Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes Tech Help

Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
vett

Default choppy game

How do I fix the game when it runs choppy, I have lowered everything I could think of. I am running XP, nvidia 5700le
vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Curly
Regular

Default Re: choppy game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett View Post
How do I fix the game when it runs choppy, I have lowered everything I could think of. I am running XP, nvidia 5700le
Here's a good tweak guide for improving performance.
It's not specific to Sin episodes but everything still
applies.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_8.html
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Sarkie
Community Moderator

Also what CPU are you running?

--------------------
Sarkie
http://sarkies.blogspot.com/
Sarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
vett

dell, pentiam 4
Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
Sarkie
Community Moderator

Well what things have you turned down?
Do you know the full specs of your machine?

--------------------
Sarkie
http://sarkies.blogspot.com/
Sarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
vett

I have put everything on low like detail, shadows etc. I have a dell 4300, pent.4 1.60mgh, nvidia 5700le card, XP pro, 512mb ram. dose that help?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Grandpapa
Fanatic

I would suggest you to defrag your drives, and turning off all unnecessary programs running from the backround. Can't give any better advices without seeing your comp.
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
vett

I have already done the frag thing and don't know what to shut off?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
Grandpapa
Fanatic

See if there is anything helpfull to you, but if you are not sure what to do, then don't do it.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Grandpapa
Fanatic

Forgot to add link http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm
Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
vett

Thanks but a little to advanced for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
ChaosBahamut
Rookie

Put this under Launch Options.

-set dxlevel81

The FX series suck at DX9. That would be your problem most likely.
ChaosBahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 AM   #13
Pa3PyX
Casual

Send a message via ICQ to Pa3PyX Send a message via AIM to Pa3PyX Send a message via Yahoo to Pa3PyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBahamut View Post

-set dxlevel81

Not quite accurate I think; should be +mat_dxlevel 81 as a command line option. And all 5700 chips default to 8.1 already. But I have Athlon XP at 1900 MHz and FX 5700 Ultra and it's barely playable still (although comparable to HL2 of course).

1) In your GeForce control panel (right click display / Properties / Advanced / GeForce FX 5700 tab -- in newer drivers (v90 and above I believe) you have to click Control PAnel User Interface -> Classic nVidia Control Panel to enable the rest of the options there because they have an alternate GUI somewhere -- select Performance & Quality Settings, and set the slider to "High Performance".

2) Further, select View: Advanced Settings, set Trilinear Optimization: On, Anisotropic Sample Optimization: On, Anisotropic Mip Filter Optimization: Off. If you have RivaTuner installed, also adjust mipmap LOD bias to 0.3. You can now use decent quality anisotropic filter without much performance tax.

3) The most performance taxing option in SiN (and HL2) appears to be water, when set to Reflect All (r_waterforcereflectentities "1", r_waterforceexpensive "1"); make sure you select Simple Reflections (r_waterforcereflectentities "0", r_waterforceexpensive "0") or Reflect World (r_waterforcereflectentities "0", r_waterforceexpensive "1") instead -- due to a bug in the Source engine and material definitions, they are equivalent in DX8 modes -- if $forceExpensive is not defined for a material, r_waterforceexpensive "1" does not enable shader reflections either, nor does r_waterforceexpensive "0" disable them).

4) Do not set Texture Detail to "High" (mat_picmip "0") unless you have at least 1024M of RAM; use Medium/Low (mat_picmip "1" or "2") instead. nVidia drivers (unlike 3Dfx BTW) are system memory hogs.

5) As a last resort, set DX level to 7.0 (command line: +mat_dxlevel 70; console: mat_dxlevel 70, if you cannot do it in the Advanced Video Options menu for some reason). You will lose water reflections altogether.

--------------------
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. --Eldridge Cleaver
Pa3PyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 AM   #14
Pa3PyX
Casual

Send a message via ICQ to Pa3PyX Send a message via AIM to Pa3PyX Send a message via Yahoo to Pa3PyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBahamut View Post

-set dxlevel81

Not quite accurate I think; should be +mat_dxlevel 81 as a command line option. And all 5700 chips default to 8.1 already. But I have Athlon XP at 1900 MHz and FX 5700 Ultra and it's barely playable still (although comparable to HL2 of course).

1) In your GeForce control panel (right click display / Properties / Advanced / GeForce FX 5700 tab -- in newer drivers (v90 and above I believe) you have to click Control PAnel User Interface -> Classic nVidia Control Panel to enable the rest of the options there because they have an alternate GUI somewhere -- select Performance & Quality Settings, and set the slider to "High Performance".

2) Further, select View: Advanced Settings, set Trilinear Optimization: On, Anisotropic Sample Optimization: On, Anisotropic Mip Filter Optimization: Off. If you have RivaTuner installed, also adjust mipmap LOD bias to 0.3. You can now use decent quality anisotropic filter without much performance tax.

3) The most performance taxing option in SiN (and HL2) appears to be water, when set to Reflect All (r_waterforcereflectentities "1", r_waterforceexpensive "1"); make sure you select Simple Reflections (r_waterforcereflectentities "0", r_waterforceexpensive "0") or Reflect World (r_waterforcereflectentities "0", r_waterforceexpensive "1") instead -- due to a bug in the Source engine and material definitions, they are equivalent in DX8 modes -- if $forceExpensive is not defined for a material, r_waterforceexpensive "1" does not enable shader reflections either, nor does r_waterforceexpensive "0" disable them).

4) Do not set Texture Detail to "High" (mat_picmip "0") unless you have at least 1024M of RAM; use Medium/Low (mat_picmip "1" or "2") instead. nVidia drivers (unlike 3Dfx BTW) are system memory hogs.

5) Lower resolution; on the first blush it does not seem to affect much because video RAM bandwidth rarely is a bottleneck on modern video boards, but it does become a bottleneck for per pixel operations (blending -- smoke, fog; pixel shaders -- water reflection/refraction for instance) in high resolutions (above 1024 for 768 for my board, probably lower than that for yours). 1600x1200 and 640x480 may be equally fast in water-free area, but as soon as water is in the view, you will notice quite considerable difference.

6) As a last resort, set DX level to 7.0 (command line: +mat_dxlevel 70; console: mat_dxlevel 70, if you cannot do it in the Advanced Video Options menu for some reason). You will lose water reflections altogether.

--------------------
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. --Eldridge Cleaver

Last edited by Pa3PyX : 10-31-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Pa3PyX is offline   Reply With Quote