Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre

Old 11-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #1
worm

Default More info needed

This post is merely intended as a customer enquiry. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As a potential buyer, I'd like to know whether a "Terrain & Object Editor" will be included with "Team Sabre". Ritual's Press release whereby the preliminary features to be included with the game have been announced are a little confusing to me. It mentions "MOD support for creating multiplayer maps". But that could mean a MED (Mission Editor) which allows a user to place existing objects on a terrain in order to create a map. That's what we've had with all the DF series from "Land Warrior" onwards and would expect to find in any new game. But that's something entirely different from an editor that allows a player to create their own terrains and objects.
So would you please be so kind as to elaborate a little on the kind of "MOD support" you are refering to?
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Default Re: More info needed

Honestly, I think Novalogic is the one that wrote that press release. They know what their plans are for mod tools so I'm sure they will be talking about it more when the time is right.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #3
worm

Quote:
Honestly, I think Novalogic is the one that wrote that press release. They know what their plans are for mod tools so I'm sure they will be talking about it more when the time is right.
I see...so what you're saying is that although Ritualistic is developing the Team Sabre Expansion Pack, it doesn't have any control over what tools will be made available in the game other than what Novalogic allows or specifies? That would seem to imply that Ritualistic is merely the developer and isn't going to actually publish the game in the same sense as what Zombie Studios did with Task Force Dagger. Is that correct?
Old 11-22-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
BrushBaron
Level Designer

You are correct, Ritual Entertainment (Ritualistic is the fan website) is only the developer. We're very good at developing games and so are Novalogic, however they also have the resources to publish and market the game. They will be doing that side, while Ritual, in tight cooperation with them create the game.
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
worm

Quote:
You are correct, Ritual Entertainment (Ritualistic is the fan website) is only the developer. We're very good at developing games and so are Novalogic, however they also have the resources to publish and market the game. They will be doing that side, while Ritual, in tight cooperation with them create the game.
Well, I'm sure that Ritual will make a fine job of it just as you guys did when you developed the QUAKE Mission Pack #1: Scourge of Armagon in conjunction with iD software (you were known as Hipnotic Interactive Inc., then of course).
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I don't think that anybody in the DF community quite understands the logic of releasing two games within a couple of weeks of each other though since the expansion pack that Ritual is developing is likely to become a non-starter when overshadowed by Nova's "Joint Operations" which is much more comprehensive in content. I'm basing my judgement on the very limited previews floating around the Web such as this one over @ PC Games. If you compare that to the one concerning Team Sabre on the same site, I think you'll understand what I mean. PC Games has the two scheduled for release within 12 days of each other. If Team Sabre was to be a stand-alone game, then it would probably stand some chance of being reasonably successful, but as an expansion pack, I very much doubt it since only a small minority of players who already have Black Hawk Down are likely to buy it. That translates to empty Team Sabre servers at the end of the day...

However, if Ritual is only the developer, then you don't stand to lose out financially if Team Sabre fails to make it to the charts. <font color="blue"> </font>