Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes

Old 05-14-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
gaga9999

Default Pricing on future episodes?

Hi, I kinda like the game, but

will all episodes cost the same. Given that this was about 3hr of playtime, its seems a little bit to pricy, sorry. HL2 was ~40$ and was way longer. So 7-9 episodes are planed I heard, multiple bei 20$ his would be 180$. Sorry again. Change the pricing I am willing
to buy more, other then that Sin episodes ... not to be continued (for me)
gaga9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Lord_Rick
Experienced

Default Re: Pricing on future episodes?

I can't believe you finished the game in 3 hours. I wasn't counting but it took me something around 6. The fact is, a lot of FPS games that will cost you $50 in the US are not much longer than that. games like Call of Duty, Doom 3, FEAR, you can complete them in a day easily.
Lord_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Scared
Casual

try putting the sliders all the way to max, thats hard ^_^ this is my second time around and ive done that...im almost up to the chaingunners [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

i think that $20 is good for this. so far for my $20 i have gotten:
Sin1 + MP
SiN: Emergence
"The Arena" *not yet released

if we keep getting these littel 'extras' then i tihnk that $20 is a good deal [i know they can only put on wages of sin, but they still ahve things like MP to add]
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Booshy
Regular

Considering Im on my 3rd playthrough trying to find all the secrets, then hardcops mode, and then the inclusion of multiplayer, I can't help feeling this is great value for money. This has already entertained me longer than most FPS's and I'm still not bored of it.

I dont really think its fair to bundle the price togther, yeah it may come to 180 dollars, but that would also be buying you a 50-60 hour FPS, not including multiplayer. If it becomes cheaper, then I wouldnt complain, but im more than happy to pay my ten quid, if only to reward the developers for their efforts. Consider that this is only a few quid less than a monthly payment to World of Warcraft or Everquest, I dont think its much to ask for at all.
Booshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
motoko2030
Experienced

I feel the same way, on my first playthrough, it took me around about 5 to 6 hours to complete it and I loved every moment of it. I found the $17.95 price tag(since I pre-ordered it through Steam and got a discount) to be very reasonable, since it came with Sin 1 (which I had never played before until I pre-ordered Emergence), Sin 1 MP, Emergence and the Arena mode when it is released.

Valve are doing the same episodic delivery system, they are delivering 3 to 4 Half Life 2 episodes at $20, each one that I read lasts 3 to 4 hours.
motoko2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
enfestid
Veteran

Booshy, with all due respect, I think you're smoking something.

I love the game just as much as anyone in here, but $20 is too much per episode if you're going to get them all. And it won't be 50 to 60 hours for most people. It will probably be between 27 and 54 hours (going off what many people are saying -- 3 to 6 hours to finish, multiply by 9 for each episode). That's a lot of gaming, but it's not $180 worth. I believe it's fair to say $180, too, because that's what you're paying for it. Why sugarcoat it?

You may pay monthly payments for MMO games, but that's why a lot of people don't play MMO games, myself included. I'm sorry, but I can't justify spending close to $200 on what is pretty much one game -- I don't care if you get to play as Jesus, it's too much money.

I'm just being honest here. Most people hate this episodic idea because of the price point. I like it for the games and it's a nice distraction, but I also hate it for the price point.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Lord_Rick
Experienced

you make a fair point enfestid, but i agree with booshy. Perhaps because i am one of those who pays for MMO games, perhaps its because ive been a sin fan since the first game. Yes, it does seem a lot of money, but im likely to spend that much money on 2 or 3 regular games that i won't get nearly as much fun out of.
Lord_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert

I don't intend this statement towards anyone in particular, but people REALLY need to stop comparing games by the hours. For me, I'll take quality over quantity ANY day. Game hours mean next to nothing when you have replayablility, and the dynamic difficulty of this game makes it very replayable.

Contra III is one of my favorite games ever, and it's maybe an hour long.
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
nba1341
Casual

why the hell do people base a game on how many hours of gameplay it has

thats the stupiest thing I have ever heard and never seen someone do this till sin/hl2 eps where announced.
nba1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

The current price is fine, preloading drops the price to around 11.

Which is cheaper than buying a DVD movie. A new release DVD movie is anything from 16 to 20 here in London.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
ertertwert
Fanboy

Peoeple have always said "this game is too short, blah blah blah" but you're right - ever since the episodic format was announced, people all of a sudden speak as if length makes or breaks a game.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
WhoZeDuke
Rookie

i LOVE emergence. length is not a factor. While it may be short, it has a lot of replay value. I have beaten it twice already. I'm definately buying all the rest.
WhoZeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
PrivateNewbie
Regular

The Price is fine, quit complaining!!1 180 dollars over three years is nothing... cheaper than any massive multiplayer game on the market... or any other game for that matter.
PrivateNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ertertwert:
Peoeple have always said "this game is too short, blah blah blah" but you're right - ever since the episodic format was announced, people all of a sudden speak as if length makes or breaks a game.
When you're paying $20 for an unfinished storyline it does.

The game you're getting is incomplete. Basically, you're paying $180 for a complete game. Since the amount of time doesn't matter, why don't we just say that? Sure, maybe it'll be 50 hours, but you're paying $180 for a full game -- each episode isn't really much of a separate game.

You can generalize it all you want, but $180 is $180. I don't know how many of you guys have money out the wazzoo, but I certainly don't.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrivateNewbie:
The Price is fine, quit complaining!!1 180 dollars over three years is nothing... cheaper than any massive multiplayer game on the market... or any other game for that matter.
When was the last time you paid $180 for a game? Including expansion packs. I don't think I ever have. And it may be cheaper than any MMO, yeah, but that's why a lot of people don't like MMO games. This isn't an MMO -- it's a single storyline told in a singleplayer enviornment, and after all the episodes are up you will not be getting upgraded content likely.

Quote:
Originally posted by WhoZeDuke:
i LOVE emergence. length is not a factor. While it may be short, it has a lot of replay value. I have beaten it twice already. I'm definately buying all the rest.
I love it too. Maybe I'll buy the rest, but only if it doesn't cost me $180 total.

Quote:
Originally posted by nba1341:
why the hell do people base a game on how many hours of gameplay it has

thats the stupiest thing I have ever heard and never seen someone do this till sin/hl2 eps where announced.
Some people do. I don't. I love Emergence and think it was worth $20... what's not worth it is paying $180 for one game, regardless of how long it is. And if you're referring to me as stupid, I never said anything along those lines. In fact, no one did. Read the topic.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
ertertwert
Fanboy

But that's the thing - you AREN'T paying 180 for the "full game." Trust me, they would make their "full game" maybe two or three episodes - not the 9 they have planned. Show me a "full game" that has the scope and length of the planned 9 episodes.

What would be a better argument is to say they have planned three "full games" and that three episodes is one "full game."
Old 05-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #16
enfestid
Veteran

OK. Oblivion or Morrowind. There you go -- a game that has the same scope and length.

And the "length"? That's funny... a moment ago it didn't benefit you to talk about length, but now that it does that's what you're touting. You should really make up your mind if you're going to argue about it -- does length matter or doesn't it?

It's funny that when length matters to you then you use it to your advantage. As soon as you made the assumption that 3 episodes equals a game you considered length to matter. And, just remember this -- that's still $60 for 18 hours or less of content (and that's going under the assumption it takes you 6 hours each episode... which I highly doubt it will take the average gamer). For some people it'd be 6 hours for 3 episodes.

So, let's get off the topic of game length since it doesn't matter (remember?). You're paying $180 for a full storyline.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #17
ertertwert
Fanboy

Are you kidding me? I bring up the length because you say they chopped it up into 9 bits. Mind boggling...

Oh, and it should go without saying I was talking about FPS's - not RPG's in first person view.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
ertertwert
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally posted by enfestid:
So, let's get off the topic of game length since it doesn't matter (remember?). You're paying $180 for a full storyline.
Alright! Now you are talking! Just to let you know, that is not the same as saying full game. But you are correct (for once), you ARE paying 180 for the full storyline. Congrats! Good dective work there.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I bring up the length because you say they chopped it up into 9 bits. Mind boggling...

Oh, and it should go without saying I was talking about FPS's - not RPG's in first person view.
Can you state where I said that? I'd love to know. Thanks.

A game is a game. Doesn't need to be an FPS to have a scope just as big. Is there some sort of validity in paying $180 for an FPS over an RPG?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by enfestid:
Alright! Now you are talking! Just to let you know, that is not the same as saying full game. But you are correct (for once), you ARE paying 180 for the full storyline. Congrats! Good dective work there.
You really should work on your sarcasm. Normally an opinion isn't right or wrong -- it's an opinion. So, I've been correct in that it's been my opinion all along. Kthxbye
Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
ertertwert
Fanboy

What do yo mean, can I state where you said that? You didn't - *I* did. I was speaking of FPS's in general - not any game on the pc format.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
What do yo mean, can I state where you said that? You didn't - *I* did. I was speaking of FPS's in general - not any game on the pc format.
Give me some proof of it. I haven't edited my posts at all except to add more quotes. Where did I say that?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
ertertwert
Fanboy

You really need reading comprehension...
Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #23
enfestid
Veteran

Quote:
You really need reading comprehension...
Guess I do, because I can't find it. If you're so certain I said it I'd love to see where I typed that out. Could you find it for me? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #24
CommanderZx2
Fanboy

Just ignore enfestid, it's just posting to get people worked up.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #25
PunchPudding
Rookie

$180 is the price of three (maybe four if you get some good deals) regular games. For all the episodes to be released it will take four years. To follow the Sin Episodes it will cost you the price of a game a year. Each episode comes with extra stuff (MP, Sin1, Co-op, etc), all new content, a self-contained story, and new technology upgrades to the engine; in other words a full (budget-priced) package. If it's something you like, you'll pay for it.

Some people buy a new NBA or NFL game every year at $60 a year. Some people paid $30 for each of the Lord of the Rings DVD when they came out. You could say they ended up paying $90 dollars for what is essentially one movie, or you could just say they bought what they wanted.

Would a price drop be nice? Of course, but I really don't have much basis for complaining about the current price.
PunchPudding is offline   Reply With Quote