Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
enfestid
Veteran

Default SiN: Episodes on Alienware Sentia?

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I figured this would be the right spot...

Anyways, I was considering getting an Alienware Sentia for future use, and I was wondering if SiN: Episodes - Emergence plays even decently on it. I know the Sentia isn't meant to be a gaming laptop, but I figured if I at least had this on it then it'd be alright to take to places with me.

So does anyone know if it'd run decently (and, if so, can you say the settings and FPS to expect)? Anyone even have one?
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Xenogenetic
Addict

Default Re: SiN: Episodes on Alienware Sentia?

Don't get an Alienware unless you really really want that cool looking alien head case. Other than the case you can get the exact same computer for a lot less almost anywhere else.

--------------------
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic
Don't get an Alienware unless you really really want that cool looking alien head case. Other than the case you can get the exact same computer for a lot less almost anywhere else.
Don't mean to sound rude, but you obviously don't know what I'm looking at -- the Sentia is a cheap laptop that isn't a graphics powerhouse. I just happen to prefer Alienware systems. Expensive, yes, but worth it if you build it right.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #4
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

It probably won't work as it uses an integrated GPU (Intel® GMA 950 Extreme Graphics).

--------------------
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Gothmog
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Gothmog

Nasty! Intergrated graphics are never pleasant, if it does run, it'll be like a diesel fueled Lada running on vegetable oil; I wouldn't take the gamble, were it me. You would get away with older 3D games, such as Quake III, maybe even Battlefield 1942. I think that you would be hard pressed to get Emergence or any other game this side of HL2 working nicely; at least not the graphically intensive games.
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Grandpapa
Fanatic

I agree with both, Ertertwert and Gothmog. No episodes with it.
Grandpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Xenogenetic
Addict

How is it worth it if you build it right?

--------------------
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogenetic
How is it worth it if you build it right?
If you build it with the specifications you want, it's worth it if you ask me.

Question: do you even own an Alienware computer or laptop? If not, then how can you say? Normally when people say they hate a certain brand they've never even had any experience with it.

Just my opinion. Obviously we differ... who cares? I'm not saying you should or shouldn't like the brand, so please start a new topic if you want to debate whether Alienware sucks or not
Old 07-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
ertertwert
Fanboy

He was just commenting on how they are completely overpriced - that has nothing to do with opinion. Granted, not many people want to purchase every part from Newegg and then build it themselves.

--------------------
Old 07-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Xenogenetic
Addict

My friend had an Alienware and it sounded like an airplane, but I never mentioned performance before, its price. I got my computer's hardware upgrades off of newegg :S.

--------------------
Old 07-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertertwert
He was just commenting on how they are completely overpriced - that has nothing to do with opinion. Granted, not many people want to purchase every part from Newegg and then build it themselves.
Actually, that's an opinion yet again
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
ertertwert
Fanboy

Technicality... I shouldn't have said "overpriced" - I should have said "more expensive than." Alienware is indeed "more expensive" than purchasing every part on Newegg - always.

--------------------
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
JoelF
Veteran

You're also paying for the name. As they said, it is cheaper to build it yourself when it comes to desktop PCs. It has been for a long time. As for laptops, well, you more or less get what it comes with. IMHO, if you want to actually get your money's worth out of it, go with a barebones laptop. Far as I know, the options on most laptops aren't really buildable (esp. graphics chips - if it's integrated, that's usually how it stays). I'm having the dilemma right now with my future laptop purchase: how my graphics horsepower ought I to get?

Anyways, you can get something cheaper with similar power from a built to order vendor like Asus. Sure, you love Alienware, and more power to you, spend what you want, it's your money. I happen to think it's a far wiser decision for someone like myself to spend the money on a relatively uncustomizable high end HP due to the excellent support and coverage they provide. It'll cost me a few hundred more than the Asus in question, most likely, but hey. You get what you pay for, most of the time...

And yes: IGP = not good for gaming, save in titles usually three graphical generations or so ago. It's a generalization, but hey.
JoelF is offline   Reply With Quote