Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II

Old 04-12-2002, 05:03 AM   #1
iNARIUS
Veteran

Default Totally Unoffensive Suggestion ;) - Game Saves

I dont know how hard this would be but I was wondering if the manor in which saved games are backed up and accessed could be changed a bit.

While playing EF, it was a bit nicer to use the automatic saves made by the game rather then manual saves because upon loading them you could view all the cinematics that lead up to wherever you are resuming. However, the autosave from the previous area is written over by the next. Whenever I reached a checkpoint I wanted to keep I had to grab the file that represented it and back it up in a sepearate folder or something... then restore it when I wanted to use it.

I know this may seems a bit stupid, but I like the story of a game and when going back to a previous saved game I like to see the cinematics and dialog... especially if I'm showing the game to someone else.

My proposal is to keep a list to the side of the normal saves that retains all the major checkpoints used in the game like what is done in Bridge Commander. Not only would this make what I just described a ton easier but it allows people to go back to any part of the game that they wish to, at any time (without using the cheats of course, which could present problems with the weapons you were supposed to have and objectives you already should have completed).

I dont know how possible this is becuase all the games I've seen using the Quake 3 engine had a very similar save menu to that which EF used, but if this is possible it would be cool.

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: iNARIUS ]
iNARIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 06:50 AM   #2
Corridale
Addict

Default Re: Totally Unoffensive Suggestion ;) - Game Saves

that would be good if it were possible. As i do like the way that BC does its saves as i can go back to my favorite parts.
Corridale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 12:49 AM   #3
iNARIUS
Veteran

Anyone know if this is possible?
Old 04-13-2002, 01:19 AM   #4
Kevin Chapman
Veteran

also make it so you can make more than 93 difrent saves (think it is I know it is 90 somthing) also make it so you can scorll downl the list faster.

I am a cronic sver and in games like this I like to have persice points whair I can come back to.

but if you do what he is asking then you can icnore my sugestion all togetether.
Kevin Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 04:15 AM   #5
iNARIUS
Veteran

wow, u need that many!? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I also save often at times when the game becomes fairly difficult, but I progressively delete previous saves as well so I have never needed that many [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2002, 04:21 PM   #6
iNARIUS
Veteran

*bump*
Old 04-15-2002, 08:11 AM   #7
ensign Adam
Fanboy

Tut tut [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
ensign Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:12 AM   #8
Corridale
Addict

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Corridale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #9
iNARIUS
Veteran

Well why hasnt anyone answered???

I think thats worse then a bump, but its the last, I just thought I'd give the question that last chance...
Old 04-15-2002, 05:43 PM   #10
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Yes that would be good and possibly a manually set timer like how many saves in radiant you have per minutes. and how many saves you have before overwite.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:42 PM   #11
iNARIUS
Veteran

The saves set to a timer would be nice if it didnt overwriet any other save files like checkpoints or manuals, but they should be infrequent so that it doesnt get too easy and so that you dont rely on them, then realize that one saved too recently to undo something stupid :P

The reason that it would be good in general is because sometimes, even knowing the values of saving, if you get caught up in the game (which is a GOOD thing [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) then I have forgotten to before. Then after you dye, you go into the corner and cry for a while [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2002, 07:18 PM   #12
Kevin Chapman
Veteran

Or you spend all your time saving and you don't have a clue what the storie line is becaus you keep asving in the midle of when thay are talking!

The fun gets taken out of it if you save to much or don't save anuf

so is thair a sulution?

yes I think so

have an autop save after each time you fight a group of people or acomplish somthing of inportance. Then have all the saves labeld apropretly so you know what thay rer from.

or have it just save right befor you walk into a place whair most people will have to do more than once.
Kevin Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:14 PM   #13
iNARIUS
Veteran

right but I hope ur not suggesting getting rid of manual saves. lifes just too busy to get rid of that feature...