Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Condition Zero & CS Xbox

Old 03-11-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
kevin442
Fanboy

Default its finally going to come out

I have my copy preordered over steam which will only cost me $30 (ya) so i suggest u guys get your copy off of steam cuz u save 10 big ones.

this will prolly be my alst post since cz is coming out in a few days.

l8r all

ps. see you guys on the battlefield
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
kanaeda
Veteran

Default Re: its finally going to come out

ok, let me get this straight...

You just payed $30, saving $10, to buy a game that you *already* have just so that you can play this version of the *exact* same game with a bunch of other people that *payed* to play a game they already play for *free*? And to top it off, you're relying on Steam to deliver this game to you immediately upon release...

I don't know what's worse, the thought of you actually being that foolish or Valve probably being right in thinking that people are stupid enough to buy something they already have, and for free at that!

An actual single-player counter-strike FPS I would consider spending $20-30 on. A piss-poor, quake3-style game with contrived objectives and the same outdated graphics as the free mod... You're joking, right?.... Right?
kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
kevin442
Fanboy

lol ya thats what i thoguht at first but to be honest i havnt had one tiny problem with steam and this uploading of CZ im getting is actually going flawlessly. and yes its $30 since i got cs
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
Kalabalana
Veteran

yep, [censored] the chance of me gettign the game
but you said

"An actual single-player counter-strike FPS I would consider spending $20-30 on. A piss-poor, quake3-style game with contrived objectives and the same outdated graphics as the free mod... You're joking, right?.... Right?"

Maybe if you actually played the game, it would've helped ritual produce a decent version of it. I was wondering how you guys got it so wrong.
Play the game beforehand, learn the style (cs way diff from quake 3 *even though similar engines) and then tell people who bought your product that they are morons.
in conclusion, cs is not quake 3 not even close
Kalabalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Ritual created exactly what Valve asked for. That this didn't turn out to be hot with reviewers is regrettable, though in hindsight it seems to have been inevitable.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Automator
Veteran

Me and kala understand that, and your probably not the ones to blame. I think Kala was just arguing with which version deserves $30. I would rather pay for the new cz than the ritual version.
Level design, models, sounds, pretty much everything but gameplay and ai was on point. It also doesn't feel anything like cs.
The new maps, redone maps, weapon models, and sounds really do it for me. Since I already have them, I'm not sure weather I'm going to pick up cz. I won't be getting it right away. If I do pick it up, it will definately not be through steam.
Automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

I'm not sure if either version is worth 30 bucks when you have games like UT2004 and Battlefield: Vietnam coming out the week before. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
Automator
Veteran

Very true. I'll be sticking to Call of Duty and cs for a while, depending on how farcry's mp works out.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
kanaeda
Veteran

Play the game? You're joking, right?

Don't be silly enough to assume things like the designers never play(ed) CS. I played pretty heavily for about 18 months (every day during lunch and most nights at home). The lead designer at Ritual was a daily CS player prior to and during development. While I agree that CS is not Quake 3 (yes, they are pretty similar in many ways, sorry), the game mechanics implemented for the single-player game is almost a direct rip-off of the quake 3 tier setup.

As for buying my product - is that meant to be a joke or an insult ? ;p

I worked on a traditional single-player fps game that was left unfinished after a. I was no longer an employee at Ritual and b. Valve yet again decided they had no clue what they wanted to make and went another direction... again.

kanaeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
Kalabalana
Veteran

ooo, I see, I thought you meant cs as it is now plays like a twitch game like quake 3, not the version you guys made.

But yeah $30 ("As a special deal") for cs players and $40 for everyone else is a rip off.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #11
Automator
Veteran

I think next gen cards at $500 are a rip off, but if supply meets demand...

Valve knows how to make money, I just hope not that many people buy off steam so it lowers the price of half life2.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #12
Kalabalana
Veteran

Yeah the price they want for cz is insane even at the 'reduced' price for people who already own cs. I was thinking more along the lines of <= $20 for cz via steam.