even with that cop who gave me a ticket hehe. Its just fun sometimes to pretend ur the bad guy, im sure everyone understands that.
dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
MadOnion
Fanatic

Default Re: Just curious about play options...

Some Ritual employees previously addressed this question and they stated that no single-player missions will take place from a terrorist's perspective.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 07:05 PM   #3
dark
Casual

Im just wondering, is there any reason why we wont be able to? Counterstrike is not Americas Army, where you only see the perspective of US soldiers. I think its only fair u get a chance to play both sides of the game like Gooseman intended.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
hearst44
Regular

One reason probably is that it would be too much of a pain in the ass to do 20 missions for 2 sides and if u took out 10 for each side it wouldnt be fun.
hearst44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
kanaeda
Veteran

We made a conscious decision not to build terrorist missions during the planning and design phase. However, there is full support for creating missions from either side of the fence if people choose to do so after the game and dev tools are available.
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:54 PM   #6
dark
Casual

Okay I don't mean to pry into your personal beliefs and those of your coworkers but why was there a conscious decision made on this issue? Im sure some ppl might rave that its evil to play against "the good guys", but when you play CS online you aren't always CT are you? When you decide to develop a game ( such as condition zero) you have to realize it is afterall just a game and not real life. Noone is being killed or hurt, other than those who take the game too seriously. But if you do decide that killing CTs in the game is wrong, you have to look at the other perspective. Killing is never really okay, and to glorify it in a game and then speaking against it is rather hypocritical. I just think everyone would enjoy playing both sides, where you can save hostages and rob a bank as well. Im not trying to dictate how the game should be made, but when you impliment limitations based on moral grounds you have be rational and understand that the game is intended for a mature audience, not young preteens who have no concept of responsibility.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:04 AM   #7
BrushBaron
Level Designer

I agree with you 100% and I'm certain everyone else at Ritual does to on the moral issues. I wasn't there for the discussions on whether or not players can be a terrorist but I am willing to bet that it was decided to stick with one side because of technical reasons. To develop a game that allows players to play as both a CT or T would require missions for both. The game has 20 missions, you could play 10 missions of either side, but I think that's too short for gamers, they wouldn't see it has a 20 mission game, but only a 10 mission game depending on who they play. That would create a lot of complaining from gamers.

Besides, with the tools being released as mentioned earlier you can create Terrorist single player missions, how awesome is that?
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 AM   #8
kanaeda
Veteran

I never said the decsision was made on a moral basis. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:37 AM   #9
MadOnion
Fanatic

I don't think a terrorist's perspective fit well with the gameplay and mission structure of CZ. To make terrorist missions fun Ritual would need to allow more of an open-ended gameplay style ala GTA3, possibly add some crime reward system, and basically create a new single-player mode to avoid being dubbed a run-of-the-mill shooter in which unsatisfying death and destruction is the main objective.
MadOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #10
dark
Casual

Alright, i just misunderstood you when you said "conscious" decision. But, I have an idea that you can take a good deal of those missions and simply change the mission objectives. For example, say the original mission is for the cts to raid a military compound with terrorists holding hostages inside. Take out the hostages, switch the skins around and make the terrorist objective to ambush the CTs inside the building and steal something of importance. With about maybe 30 minutes of editing you have a different mission. I realize it wouldnt work for a few scenarios such as a bank robbery or drug lords hideout but reusing some maps is a time-saving idea.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:27 PM   #11
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Sure sounds like it would be nice but then the fans complain that we are lazy bastards and that they can make better games than us. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
BeasTyBoy

Why do you write this now?? if you had written this 2 years ago then maybe they would have createn missions for both sides.. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
BeasTyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:48 PM   #13
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Yes, but Ritual only started working on this last August. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
badman is offline   Reply With Quote