Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 08-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Vash
Experienced

Default Steam nears end!

Steam BETA Nears End
rizzuh @ 2:09 pm pdt - cstrike pc - 15 comments - new!
VALVe Software's public Steam BETA test, which allowed anyone to play the Half-Life family of games for free, is drawing to an end, says Erik Johnson on the Steam forums.
The next major release of Steam will be the first step towards converting the entire Half-Life user base to Steam. This means that we will be resetting the Steam account database from scratch. After this, you will need to have a valid CD-Key to access games via Steam, so you will want to treat your Steam account as permanent. One CD-Key will grant you access to all of the games currently available in the Steam beta. The Friends database will remain intact, so if you create an account with the same name when the beta ends, you will retain your Friends list.

The next step will be to release the remaining three Half-Life 2 movies, fix the remaining issues with the Riot Shield in Counter-Strike, and any remaining issues with Steam. This will happen almost immediately after the Steam beta ends.
In addition to all of this, some major features have been announced to come after the Steam BETA completes its run:
New version of Cobble reworked by David Johnston.
Full Skin support in Steam.
More detailed information regarding the cache file on your drive.
Vastly more efficient use of disk space and bandwidth in Steam.
New conversion wizard to make better use of existing content on your drive.
Keep in mind that Steam does not mean Counter-Strike 1.6. CS 1.6 could still be ways off, but the content delivery program called Steam is nearing completion.

Steam is VALVe's method of online game distribution. Using Steam, developers can cut out publishers from the release process; which means developers will be able to take in more profits and have more control over the game itself.

Either Counter-Strike: Condition Zero or Half-Life 2 will be the first retail game sold over the Steam platform.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #2
kevin442
Fanboy

Default Re: Steam nears end!

cool
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
enfestid
Veteran

Hopefully this will turn out to be good news [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:16 AM   #4
Kalabalana
Veteran

Anyone remember how we all thought cz was nearing it's end back in late april?
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:57 AM   #5
Automator
Veteran

this is good news. i believe that remark about how two weeks from when steam beta ends there will be a patch to convert everyone is when 1.6 will go official. when you think about it this isnt a bad move. since everyone will be on steam they can still fix any bugs/balance issues after the official 1.6. In my mind this move shoes that valve is nearly prepared to release cz as well as hl2.
Yes, yes, i know ive been playing along to whatever valve tells me for a while, but i'd like to believe this is a good step toward release.
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Anyone remember how we all thought cz was nearing it's end back in late april?
Late April? We didn't think that, we wanted to think that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had no clue where it was at.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:06 AM   #7
Kalabalana
Veteran

ritualistic (not ritual or valve) had posts back then about the game being released in may sometime.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

We posted it because we were told several times by Valve that the game was still on schedule for a May release.

We didn't just make that stuff up or anything.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 04:08 PM   #9
Kalabalana
Veteran

I know, I know, we had this conversation before, just bringing these guys up to date.