Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II

Old 11-15-2002, 03:22 AM   #1
sks.45
Experienced

Default Ritual Question. Re: Game Won\'t Run W/O Vid Card.

I'm stuck with a 2 year old Hewlett Packard 6636...Your basic all around, local off the floor Wall Mart computor. I never could get a video card to work... I've tried Nvidia, Pony etc. It's got one of Intels wonderful goofed up built in 11mb video boards without proper bios to work around it.

Anyways, I can run STVEF wonderfuly... Holomatch runs at lightning speed with well constructed maps, even though it requires a video card. NOLF, RTCW and other games run great too, without a special add on video card.

But, I notice as time progresses, new games come out... NOLF 2 and Americas Army for instance... They will not run.

NOLF 2 gives me an error saying no NVidia drivers found, no video card of acceptable size found (or simualar wording) Americas Army is the same story [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It just seems to me whoever produced NOLF 2 put that programming in to help support the video card industry.
Had I'd known the video card incompatibility with this Intel board.. I would have never bought it. But sadly, I'm stuck with it for the next few years I'm afraid [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

My question is this.... Will EF2 be programed with the same error codes?

I pray it isn't! I do hope it's a recommended card requirment, like STVEF. So poor people like me can at least run it.

Thanks for your time here... It's somthing that has bothered me these monthes while awaiting EF2's release.

PS: Sorry that I was so lengthy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] for one simple question.
sks.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:36 AM   #2
Corridale
Addict

I beleive that a video card is Required
Corridale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:22 AM   #3
duey
Experienced

> getting a video card to work

This might be a stupid question, but did you try looking on HP's web site for help? I found http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=hppavilion19286&LC=personal_com puting&Tfile=bph06273 It says that if you have i810 or i815 onboard video, you should be able to add in a video card. However, "CAUTION: Altering or replacing internal components may void any existing warranty." [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm, their instructions for changing the video card sound really odd, but probably need to be followed to the letter no matter how stupid they are. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Duey
duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
sks.45
Experienced

Yes [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've tried it all. Everything on the HP site, forums, video card sites. I called support lines of each.

I took it in to 2 specialized computor shops....they couldn't do it either.

Most all games run just fine.... but now-a-days the new games are giving no video card driver error messages and wont run. Like the games are being programmed not to run
without the found drivers/cards. Grrrr!

I'm just hoping Ritual doesn't program EF2 the same way,
too shut down if there not found.

I've never been so frustrated in all my life!
Old 11-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #5
BrushBaron
Level Designer

don't buy crappy computers next time, [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 03:58 AM   #6
sks.45
Experienced

True.... How True [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Those crafty salesmen will sell you anything.

Do the Ritual folks still read the posts?

Old 11-16-2002, 05:25 AM   #7
Corridale
Addict

I beleive they read they just dont post
Old 11-16-2002, 06:05 AM   #8
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

It's not a matter of 'programming' a game a certain way. Usually developers don't exclude certain cards on purpose. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It's actually a matter of engine requirements. Newer titles need better hardware, and eventually they will not work on older computers.

Unfortunately you probably won't get an answer to your question until you actually try out the EF2 demo. In the meantime, you could download the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault demo and see if that runs. Even though EF2's underlying technology is more advanced, MOHAA should be a good indicator.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:43 PM   #9
neural link
Veteran

there is hope, get a geforce 4 mx 440 pci card
I got a crappy HP 6630 and have since modified it. intel i810 sux big time I used to have to run EF on low quality or else wait 5min for the map to load.
neural link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 11:07 AM   #10
The Analog Kid
Fanboy

Well if its the salesmen thats the problem, you need to outsmart them. Tell them you don't want onboard video because its obsolete, you can confuse them even more by saying just like a BIOS(macs have one up on pcs, dammit use the open firmware). Now if they know what you are talking about say, hey well I don't want that GeForce 4mx garbage, I want a real GPU. Now don't break down if he gives you some shitty comments on why you should by it anyway. Then tell him, you have all shitty computers for someone who just wants to use the internet, if I needed one of those I could have bought a eMachine. Then walk out of the store. Go online and buy a real computer.
The Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:32 PM   #11
Kevin Chapman
Veteran

Quick question will my new custesm built computer that has
2100 AMD proseser and GF Ti4400 work with EF2?

(ok I am sory I didnet mean to glote or anything I am just so esited that I finly got a computer that I can call my own. It took me months of saving up for it) In total it cose me about $1,800 after tax That is Canadian NOT Amarican
Kevin Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:05 PM   #12
BCLFAKK2
Regular

Kevin

Sounds like a good system which should handle any top line game for the next two years (though two years from now it might not handle top line games very well). If a company makes a game that your computer can't handle, they won't get many sales! I'm assuming this is a Windows system. If its Linux it will still run great, but you'll have to wait a bit (maybe a lot) longer to play EFII. Nothing wrong with spending money to buy something you'll put to good use. It's only money spent on stuff we don't use which is wasted.

I'm jealous. Someday I hope I too can play games at 1600 by 1200 resolution.

Enjoy the system

BCL
BCLFAKK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:01 AM   #13
Corridale
Addict

Hopfully this time next year i shall have a new computer
Old 11-18-2002, 09:10 AM   #14
duey
Experienced

> Quick question will my new custesm built computer that has
> 2100 AMD proseser and GF Ti4400 work with EF2?

You might be able to get 15-20 fps on that with the Doom 3 E3 demo [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

j/k, I have no idea what you'd get.....my crappy Kyro II card won't be able to run it, from what I heard. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Duey
duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #15
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

It'll be faster than that. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm guessing 30 - 60, depending on your settings.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:51 PM   #16
Kevin Chapman
Veteran

If it makes you feel better my new computer is cooked and cerntly having diagnostics beeing dune to it by a tecnition that has been working on it all day and he said it would only take about 2 hours.
[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Kevin Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote