Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Star Trek Elite Force II > EF2 Editing Forum

Old 04-22-2004, 06:52 AM   #1
synchromesh
Veteran

Default All models have suddenly turned black ??? help :)

Ok for some reason all my models have turned jet black...( Guns and Ships )..almost like there not textured ?????
This has only happened in my particular map

Anyone else encountered this one before ????
Thanks in advance
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
7o'nine
Fanboy

Default Re: All models have suddenly turned black ??? help :)

Make sure that atleast some of the light entities in your map have the "NO_ENTITIES" flag unchecked.
It's best not to make all of the light entities do this as I *think* someone posted here that it could start slowing down the game if too many lights with NO_ENTS unchecked are affecting the player/models

7o'nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Asdfga3
Experienced

Actually, I haven't found a drastic problem with it. Although if your map had 800 characters it might cause some problems. :P

The kicker is that the NO_ENTITIES option is all or nothing. If even one light has it turned off all the models will be affected. Unfortunatly if exactly one light has it off, then most of the models will have no light cast upon them. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

For a brightly lit map it's no big deal, and you should leave it on. But for a darker map, having your entities glowing in th dark looks like hell.
Asdfga3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
7o'nine
Fanboy

Really? I'll have to check that out [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
But, it also depends on the radius of the light. If the player is not within the radius of the light (which has NO_ENTS unchecked) they will not be affected by it.
Try this:
Type "r_light_lines 1" in the console, this will draw a line to the light that is affecting the player/model (the line will also be coloured to the same colour as the light). Set to 0 to turn it off.
Similarly, type "r_light_sun_line 1" to show any sun-lights that are affecting the models (which will only show when you're out in the open under the sky).

You can also put third person on (cg_3rd_person 1) to better see the effect of the light on the character model.

As you walk around with those two commands set to 1, you'll see the various lines connecting to you and shading the model.
So I don't know how many lights it will take before you'll start seeing slowdowns.. but I'm sure it can't be a big number..

[edit]
I should also probably note something I saw with this a long time ago.
While in dev mode I set the light_lines to 1 while checking out a map I was making. Right after that I jumped into a server to play a game (which was set to pure) and found that the light lines were still showing while playing online. (i.e. all the people in the servers had lines connected ot them from the lights) This was ofcourse because I didn't turn it off, but I guess it can be used a bit as a cheat online to see where people are.
[/edit]

[edit2]
Here's the post by BirdDawg that I read before [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
http://www.ritualistic.com//forums/s...=149688#149801
[/edit2]

7o'nine is offline   Reply With Quote