Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 07-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
mraculen

Default longer or shorter than HL2 epi1

after finishing HL2:episode one. I felt the episode was too damn short. just when it was getting really fun, the game ended. now im wondering, how long is Sin: Emergence? is it much much longer than HL2:epi1? or as short? for $20. can anyone tell me? I feel that HL2epi1 isnt worth $20. and I cant really afford to spend $20 on a game I can finish in 2 days playing it only a few hours a day. thanks
mraculen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Maniac
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Maniac
Default Re: longer or shorter than HL2 epi1

For me it was longer. The extra level of interactivity added a lot to the game, but it lacks HL2 episode 1's commentary, which makes playing the game over worthwhile.

-Maniac

--------------------
Note to my neighbors, those rumblings you heard earlier was not an earthquake, I now have nuclear power.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
BishopGantry
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraculen
after finishing HL2:episode one. I felt the episode was too damn short. just when it was getting really fun, the game ended. now im wondering, how long is Sin: Emergence? is it much much longer than HL2:epi1? or as short? for $20. can anyone tell me? I feel that HL2epi1 isnt worth $20. and I cant really afford to spend $20 on a game I can finish in 2 days playing it only a few hours a day. thanks
Slightly shorter but the interactivity more than well makes up for it, Arena mode was recently released where you are pited against waves of stronger enemies and hopefully theyll release Multiplayer Sin E aswell...

Oh and you get Sin1 the original game aswell with Sin Emergence, if you havent played Sin1 previosly you get 2 games to enjoy...
BishopGantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Damien_Azreal
Experienced

It was a longer for me, probably by an hour or so.

--------------------
Proud Monolith Fanboy since 1997

Top upcoming PC games: F.E.A.R. Extraction Point, SiN: Episode 2, Crysis, Serious Sam 3, DNF.
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

It was about an hour or two longer than HL2Ep1 for me, but it is roughly the same length.

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
mraculen

is the original sin game using the source engine too? like the original Half Life converted to Source?
mraculen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

No. There are currently no plans to do that, but it's something they have thought about. They may do it eventually.

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
snake289
Experienced

Send a message via AIM to snake289 Send a message via MSN to snake289

for me it was slighty longer then hl 2 epi 1

--------------------

www.freewebs.com/snake289
snake289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Dimedo
Casual

Send a message via ICQ to Dimedo

For me it was definatley longer, too. Also I had to play the game again directly. And then I played it again only to find all the secrets and the phone numbers. While playing SiN Episodes: Emergence I also never had the feeling that the 3 available weapons aren't enough. In HLČ: Episode 1 there were simply no new weapons, which I hated the most if I compare the game to such great games like HL1: Opposing Force. I think HLČ Episode 1 is a lot worse than SiN Episodes: Emergence. If there wouldn't be this damned german version problem I would be sure to buy the next Episode of SiN.
Dimedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Sin Emergence was longer than HL2 episode 1, but only because you spent longer running around shooting enemies.

There was less different things to do in SiN Emergence than Half-Life 2 Episode 1.

Although the length of the game is less important than the entertainment to me. Some of my favourite games are incredibly short and were sold at full retail prices. Such as Max Payne, Call of Duty, Fahrenheit, etc.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #11
xanthian
Casual

I agree that HL2 Ep 1 felt a bit short -- brilliant, but short. It's hard to make a direct comparison between the two in length, but I have to say that SiN: Emergence is probably one of the best $20 I've ever spent on a video game, because the replay value is huge. And now that they've added Arena mode, it's even huger. And when Multiplayer comes out... well, it'll be hugerer still!

Uh, yeah. Seriously though. I played HL2 Ep1 twice through and enjoyed it immensely both times. SiN: Emergence, I go for a spin on Arena Mode almost every day and I've played the game through more times than I can count, including several attempts at Hardcorps mode. HL2:Ep1 is very dramatic; whereas SiN is just plain *fun*.

Does that help?
xanthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
SkyBard
Experienced

Send a message via ICQ to SkyBard Send a message via AIM to SkyBard Send a message via MSN to SkyBard Send a message via Yahoo to SkyBard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2
Although the length of the game is less important than the entertainment to me. Some of my favourite games are incredibly short and were sold at full retail prices. Such as Max Payne, Call of Duty, Fahrenheit, etc.
I totally agree here. I'll take a shorter game with a well thought out story over something 75 hours long with a mediocre story anyday of the week. As I said before, I'm not much for FPS games, but I've played a few. But Max Payne's story keeps me enthralled, no matter how often I play it. I love Hong Kong Cinema and film noir, so I'm a Max Payne junkie as well.

--------------------
"I don't know if it's the loss of blood or the melting plastic from the monitor, but I feel great!"
SkyBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #13
Cloud
Experienced

Its was longer then HL2: EP1 but thats mostly because of trial and error in the last two levels, i think.

--------------------
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
GeneralEgo

speaking strictly about the singleplayer experience, Emergence was longer and less enjoyable, both thanks the the minigunner levels. If I have to quickload a gazillion times to get past a group of chaingunners I sure spend a good amount of time on Sin, but also pretty much guarantees I'll never do it a second time. HL2Ep1 I'll play again, just for the developer commentaries and to enjoy the more or less flawless execution one more time.

--------------------
KEEP TRY!!!
GeneralEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #15
Cynosure
Regular

Emergence was 3 hours and 50 minutes for me. But just think of what you get for $19.99...

Sin 1
Sin 1 multiplayer
Sin Episodes: Emergence
Arena
New Sin multiplayer (when it is released)

Seems well worth the money to me
Cynosure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
m72
Regular

For me it's way much more longer than HL2:E1
m72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
Lord_Rick
Experienced

They were about the same for me. I havent actually tried episode ones commentary yet but ill definitely take a look in the future.

Speaking of commentary, maybe you wonderful ritual devs could throw some commentary into episode 2, personally id love to hear your input on different bits of the games!

--------------------

Ritual! Put Wages of SiN on steam! I know where you live!
Lord_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
NodroG
Regular

I couldn't really tell which was shorter. But HL2:EP1 was very dramatic with the kind of cliff-hanger ending I was expecting out of Episodic gaming. I can't wait for the next episode. And as I mentioned elsewhere, I loved the AI for Alyx.

Sin:Emergence was a blast and I've been getting into Arena Mode recently. I love the SiN universe. It was a blast to do SiN 1 again as well. Bottom line is that it was $20 well spent.

Hopefully both companies will give us some discount on future episodes, but I will be buying the second episode of both series.
NodroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #19
Aegeri
Rookie

I thought that HL ep1 was much shorter than Sin actually. I can play through HL ep1 in roughly 1-2 hours, while Sin: Episodes takes a little over 2 hours mostly due to the difficulty and finding secrets.

The first time I played them, Sin: Episodes I would say clocks at about 5:30 or so and HL Ep1 probably about 4 hours. I didn't like the primary escourt the AI nooblar around gameplay of HL ep1 that much either, but both are pretty good enough first experiments into episodic gaming content for me.

--------------------
It's ok to impale people just as long as you don't swear while you're doing it!
Aegeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
m72
Regular

What you can finish Sin:E in 2 hours?
m72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #21
Aegeri
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72
What you can finish Sin:E in 2 hours?
Yeah I can, now that I've got certain runs down pat and know where the more important secrets are. There also a few shortcuts that can be taken with secrets. For example, in the SinTek Supremacy Tower you can use a secret to avoid a large number of enemies and skip a big chunk of the level.

This takes a lot of practice and I basically did it for an extreme difficulty hardcorps run, which I will do eventually at some point.

--------------------
It's ok to impale people just as long as you don't swear while you're doing it!
Aegeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 AM   #22
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

About 1 hour longer than HL2:Episode 1. But 10x more fun than HL2: Episode 1
DI_MeisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #23
RATBURN360
Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to RATBURN360

This probably has more replay value to it too (gaining better statistics, finding more secrets, using higher difficulty settings). I decided to pick this up over HL2:EP1.

I don't think I'll ever do Hardcorps mode on a really hard difficulty. If I were to die I'd be really depressed about it and probably cut my wrists like an emo kid.
However, I might do Hardcorps mode on the easiest setting to try a speed run. I'm having enough trouble replaying it with max challenge and zero assistence. Enemies are almost totally relentless (especially chaingunners).

--------------------
The price of freedom is Eternal Vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
SiNNER for life.

Last edited by RATBURN360 : 07-19-2006 at 08:35 AM.
RATBURN360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #24
dunklezhan
Rookie

I found Emergence longer, and much more replayable as well because of the dynamic difficulty and occasionally arcady feel.

Don't get me wrong though HL 2 Ep one was a brilliant game, that I will be replaying once I've finished Emergence for the fourth time.

To get an idea of the proportion there, I'd played Emergence three times through before Episode One came out and have only finished Episode One once before going back to play Emergence again on a completely different combination of difficulty and help settings.

I eagerly await the sequels to both.

I say buy it. Its a well put together game, with pretty solid AI (most of the time) and good level design, with some interesting concepts and a cheap price tag thrown in that has kept me entertained for far longer than the 4-6 hours it generally takes to play it (that's based on the official stats, not forum posters).

--------------------
Insert witty signature here
dunklezhan is offline   Reply With Quote