Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 05-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default QotW: Worst Things About Favorite Games, Vice Versa

Sorry about the lateness of this post in the week. I'm recovering from an inner-ear infection, so my concentration has been shot to say the least.

Every video game that we love has some rough spots. For example, I love Blue Byte's "Incubation: Time Is Running Out." However, it's possible to completely screw yourself for the remainder of the game if you let one or two key units die midway through the game.

Think about your favorite game for a minute, and let us know what you think is the weakest part of that game. If it would be easier, you can also share parts of really weak games that you think would have been amazing had they only been in a different title.
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default Re: QotW: Worst Things About Favorite Games, Vice Versa

Before anyone else clogs the forum with this, I think everyone was dissapointed with HL2's ending, there, no one else talk about it, its over.

I don't usually play games that dissapoint me, so I only have two things to share.

1) All the expensive weapons in the Counter-Strike series suck more than the cheap ones.

2) Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance had the bad looking Sub-Zero character while Mortal Kombat Deception didn't have enough characters.

3) Now that I think about it, never make an RTS level where you can't build more units.

4) I do not like the fact you cannot shoot thing's limbs off in First person shooters.

P.S. Don't make games where it takes a long time to have fun *cough* MMORPGS *cough*

P.S.S. Ravenholm in HL2 could have been a lot more scary if the zombies were a little more stealthy and could walk on walls.

Sorry, I had more than two things.
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
kevin442
Fanboy

Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror could have possibly been better than Counter Strike but due to the lack of the weapons practically sounding all the same. There was around 40 maps that came with the game, the game had excellent weapon and player models, but the weapons were just no fun [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenogenetic:
Sorry, I had more than two things.
Don't apologize. If we didn't care what the community had to say, we wouldn't ask.
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #5
JimmyC
Experienced

Games that have certain areas/episodes/modes locked until you reach a certain level of proficency really bug me. Some examples: Max Payne not allowing you to play in New York Minute mode until you've completed the game; driving games that only give you 1 or 2 tracks until you win a race. When I pay for a game, I should be able to see all modes of play upfront. Maybe one of those locked modes or tracks or whatever would be more interesting to me than the available ones, and I might be interested in the title for a longer time.

Another thing that really bugs me anymore is blurry textures. For example, Doom3. It has great shadows, awesome normal-mapping and great specular-mapping on just about every texture in the game, but if you look at the actual textures, most are a blurry mess. Ever tried to read the writing on one of those barrels? Or looked at some of those pipes in the walls? Blurry textures should have died with the software rendering option. Game development companies shouldn't cater to people who insist on using the onboard-video with no dedicated memory or who haven't upgraded their systems in 6 years. Keep up or get out of the way.
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
SpaecKow
Content Editor, Ritualistic.com

Default Re: QotW: Worst Things About Favorite Games, Vice V

The ear infection sucks man, I just finished one off myself, </sympathy>

Anyway, speaking of Max Payne, absolutely loved the game, but when devs want to mix things up a little bit they should consider special sequences to be a highlight, not a chore. Case in point - the Max Payne dream sequences.

First time around the maze was not difficult and once I had completed it though it seemed cool, it wasn't very fulfilling, the second time it was just annoying. The oppertunity should have been taken to do something really special. Like Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, if I recall that game had a cool shooting sequence where you were in a dogfight with nazi airplanes. Now THAT is totally awesome. Another game that had a lot of stuff of that kind was MDK. Every other level in that game had something cool in it, some special kind of setup that was not at all "de-rigeur" and really mixed it up for the player, so that you were rarely doing the standard thing of moving from level to level, slowly meeting new enemies and amassing an arsenal of gradually more and more powerful weapons, but rather you had you had a bunch of equal chunks to the game that varied greatly in content, while you had more or less the same weapons and enemies.

Sin kinda did this where you had a few levels in the same environment and then you'd move onto a new area that would be totally different.
SpaecKow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
STATIC3D
Addict

In no particular order here are the top 10 things that bugged me about games I liked to play...

1) Quake 3, areas in a map that were inaccessable but could be seen. If I can see a ledge/window opening/etc., and I can physically reach it, I should be able to stand/be there. Invisible walls suck.
(Another "little" thing about this game was that wall decorations used the same amount of texture as the entire walls in some levels. This made the decorations stand out (in a cartoony way) from the wall they were on in those cases.)

2) DooM 3, the lighting. Yes, I'm gonna say it, I thought the lighting in DooM 3 was anything but realistic. Not EVERY light in the world produces sharp edged shadows. Light (and the shadows it produces) diffuses, fades and smoothes out over distance. While the lighting was able to move (ala real-time), I found it to be less "realistic" than many other games that came before with static lighting.

3) Take your pick of a game with in game physics. Okay, it's not that I don't like in game physics. I think they are great. However...I have yet to see a game that didn't have "floaty" objects that didn't react like their real world counterparts. Walking into a crate (made of wood) or a barrel (made of metal) shouldn't send it "slowly" falling to the ground where it proceeds to tumble as if it had the mass of a dead helium baloon. Yeah, I know, it's a "gameplay" thing and a bit of artistic license. But, with games reaching for "realism" that just doesn't work for that.

4) SiN, no SiN 2. (Somebody had to say it). :}

5) Burnout 3: Takedown (XBOX), 2X and 4X icons in Crash Mode. Having played Burnout 2, I LOVED Crash Mode. In fact, I don't think we played more than 1 or 2 of the Race Mode levels because Crash Mode was so fun. For those that don't know, Crash Mode allows the player to drive a car down a street into an intersection (or oncoming traffic) and cause an accident (think Hollywood movie style with LOTS of "car"nage). The damage costs would then be totaled up and the player would see if they caused enough damage to reach a Bronze, Silver or Gold score. The fun part was figuring out where you could hit to cause the most damage.

However, in Burnout 3: Takedown they instituted some "icons" into Crash Mode. The player could cause the crash and then "steer" their crashed car (while it was flying thru the air) towards one of these icons. The icons consisted of 2X (twice the damage total), 4X (four times the damage total), Heartbreaker (1/2 the damage total), Crashbreaker (an explosion to throw surrounding cars and cause more damage). Those sound neat and fun until you learn that many of the Crash Mode tracks REQUIRE the player to steer their car into one of the 2X or 4X icons JUST to be able to cause enough damage to even place (Bronze, Silver, Gold). This took the control out of the player's hands by being able to figure out a sweet spot in which to cause the crash and made them more of a monkey going thru the paces.

Crash Mode in Burnout 3: Takedown was prettier than in Burnout 2. Gameplay wise, it would be like taking a good FPS and turning it into a rail shooter. The player's control was removed since the developers forced you to do a certain thing a certain way to be able to score high enough to place. Oh yeah, there was also the little fact that in Burnout 2 the damage scores were in the millions of dollars, while those in Burnout 3: Takedown were lowered into the hundreds of thousands (I only broke into the one or two million range a handful of times). It just didn't have the same impact as seeing MILLIONS of dollars in damage (even if that was exaggerated).

6) UT2003/2004, double jumping. While it was a "gameplay" choice, it was SO gimmicky. Actually, there were a LOT of things I didn't find fun in UT2003/2004 after having enjoyed playing UT for FOUR YEARS. However, I saw some of those as more bugs/mistakes (some of which were fixed from UT2003 to UT2004) than the double jumping thing. There just wasn't a "reason" for it other than to try and "freshen up" the gameplay.

7) Battlefield 1942, wonky AI. Sometimes the AI would be SO one sided against you. Other times, your side would kick the crap out of the enemy AI. It was like some random lottery drawing. Also, if you were in an airplane, the AI was a DEAD ON AIM with ground based guns to take your plane down.

8) ANY driving game that does this, AI with superglue tires and/or ability to race faster than your car can (ex. around corners). I enjoy playing driving games (both on the PC and consoles). However, there is something I have noticed a LOT of in some newer racing titles. The AI in these games can go around the tracks at top speeds and NEVER seem to lose traction. This wouldn't be a problem if the player was able to do the same thing. However, 9 times out of 10, the player's car is handicapped with loss of traction to the point where you must slow down so much that the AI can simply pull around you (and at a much higher speed). Challenging AI is fine, but "cheap" AI such as this is just stupid game development (imho).

9) Fighting games with sluggish controls. I also enjoy playing a fighting game now and again on consoles. But, there seems to be a bit of a problem with some newer fighting games that just don't react the way the older ones did. Mortal Kombat Deception got a lot of good reviews so I was looking forward to giving it a try. Unfortunately, I found the game to be a lagged out mess when it came to the controls. My wife and I both felt like we were having to play thru molasses with the controls of the game. (Personally, I don't think there has been a decent MK game since MK II thou, so perhaps I'm a bit biased). Bascially, if I push a button, I want the character on the screen to do something...right then.

10) Any FPS with repetative levels. I enjoy playing FPS games, but, I want a variety of gameplay with the game. If every level feels like a slight variation of the level before it (coff DooM 3 coff), then I get bored. I agree with what someone said earlier about how SiN did things well with playing in one type of evironment and then moving on to another as a good way of keeping the game fresh. Deus Ex sort of did that a bit too.

In no particular order here are the top 5 things that I liked about some bad/poor/less popular games...

1) Laser Arena, the laser grenade. This game, by 2015, developed using the Q1 engine, was basically a non-violent FPS game of laser tag. There were only 2 weapons in the game...the laser rifle every player was equipped with, and, a laser grenade as a pickup item. The laser grenade would be thrown by a player, then, it would raise into the air (about 3 feet or so) and a stream of lasers to blast out of this thing from random points. Any player hit by one of the beams would lose one "tag". It was just a cool weapon that had a bit of randomness to it with the beams shooting out in the random pattern from the surface of the grenade.

2) Powerslide, car control. For a game where the cars were basically out of control the entire time, it was up to the player to keep them on the track and going in the right direction. This was a game that just did a lot of things right imho. It was one of those games that I played so much of the demo that I probably wore out the demo disc...lol. However, once you learned how the cars were controlled, it was a BLAST to play. It probably did okay for the time, but I would loved to have seen a sequal (rather than many other dirt track type games from the developer (RatBag Games) using slightly upgraded versions of the same game engine). At the very least, the release of a level editor/creator would have been good.

3) Warrior, a vector graphics game from the arcade days. As the grandfather of 3D fighters, I got a chance to play this little known game with my father once in an arcade. It was a top down perspective of 2 knights sword fighting. You could knock your opponent into a bottomless pit to score a win which was kul. If you don't know about it, look it up, it's a part of fighting game history. It was just a fun game to play that was little known. :}

4) SiN, without it, there could be no SiN II (fingers crossed). I mention this because there are a LOT of gamers out there that really don't know about SiN. The part I find the biggest bummer is that SiN doesn't often get the credit it deserves for some of the innovative (first time ever seen) features within it's gameplay that many other games since have used. Sure, it's nice to see that feature in another game, but people should know SiN was the first to offer it. Of course, I have not problem extolling the greatness of the game to those that are not in the know. :}

5) Blood 2, weapons. While Blood had some good humor, along the lines of Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, Blood 2 took a more serious route. This seemed to hurt the popularity of the game in some respects. However, in terms of weapon layout, this game offered a good deal of fun weapons to use. The Orb, the minigun (wall o' lead = instant death), Singularity Generator, etc. I've mentioned these in the weapons discussion, but, I felt they should be mentioned again as Blood 2 wasn't that big of a title (by comparison to top ones), but, it had some of the best weapons I've ever enjoyed playing with in a FPS.
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
Xenogenetic
Addict

I had to add this, after watching things fall in HL2 for a while, it really pisses me off that they dont gain speed while falling, realistic physics my ass!
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote