Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN Episodes > SiN Episodes: Emergence

Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
motoko2030
Experienced

Default Gamespot review

Gamespot has reviewed Emergence and the score that they gave is a 7.3 out of 10, click on Gamespot review for the review.
motoko2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
ertertwert
Fanboy

Send a message via AIM to ertertwert
Default Re: Gamespot review

Quote:
dialogue has a distinct lack of wisecracking
Did that make anyone else laugh?
ertertwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
enfestid
Veteran

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person who loved the only 3 weapons part of the game.
enfestid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
motoko2030
Experienced

I too liked the 3 weapons part of the game, when you have a pistol, a shotgun, an assault rifle and a missile launcher to kill the mutant boss or destroy an enemy chopper then using a missile launcher makes the fight be over much quicker than without it.
motoko2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:04 AM   #5
Scared
Casual

i usually ignore GameSpot reviews, they have just gotten worse imo
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Smoke39
Regular

Personally, I think three weapons was reasonable considering this is only one episode.
Smoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #7
ertertwert
Fanboy

No, you're not the only one. Granted, had this game been 15 or 20 hours long, yeah I would have gotten annoyed with only 3 weapons. But for a 3-5 hour game? It's pefect. Any more and you would have useless guns. In this game, every weapon gets used.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 AM   #8
WretchedSpawn
Regular

It sounds like a lot of his complaints concerning the game actually stem from a dislike of the genre in general (please note how he also seems to hate Sin 1)... That in mind I'm not sure that he's really the best person to have reviewing FPS's but whatever, that's Gamespot's call.

More than 3 weapons in a 4-5 hour game would have been ridiculous. Which is why we should be glad he's a critic and not a developer... Plus he seems to be severely downplaying the magnum as "just another pistol" when in actual fact it packs a huge punch (One hit kills? I don't remember ever doing that with the pistol in Doom 3, or Quake 2, or Half-Life, or Call of Duty, etc.). For comparison purposes, it's a lot closer to HL2's magnum (but with more ammo!) than it is to HL2's pistol (god that thing was useless...).

However, I concede that he also made a few good points to go with the several bad ones...
WretchedSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #9
Scared
Casual

i hope you mean close to the magnum as in power....not model [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #10
WretchedSpawn
Regular

Aye, that I do [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
WretchedSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:44 AM   #11
Adol

Quote:
Originally posted by WretchedSpawn:...HL2's pistol (god that thing was useless...).
If you charged the pistol it can be devastating. Most enemies and players drop dead when an entire mag is emptied into them.
Adol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 AM   #12
ertertwert
Fanboy

I never understood if that was a bug or a feature.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 AM   #13
Shoelip
Experienced

Gamespot reviews are far too dependant on hype. They almost always give high hype games better scores and low hype games worse scores.

Here's a great quote that made me say "WTF?!"

"The new game also seems resigned to being purely derivative, so don't go in expecting anything other than a pretty good Half-Life 2 clone, with less style and more flash."

If you read the rest of the review than you'll notice that pretty much all of his complaints are things that are wrong with HL2 as well. Except it's longer and has less interesting characters.
Shoelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Tero
Casual

I agree as well, three weapons are enough for first episode, same goes for enemies. And the enemies are only as hard as you are, if you play poorly there's a good chance the grunts are just going to stand there.

I have a feeling that now people will hate SiN: E, but when they learn how the dynamic difficulty system works and Blade's voice comes back they start to love it.
Tero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
DI_MeisterM
Experienced

A few things are true in the review:
- the price
- the game's length
- 3 weapons
- not much Blade talk
- no cutscenes with Blade / too much Gordon Freeman like cutscenes

The rest sounds utter crap for me. I wouldn't enjoy the game if it would be a HL2 clone, because I hate HL2 [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But hey, it's only a review. I hope these kind of bad/average reviews won't stop Ritual continuing SiN Episodes.
DI_MeisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #16
KalZakath
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by DI_MeisterM:
But hey, it's only a review. I hope these kind of bad/average reviews won't stop Ritual continuing SiN Episodes.
Gamespot creep further towards useless reviewing with every game they get their hands on. Years ago, GS was a good site for gamers - now, it's home to hastily written reviews on far too many games, and those reviews are increasingly driven by points that should be irrelevant.

At the moment, I don't think enough people count on those reviews to damage a game's reputation. Sure, some people will read them and decide immediately - but then those people are destined to do that, because there are many more places as bad or worse than GS, some of them being magazines (especially in the UK - gaming press is rubbish, dishonest and driven by fear of publishers removing adverts after bad reviews - save a few exceptions such as Edge magazine, who regularly beat on the big industry players when it's needed).

I feel certain there'll be enough quality reviews of Sin:E to offset the bad ones.
KalZakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #17
hahnchen
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by KalZakath:
Years ago, GS was a good site for gamers - now, it's home to hastily written reviews on far too many games, and those reviews are increasingly driven by points that should be irrelevant.

There are many more places as bad or worse than GS, some of them being magazines (especially in the UK - gaming press is rubbish, dishonest and driven by fear of publishers removing adverts after bad reviews - save a few exceptions such as Edge magazine, who regularly beat on the big industry players when it's needed).

No, if anything, Gamespot have gotten better of late. I still think they're absolute tripe, in comparison to actual gaming magazines. The thing is, the journalists in print magazines normally know how to write in an interesting and amusing fashion, as well as know their games.

At least the online guys no longer overrate everything that came towards them in a pathetic attempt to up their advertising revenue as used to happen in the early days. Something that Biffo commented on during his Digitiser days. Still, Edge is probably most out in front in the UK press, although PCZ and PCG seem to be alright. Not bought them for years though.
hahnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
KalZakath
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnchen:
No, if anything, Gamespot have gotten better of late. I still think they're absolute tripe, in comparison to actual gaming magazines. The thing is, the journalists in print magazines normally know how to write in an interesting and amusing fashion, as well as know their games.

At least the online guys no longer overrate everything that came towards them in a pathetic attempt to up their advertising revenue as used to happen in the early days. Something that Biffo commented on during his Digitiser days. Still, Edge is probably most out in front in the UK press, although PCZ and PCG seem to be alright. Not bought them for years though.
Hmm, very good points there [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I agree, the print guys have an approach to writing that's world's apart to online guys - I guess because of the way they got there. Proven skills required for print reviews, internet connection and "I love games" badge required for online reviews [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would agree with the UK mags comment - some of the bigger names such as PCZ and PCG seemed to have cleaned their acts up a little - however Edge did indicate (during one of it's rants about the "reviews for adverts" practice) that one of those mags was partaking - how often it happens I don't know, but I think it still does [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The comment was some time ago - over a year.

I generally find mainstream mags to be pointless - just their presentation, and the number of cover stories with exclamation/bang symbols (!) after them screams "NO" [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"Free back cover with this issue! Exclusive!"
"Six-page monster review of Fifa 2006! That's right we filled 6 pages and it's not all pictures! (We have big fonts too!)" [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For me, Edge is the holiest of publications - one month they're visiting a developer, getting the gossip on an upcoming release. Next month, they're reviewing the game, and saying just how disappointing it is to play - people expect this of Edge, and Edge is the only magazine that gets away with it consistently (telling the truth that is), and is STILL invited back to developers for interviews [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] They bash Nintendo, and the next month Miyamoto does a 3-page interview - quality stuff. Thing is tho, and I'd wager many Edge readers agree, we don't read edge for reviews and scores - we read it for guides and information [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (And some of the best interviews/articles in the industry)
Old 05-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #19
rsamuel66

I think the review was spot on. The first foray into "episodic" gaming really is turning out to be a failure.

I often disagree with Gamespot's review, but Greg Kasavin's review of Sin: Episodes was spot on. If you don't have a white-hot story to tell, together with innovative gameplay that goes beyond the tired old "whack a baddie" option, then releasing a game in expensive episodes is really totally pointless.

The future of pc gaming aren't "episodes": "expansion packs" are the way to go - see Fear: Extraction Point, Half Life 2: Episode 1; etc.

The worst thing about Sin: E is how derivative it is of HL2 - with none of the jaw dropping moments that game had.

Overall, Sin: E is decent, good in parts; but instantly forgettable. Instead of wasting time designing "Moveable titties," the game producers should focus on creating an immersive story and an immersive environment.

ricardo

ricardo
rsamuel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #20
deceiver
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to deceiver Send a message via MSN to deceiver

That's the problem with some of the reviews and complaints, they seem to consider sin episodes: emergence as a game and not an EPISODE as a whole. Episodic will never get its chance to flourish if they do that to any future episodic title...
deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #21
CamperJoe
Casual

Gamespot failed to see the meaning of episodic gaming, therefor this review is not worth a read.
CamperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #22
hahnchen
Experienced

I don't think the Gamespot article misses the point entirely when it comes to episode. Emergence can be seen as a pilot, if people don't like the pilot, they're not going to tune in next time are they? Your casual gamer isn't going to notice the great community/developer feedback loop that's going on are they?

And if they're judging the episodes entirely separately, then you can be sure that if future episodes are better, than the score will go up.
hahnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
Zinfacter
Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rsamuel66:
I think the review was spot on. The first foray into "episodic" gaming really is turning out to be a failure.

I often disagree with Gamespot's review, but Greg Kasavin's review of Sin: Episodes was spot on. If you don't have a white-hot story to tell, together with innovative gameplay that goes beyond the tired old "whack a baddie" option, then releasing a game in expensive episodes is really totally pointless.

The future of pc gaming aren't "episodes": "expansion packs" are the way to go - see Fear: Extraction Point, Half Life 2: Episode 1; etc.

The worst thing about Sin: E is how derivative it is of HL2 - with none of the jaw dropping moments that game had.

Overall, Sin: E is decent, good in parts; but instantly forgettable. Instead of wasting time designing "Moveable titties," the game producers should focus on creating an immersive story and an immersive environment.

ricardo

ricardo
Hey, this post doesn't make any sense. You said episodic content is not the wave of the future, then you mention something about expansion packs and name HL2: Episode 1. <---- that's episodic my silly forum buddy!
Zinfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #24
KalZakath
Experienced

Quote:
Originally posted by Zerufacter:
Hey, this post doesn't make any sense. You said episodic content is not the wave of the future, then you mention something about expansion packs and name HL2: Episode 1. <---- that's episodic my silly forum buddy!
Chuckle [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Indeed, although "expansion pack" has been used to describe HL2:EP1, the intention to release future episodes does make it episodic by definition [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #25
rsamuel66

Quote:
Originally posted by Zerufacter:
[
Well, every expansion pack is "episodic" by definition. The point is that Half Life" Episode 1 is based on a) a strong two game franchise; b) an extension of a complete shooter game. Perhaps I should have been clearer and stated that breaking down a game into episodes (rather than releasing an expansion pack to a successful complete game) isn't going to work unless the first episode is extremely strong.

ricardo
rsamuel66 is offline   Reply With Quote