Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 05-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Default QotW: The New Standard

As you all know, Ritual is designing our next few releases, and one of them may or may not be code named "Far Doom of Halo Life 3," according to Tom and Shawn.

Anyway, our new Question of the Week is:

Looking back at all of the major FPS releases of the last year (Halo, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc.), what features would you consider to be the new "must haves" for any new titles that come out this next generation?

Examples would be integrated physics, interactive UI's within the game world, panoramic levels, AI with more I and less A, per-pixel lighting, and steaks that you can beat with a psychic fist.

Also, we're trying to get the word out that we're doing these questions, so if you know of anyone who would have a good answer to these or other questions, send them over here. We want to pick their brains, too.
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
kevin442
Fanboy

Default Re: QotW: The New Standard

Hands Down, I think physics is the new standard in todays games. If you look at Half Life 2, Far Cry (superb games) they have excellent physics and having physics in games adds alot of replay value I think as you can pretty much have fun with it.

Next, I think AI is also a new standard in todays games. For Example, SWAT 4's AI is pretty good. No mission is ever the same as when you die and restart, the enemies are not spawned in the same areas.
kevin442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Tempest
Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Tempest

Definetly the reality (life like) of any game is the best feature. This includes the Physics, textureing and lighting. If the balance of all the features is right, it makes for a game that is fun to enjoys.

PS, A bad feature of any game, is to have to install a STEAM like application to run a game. Just ludicrous crap that is.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #4
M3rl1n
Veteran

Without a doubt interactive GUI’s were the biggest thing to come to gaming - the possibilities for interactive environments literally shot right through the roof.

Doom 3 only just scratched the surface of what you could do and yet it was still impressive.

Physics are a toss up - they give the game a polished feel (which is nice/semi-important) but no game has yet really made any substantial use of them and I still think most rag doll physics look like crap.

No one dies like they represent - a death animation to START the rag doll on the right track is still needed as far as I can see, and less wobbling and giggling would be nice to - once the average person hit the ground they’re 180 lbs of dead weight.

If you’re making an open terrain map I’d definitely say that following in FarCry’s footsteps is the way to go. It was impressive. No doubt.

One thing I will add: if you’re going to have physics it’s important to include the ability to interact and use the objects that are being affected by said physics.

For example:

You’re in a bar and a fight breaks out, and you interact with a table to flip it over.

Or you’re waiting for the ‘impending attack of doom’ and can stack crates, boxes, or cement blocks to build defensive positions (and/or you see other AI characters doing the same).

Or you need to hold a room against an attack and can stack objects against the door.

Or you can stack crates in order to get up on a nearby roof that the level designer hints at but is more a secret that allows for open-ended game play.

The key is being able to interact with the physics.

BUT, if you include this ability (or any ability) it's important to introduce players to it so they know it’s there and know to look for it.

One more thing that jumped to my mind - a full range of good animations is important. A LOT of companies are investing in mo-cap (Raven, for example, just built a $100,000 studio for Quake 4 - Bioware and LucasArts have used mo-cap in there recent games) and it pays off.

If an actor in a movie couldn't act with there body they wouldn't be actors very long - animations are a key to immersion.
M3rl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
Xenogenetic
Addict

Everything people have posted here sounds good to me, especially physics and you and the AI using physics effectively. Somethine I would like to see, along with a rig that could handle it, is some of this new fangled lighting everyone is talking about. If anyone here has played sourceforts, the HL2 mod, I would definately like something like that, but single player, and not such obvious building material (i.e. barrels, wood planks, crates instead of nicely colored walls and boxes all of the same dimensions).
Xenogenetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:08 AM   #6
STATIC3D
Addict

As long as "Far Doom of Halo Life 3" is code for SiN ][, then that's kul. :}

1) Proper physics, and, the tool(s) to utilize them within the game. This includes the fact that the physics don't just mean "floaty" light weight objects. In other words, bumping into a barrel (made of steel) should not cause it to fall like a dead helium ballon. But, using psi power to levitate/move something should operate on a less-mass level (ala Psi-Ops for XBOX).

2) HUMOR. While not "that" apparent in many FPS released games (beyond the occasional inside/little joke), this is something there NEEDS to be more of. It's one of those little things that is easily overlooked that helps to get players "into" the game. Attitude without humor just turns characters into clones of all those other "bada$$", stubble faced, loners/etc.

3) Realistic damage. Along the line of physics but for weapons. When playing in an office environment with cubicles, bullets should be able to penetrate softer/thinner materials. In other words, not EVERY surface should stop bullets like a 1ft thick concrete wall.

4) Envrionmental intertactivity. It's nice to be able to "see" all these neat objects and gizmos in a game, but not being able to DO anything with them simply makes them nothing more than window dressing. It's "pretty" but doesn't do much for gameplay.

5) Give me gameplay or give me death! WAY too many games are relying SO much on how "cool" the visuals look, yet, they fail to put the same level of effort into the gameplay. Sorry, but I purchase and play games for ONE reason, to have FUN. If I'm not having fun, I don't care HOW pretty the game is.

6) Weapons that are USEFUL. I've found so many of the recently released games come down to the typical "fill in the checkbox" armory that fail to do anything else. Sure, they are included, but, if I spend 90% of my time using 1 or 2 of them (due to effectiveness, or lack thereof by the others), then what was the point? There needs to be a good variety of weapons that provide useful to the player.

7) Good story AND delivery of that story. This goes in line with focusing too much on certain aspects of a game and failing in other areas. A good story goes a LONG way in being able to get players "into" the game. The story doesn't have to be "edgy" or "hip(hop)", simply good. As for delivery, the story needs to be set up in the early part of the game. Then, it needs to flow out, with major points coming after a boss battle. Give the player something to hold onto (beyond just the battle) as incentive to head into the next leg of the journey. Then, leading up to the end TEASE the player with some upcoming things. Leave them wanting more (aka drawing their interest into/thru the final battle). Finally, provide an ending that does more than JUST tie up the loose ends. Not to dwell on SiN, but, it did a good job of the story telling aspect. (hint: think good comic books, novels, movies, etc.)

8) Sound. I know many ppl may not "think" about it. But sound can play a VERY important part of a game. It helps create mood/atmosphere. It helps (or tricks) players to determine what is coming. In terms of music, it can really get a player's blood going. Weapons sounds NEED to make an impact. For example, the UT default pistol has more of a punch than the UT2003/2004 Assault Rifle (not to mention being easier to get kills with). The sound difference alone would make me want to use the pistol. It just makes more of an impact.

9) Squad based tactics (at least the ability to control/give orders) for team AI in battle based situations. Doing something "by yourself" is fun. But, with the better quality of AI coming out nowadays, having the ability to direct a team (at least in limited situations, or, offline multiplayer team games) is a good thing.

10) Varied Levels. Some games (coff DooM 3 coff) offered SO little variety that it was just ridiculous. Other games offered a good deal of variety within the levels. Sometimes it was within a single level. Other times it was from one section of the game to another. In any case, variety within the levels is a good thing. Not to mention any Spry type levels should be included. :}

I've found myself going BACK to some older games that offered more "fun" than some of the newer released titles in many cases. Halo 2, meh. I just don't "get" this whole "greatest FPS" label so many ppl put on it. I've played better looking, more interesting, and, more fun games for MANY years before it. Perhaps it's "console only" players that view it this way. That's fine. But, sales figures do not equal gameplay quality. Then again, I don't think this is much of an issue with those of us SiN fans here on the Rit forum. I mean, we all KNOW that SiN was a better "game" than Half-Life. :}
STATIC3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
ran93r
Addict

Realism is nice but having fun is better
Physics are nice but badly done physics detract from the gameplay
Lush graphics are nice but smooth framerates are better
NO F**K*NG AI SQUADMATES EVAR !!
Voice acting needs to be movie quality or just don't include it at all, cheesy radio ad voice actors just don't cut it (that said, you have never had bad voice acting yet so.. )
Multi platform titles are all well and good but when I play a PC title and I can see and feel that it's a console port, I wont play it much.
Story IS important
RPG elements in a FPS are nice - crafting weapon upgrades, increasing the level of or buying new skills, having control over how effective your character is in certain areas - for example choosing sniper benefits over run & gun - 2 different styles of gameplay - making for increased replay value.

oh and cheaper epic mounts [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
ran93r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 AM   #8
HumpX

For all the shooters that have ever been produced so few devs have gotten the actual "shooter" part down pat. When I say "shooter" I'm not referring to the weapons themselves (though they should be fun to use alone) but the actual visceral reaction one has when killing his/her enemies. A good example of getting this part right was the original Soldier of Fortune. The ability to blow off limbs was revolutionary and CENTRAL to the enjoyment of that game. Unfortunately both SoF 1 & 2 came before true ragdolls were implemented so the appeal wore off somewhat quickly. 2 better and more recent examples of games that have nailed the shooting part was Painkiller and resident Evil 4. There were other games previous to Painkiller that had physics and ragdolls implemented (UT2k3 comes to mind) but PK was really the first to bring that feature to the forefront and make it a central part of its game play. I still remember the addictive rush I got when after killing an NPC I was still able to keep shooting the body and it would get blown across the floor as if I were using a firehose. The shotgun literally blew NPC's back off their feet in a realistic manner making you feel POWERFUL. A good shooting model should make you feel like like a complete badass. Each shot from your shotty that you connect with should be like eating a potato chip, the actually shooting part needs to be fun and addictive in and of itself. As I said, very few developers get this right IMO. The devs of Resident Evil 4 (Capcom), while not using any real-time physics per-se, obviously spent a HUGE amount of time getting the shooting part right. NPCs physically react to each shot you make. Shoot one in the knee and they react wildly and clutch at the wounded area. Hit one with a shotgun blast and you hear the shot impacting the flesh while the upper body literally jerks backward and explodes in shower of REALISTIC gibbage (not the stylized Q3 or Ut variety). I realize these things have been implemented in previous games but in RE4 its done so well that while you literally kill thousands of NPC's by the end of the game, the shooting part never gets old, not once. If any of you gentlemen at Ritual haven't played either one of these games, I strongly urge you you to do so, stat.

To sum it up, the shooting part of a FPS should:

1.) have the weapon itself be fun simply to shoot at nothing. Does that assault rifle make your sphincter pucker when you pull the trigger? When you shoot that laser at the ground does it create an anemic little spark or does it erupt in a loud "CRACK" sending bits/chunks of soil and smoke upward? When you see what it does to the ground you can't wait to see what it'll do to an NPC's flesh. Instead of just a little smoke have the flesh literally BOIL at the wound site along with gouts of reddish steam and a loud scream from the NPC. If you instatntaneously superheated the inside of a melon to 10,000 degrees kelvin how do you imagine that would look? Thats what shooting an NPC should look like You should feel like a fricking god at that moment.
2.) shooting at NPC's and even stationary objects should be an addictive act in and of itself. When you kill something you should be gritting your teeth and feeling like a complete badass.
this can be acheived by
a.) making the impact sounds of the projectile exagerrated. ie; bullets should hit an NPC body with a loud meaty *THUMP* that can be heard over the sound ofthe weapon firing (though not in an unrealistic maner)
b) visual reaction to a shot. the NPC's body should jerk from the impact of the shot while at the same time it should grab at the entry point in the same manner a real person would. Both these actions should be somewhat exagerrated. If in doubt, refer back to RE4 ( you DID play that like I asked, correct?)
c.) Destructible body parts a-la SoF. A huge amount of work for the artists and programmers to be sure but imagine this feature on a modern engine like Doom 3 or Unreal 3 tech.

Anyhow, thats my 2 bits.

Good luck to you Ritual guys, I thoroughly enjoy your work (EF2 is, IMO, one of the more underrated games of the past couple of years) and will pray that oneday a publisher will come to their senses and underwrite the making of Sin II. Until then I look foward to your upcoming titles [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

reagrds

-TJ "HumpX" Landry
HumpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #9
Xenogenetic
Addict

I just thought of an awesome idea, how about whenever you are about to play a co-operative part of a game you automatically connect to the net to the lowest ping server and instead of horrible computer allies you can play it like multiplayer co-op? Thats what I want in my next FPS now.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
SpaecKow
Content Editor, Ritualistic.com

Storytelling man. Better writing that can measure up to the best in hollywood, not the best in gaming. So while Deus Ex and Planescape Torment were fun to play especially because of their stories, they would still be a relatively cheap cyberpunk rag and fantasy droll respectively. What games need is better stories. We need our own pulp fictions and terminators.

And it's not just about the writing, games need to have their own way of telling stories. Right now games tell stories by jerking controls away from a player and basically playing a little movie. This is fair enough because it's the easy, logical and simple solution to the problem. But already people see that things can be done better, for example Valve is trying to tell the whole story completely from the players perspective... with variable success, but none the less the game is trying something different.

I get a little tired of games jerking the controls away from me suddenly as I trigger a cutscene. There's GOT to be a better way. I guess it will take quite a smartey man to pull it off...
SpaecKow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
Michael_Russell
Roaming QA Ronin

Great posts so far.

Also, I'd like to welcome new visitors from Blue's News, the first online news site to run that we were doing these.
Michael_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Evil_Timmy

1) Multiple distinct paths within levels. The Rebellion level in Far Cry is a top notch example of this. There's at least three distinct paths you can take through the level, and probably 80% of the level is on one of those paths (the beginning and end are the same). This adds to the replayability of the level, and your general sense of freedom. The feeling of always having to run down corridors with all but one door locked can get to feel a bit silly after the first few dozen times.

2) Upgradable weapons. Deus Ex pulled this off pretty well, allowing you to add mods to weapons to increase any number of aspects about it. By later in the game (or a repeated run-through), you figured out which guns you liked best and which mods helped your playstyle, and ended up with a distinct set of weapons that fit you well.

3) Choices that make a difference. Again, something that Deus Ex did well. Towards the end of the game, your chopper is sitting in a bay, and there's a shifty mechanic hanging around. If you ignore him, at the start of your next mission, your pilot and helicopter get blown up shortly after dropping you off. However, if you talk to the mechanic and scare him off, no bomb is planted, your pilot survives, and you're rewarded when he picks you up at the end of the mission. That level of interactivity, where something that doesn't even appear to be a choice can affect the storyline, gives you that much more of a feel that you're involved in the game.

4) Powerful feel for weapons. You're going to be given a whole arsenal of tools for wreaking havoc on tides of enemies, so why should it look and sound like it has the same ferocity as a weed whacker? Sound is the most often ignored aspect of this, so make sure that every action of every gun sounds distinct, from spent shells clanking on the ground to the whine of an energy weapon recharging. Lighting, on the model and in the game world, is also important, as it needs to convey the power of the projectile/whatever. And, finally, be careful of overdoing guns to the point they look ridiculous. Think through it logically, and consider what vital parts should be in a gun and what would actually be detrimental to the user, then base the model around that.

Okay, okay, I'm done for now, really. Good luck with your project and thanks for being so solicitous of the community, Michael.
Evil_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
theAntiELVIS

Nipples. Characters should have nipples that get hard when it's cold or they are excited (say by killing other characters). This is something games have needed for a long, long time.
theAntiELVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
DoyleStevenYoungblood

One mostly overlooked feature is resolution independance. Several of the latest games do a much better adapting to arbitrary and non-standard resolution. This is important because there will be many more widescreen and HDTV game players than before. Also, I have more extensive thoughts on features that should be in games at my webpage's 3DFPS Wishlist :
http://www.cox-internet.com/youngblood/wishlist.htm
DoyleStevenYoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #15
Virulent
Veteran

It would definitely have to include the words "SIN 2" in the title...
Virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #16
Lairythian

Default Re: QotW: The New Standard - DEFORMABLE TERRAIN !!!

For me, <font color="blue">immersion factor is interactivity with ingame objects,</font> ...to move them, destroy them or perhaps even alter or change them. <font color="blue">...the ultimate phreak down this path would be total interactivity with every object seen on the screen.</font> This would of course include...

<font color="red"> DEFORMABLE TERRAIN !!! </font>
<ul type="square">[*]<font color="blue">Take a Crow Bar and whack something with it long enough or hard enough it WILL leave MORE then a mark or dent. Concrete will crack, crumble and fall apart.</font>[*]<font color="blue"> A Grenade or mortor round WILL leave a good sized crater in the earth, blow apart walls made from wood or drywall.</font>[*]<font color="blue"> A Rocket Launcher WILL leave even a larger crater in the earth and blow apart more metal containers such as automobiles, dumspters and the like. It WILL break apart buildings or take a darn good chunk out of them.</font>[*]<font color="blue"> A Flame Thrower WILL burn wood, trees, and other vegatation and organic life, including the enemy!</font>[/list]Other then that great old classic <font color="blue">Duke Nukem 3D</font>, I still have yet to see a game with such interactivity where, not only can I break glass or mirrors, I can also shoot out the lights, or even use and flush a urinal, or toilet. Or for that matter, even tell a female exotic dancer to "<font color="blue">...Shake it Baby!</font>", while I shell out some green backs!

...and never forget, we all like powerful weapons to blow stuff up! Destruction is RULE #1 in games!!!
just my two cents...
Lairythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #17
Malakai

Number 1 for me in any game is a story line that fits the game and doesnt involve "lets just shoot until everyone is dead then we get to the next level". That was fine back a few years ago but this is the 21st century, we deserve story lines. Deus Ex is my prime example for a storyline that worked well, HL2 for one that didnt (for me anyway)

Freedom of choice as to how you complete the objective is also another good one, Far Cry and Deus Ex being good examples of what i mean. Corridors and locked doors that force you one way or another bore me after 15 minutes of play, and i've even found a general rule for FPS games and T-junctions: Turn left and you'll get where you need to go. Worked in everyone i've played so far.

Physics (incorporating deformable terrain) is also handy, and as others ave mentioned one that isnt just for show, one thats useful. One where you can strack concrete to make a defensive barrier, one where you can blast your way past a locked door because you a) can't be bothered to find the key and have enough ammo to waste or b) there is no key and you have to get past it. Physics like that incorrporated into HL2 where it involved stacking crates or moving sheets of metal are tedious and useless in my mind.

Graphics is a secondary or even tertiary thing for me. I don't mind games that look ugly but play awesomely. True it's nice to have a game that looks so realistic you think it's real life, but i rarely in a game that i';m hooked on look at the scenery and go "oooh doesn't that look nice".

General realism also ranks highly. If you make a WW2 game, don't have some massive rocket launcher that fires 30 rockets in a go. Granted i've never seen one, but you never know, it is the age of console "better have something that looks cool" mentality. Having things like realistic aiming abilities (not pinpoint accuracy all the time) is one thing, and something that Vietcong did wonderfully was the ability to actually duck behind cover and just peep over the top to fire. I hate games (BIA and countless other shooters) where you can see a wonderful crate that gives you cover, but when you crouch behind it you realise that it doesnt cover you're head or if it does, you have to constantly switch between crouched and standing to shoot at someone.

I know that at least one of those points is always missed in todays games and its a shame, because so many games have that potential but they rarely acheive it.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #18
JimmyC
Experienced

I really like games that give you flexability in how you play them. If you want to run through at light speed, the game should allow for that. If I want to creep around with a sniper rifle and not let any players get within 100 yards of my position, I should be allowed to do that as well.

Another thing is realistic objects in the game. If I shoot a wooden door with a rocket launcher, there shouldn't be anymore door when the smoke clears. If I use a flame thrower in an office with curtains and what-not, they should burn.

Finally, I hate to admit it, but I am a graphics whore. I have bought more than one game solely to walk around and look at the graphics in god mode. Probably comes from being a frustrated game designer myself, but I love to pick apart a well designed level and try to figure out how it's put together.
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #19
Kat
Regular

Generally speaking it seems that what ever you do it has to be implimented 'better'. The example of physics mentioned above and the oil barrel you bump into is a classic one 'error'

Personally I'd love to see more interaction with AI, not just more 'animations' or more 'chat', but the way they behave and react to what's going on around them (in real time rather than a cutscene or cinimatic..!).

Co-Op... surely this can be done if intigrated or considered at an early stage of development?

Most of the the other stuff has been said already by the other posters
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #20
evoluder

Thank you for taking community feedback. Although it is not an FPS, I am going to bring up Resident Evil 4 in this post. Mostly because I believe that the developers did a terrific job making a fun and engrossing game. I second most of the feedback already provided but I will put in my own words what I value. I have the following comments for what make an FPS and other games fun for me to play:

1. Advancement. Give the player a sense of growth and accomplishment. Reward the player for advancing through the game and provide a motive for playing longer. RPGs provide character growth, wealth, and world items. FPS games typically only provide world items (in most cases just weapons). A good example of a middle path is Resident Evil 4; the player is provided with weapons that change over time, they can be upgraded and exchanged, you can buy health if what you find in the world is not enough. In order to pay for these things you look for treasure which provides the player with a motive to fully explore the game world. It is my opinion that RE4 would benefit from additional character growth and customization but it is a remarkably fun game to play as is. If the game did not have a merchant, treasure, and large selection of upgradeable weapons it would lose much of its appeal. Doom 3 is an amazing game, for the first couple of hours. But as a Doom player I never feel really compelled to search out the far reaches of the base because I am never truly rewarded for doing so. At the end of the game what do I have to show for my time? Items that improve my ability to survive because I have expended to effort to look for secrets is a really fun aspect of gaming. Body armor, larger inventory, health items, character upgrades (Deus Ex 1,2), new weapons, weapon upgrades, etc. You can have character advancement without adding the overhead of a full-blown RPG.

2. Variation. Varied levels, enemies, items, weapons. My biggest complaint regarding Halo and Halo2 is the level déjà vu: room after room looking exactly the same. Halo2 is much better in this regard but still gives me this feeling. Doom 3 is worse. Each room is not identical to the last but it all feels the same, plus it is excessively dark. There is some variation but not enough in my opinion. I do not get the sense that I am progressing. I enjoy moving from distinct area to distinct area, each with its own unique antagonists and unique environment. It refocuses and reinvigorates the player because he has new challenges in a new setting. Varied weapons are important to give each player a personal style. This necessitates each weapon being useful. How much time did you play with the pistol in Doom 3? The pistol is useful throughout RE4, for me that is fun; plus it means that designing, coding, and testing that gameplay element was worthwhile for the developer. Frankly, I liked the pistol in Doom 3 and wanted to use it but I never really had a reason to.

3. Weapon Balance. Since weapons are so central to FPS gameplay they should all be useful. They should look convincing and sound the part. I agree with previous posts about the need for weapons to sound powerful. If you have ever fired a handgun you know that sound, force, and smell all contribute to a jarring experience. When you shoot a weapon you want it to feel powerful. This of course needs to be balanced with the fun factor. The assault rifle in Doom 3 is an example of an unconvincing FPS weapon; I swear the demons were laughing at me. Weapons do not need to look completely over the top either. Personally it adds very little to the experience for me. Weapons are objects designed for complete utility. As much power in as small a package as possible, tailored for its specific purpose (concealment, squad support, long-range engagement, etc.). I would imagine that future weapons are only going to get better at this. The way that the weapon projectile interacts with the world is also important. It needs to look powerful and it needs to incapacitate what it is aimed at. Games where you have to empty a magazine to bring down a single enemy are not fun. There may be times when you have to use more ammunition or a bigger weapon but making a gun weak or even useless is not enjoyable. Many FPS games suffer from this problem. Tactical games like the Rainbow Six series on PC and Consoles are fun in this regard, you feel powerful but not overtly so. RE4 does this pretty well too. If you are skilled with your aim you can eliminate enemies quickly and conserve ammo; conversely, if you are sloppy it will take a lot more time and ammunition. It is fun plus it provides the game player with an incentive to improve her skills. The hit detection of RE4 is also a lot of fun. I am not very interested in blowing off enemy limbs but it is fun and rewarding to be able to affect the enemy differently by shooting it in different parts of its body. The last piece is how the weapons affect the environment. Firefights are more exciting and engrossing when debris is flying off the walls, objects and windows are shattering, dust and smoke fills the room. I also agree with the idea presented earlier of object penetration, this could be a fun element if managed carefully.

4. Immersion. Textures, lighting, level design, physics, and story all contribute to immersion. We all play games to have an experience that is out of our ordinary lives. A powerful visual tool (game engine) lets you, the designer, immerse the player more thoroughly. You can tell a better and more complete story and you can provide interesting and unique gameplay experiences. So, while all of this is important it has to contribute to the experience you want to create. Doom 3 is a remarkable technical achievement, at least it looks as such; but the overall experience is not that memorable. This is a tough one, while I think it is important that any engine you produce or purchase needs to be comparable to then current technology, how it is exploited to add to the gameplay is paramount. The topic of cutscenes came up in earlier posts; RE4 had an interesting element that required you to dodge during some cutscenes in order to continue. I think that is an interesting tool for keeping the player involved in the story progression.

5. Multiplayer. Co-op is a blast. Let me play through the game with a friend or two. I have played through both Halo and Halo2 numerous times co-op, not once by myself.

To put it in a nutshell:
Increase gameplay depth through character progression, interactive environments, character items (e.g. motion tracker, IR goggles, claymores, whatever is relevant to the game), and useful, powerful weapons.

Build varied and interesting levels: indoors, panoramic outdoors, and please let me see the light of day sometimes! Weather effects are nice as well.

AI is also important but I don’t necessarily need a chess game. As the protagonist I want a challenge but I also want to feel powerful and successful.

You guys put a tremendous amount of work in to this software so give me a reason to fully explore the world you have created and to keep playing.

Thank you again for taking this input.

Best regards.

evoluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #21
BrushBaron
Level Designer

Great feedback everyone. Really appreciate the time you guys are making to write all of this and it's nice to see some new faces who registered to give us their feedback.

-Reid
BrushBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #22
cloetus

Thanks for asking this question!

I think it's important to not have arbitrary limitations on what you can do, for example being a badass of some kind who can't punch or climb over a barrier or some such. Like in Deus Ex. Crikey!

Another thing that drives me crazy is when your badass secret agent/mercenary/cyborg killer from hell can (and frequently does) die because using a ladder is so damn hard. I mean really. I'm a fatass slob and I've never fallen off a damn ladder. I like how Tomb Raider handles this.

I also like the ability to choose the direction your character's development goes (Deus Ex) instead of locking you into a "character class". Having your behavior affect how others react to you, the game's story arc and so forth (DE, True Crime).

I also have really been enjoying the kung fu stuff in True Crime and the Sword action in Lord of the Rings or in the Star Wars FPS games. So I'd like some cool HTH action.

I second all the physics and deformable world stuff others have so ably described above.

Nipples are good too. As is GOGA.

I also like the way gun modes are used in the America's Army game (and to a lesser extent in UT). In "Real LIfe" almost any gun can be fired in a variety of ways--handguns can be fired "snapshot", from the hip gun fighter-style, in a classic target shooting mode (precision fire in True Crime), rifles can fire single, burst, FA, snapshot, shoulder, prone, with a sight, scope, and so forth. Shotgun realism would be nice too--a 12 Ga. throws a fist-full of .38s into a tea cup across a room, not a thimble of BBs all over the wall.

I like randomized levels, too--helps for replay fun and you can't just memorize everything.

True Crime's "take cover" mode is pretty cool, but far from perfect--I'd like to have something that worked better. Poke your automatic carbine around the corner and hold the button down--you can't aim, but you'll scare the enemy pretty bad.

John Woo style bullet time is fun

Must run on a Mac, too, or it will really piss me off!

Lots of different ways to climb up on things, stacking objects, giving another player a hand up, ropes, clinging to the cracks in the wall...

Again, thanks for asking, this was fun!
cloetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #23
Xenogenetic
Addict

thank you staraffinity
Old 05-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #24
badman
Sheep Inspector

Send a message via ICQ to badman Send a message via AIM to badman Send a message via MSN to badman

Let's try to keep it constructive.

If memory serves, all of Ritual's major releases were brought to the Mac by MacPlay and Aspyr.
badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #25
chris409

I'll echo two things already mentioned:

Growth - this provides the player with a sense of accomplishment and advancement. Very important, so please take a cue to RPGs on that one. I want a game that not only tickles my eyes, but pulls me into the world.

The other is use cross-platform development tools, or at least support the Mac platform. Having a game you can't play is no fun at all. Blizzard pulls this off and does quite well, so my hunch is that you guys can too.
chris409 is offline   Reply With Quote