Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 06-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Super_Mole

Default SiN: Episodes - Just Plain Fun

It has been an excruciatingly long wait since I played the original SiN and was able to experience what I now consider one of my favorite games of all time. Surprisingly, very few games since then have matched the level of pure, visceral entertainment that Ritual set so high. SiN was released during a time when the primary goal of a game was fun, and its successor certainly continues that legacy.

SiN and the Half-Life series are seen as direct competitors by many, but I believe it is futile to compare two games that are so different in terms of gameplay, setting and style. Their only main similarity is the fact that they share the same genre. The comparison is definately understandable, though, due to the fact that the respective iterations of each series have been released during the same time period and have utilized the same graphics engine. Personally, I'm content to sit back and enjoy both. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I must congratulate Ritual for making such a wonderfully fun game, and while they created a compelling storyline, they also worked some levity back into the genre. The game certainly has its flaws, but their attention to the community and willingness to improve has been astounding. I'm positive that Episode 2 is going to blow us all away.

Before I end my little speech, I would like to point out a few things that I enjoyed and some that could potentially improve the next episode of the series.

- As was mentioned countless times before, I would definately like to hear Blade speak alot more in both combat and cinematic situations. More importantly than that, though, is the need to deepen the relationships between Jessica, Blade, and JC as well as their individual sentiments toward characters like Elexis and Radek. Specifically, the relationship between Blade and Elexis needs to be taken much further than it has previously. The potential for character development in future episodes is very large. When I play the game, I want to actually care for the characters, something that I felt little of in this episode. Of course, this can all be improved through expanded dialogue between the characters.

- Simply put, the soundtrack for the game was incredible. Everything from the title theme to the in-game tracks was amazingly well done. All I can say about this is, "Keep up the good work!"

- A bit more variety in the environments would go a long way in this game. For most of the middle portion of the game I felt like I was constantly fighting in grimy hallways. The U4 Labs and Supremacy Tower are great examples of how to break up the monotony. The level design itself was very good, but I think variety needs to be a primary focus in the next episode. From a technical standpoint, my only concern is the low resolution textures I saw at some points. Bump that up, and you have a solid game. By the way, the docks were absolutely beautiful.

- The impact of the weapons along with the gameplay was very solid and impressive. Please retain the same balance in future episodes and maintain that same level of quality on any future weapons that you add to the mix.

- More variety in enemies would also be excellent. At the very least, please create a few skins for the same enemy.

- The difficulty system is very interesting and I really enjoyed the amount of customization possible with it. I thought the AI was much more intelligent than I expected, although they were a bit suicidal at times. A bit more documentation may be needed for some people to use the sliders, but I was able to figure it out on my own.

- More boobies are always appreciated.

That about wraps it up for now! Thanks again Ritual! I'm off to go give the game another go at maximum difficulty.
Super_Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Zinfacter
Regular

Default Re: SiN: Episodes - Just Plain Fun

Well put, I couldn't agree more myself.
Zinfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
MadMax
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MadMax

You might want to try the two Blade voice packs before replaying, if you want more Blade talk in the game. See the Editing forum.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
Super_Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax:
You might want to try the two Blade voice packs before replaying, if you want more Blade talk in the game. See the Editing forum.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Super_Mole is offline   Reply With Quote